Good Tourist Activities In Bangkok For Blind Visitor

petecooper

Hi all

We have a good friend coming to visit us for a week or so in Bangkok. She's totally blind. So, I'm trying to think up some activities which would be good things to do, which don't require sight - things which are good taste/smell/touch/hearing experiences which are unique to (or characteristic of) Thailand.

She's keen on an elephant ride, so that's easy. Thought I would combine that day with a visit to the Tiger Temple (despite various people's opinions about the place, patting a tiger is a pretty unusual experience, so it's in). Thai cooking school is another one I thought of, since she does actually cook things and that's a good one for the senses. Massages and spa stuff too, check.

Obviously I am not going to bother with the likes of the Grand Palace since not being able to see it kind of defeats the purpose.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions for suitable activities and "sensory experiences" while here?

Thanks!

I think you have them all covered, you've already suggested pretty much everything I can think of. Related to the food, you could take her fishing or squid catching, those might be interesting if she's into that. If she likes the beach, you could go para-sailing with her if any of the para-sailing companies have a partnered set-up.

Ummm, trying to think of anything else...

why dont u just ask her what she's interested in and what appeals to her; for all u know she might enjoy shopping etc cause even if she cant see, she knows what she likes as far as colours/textures (if she's blind from birth she probably had someone help her with what colours look good on her/what preferences she has...) ; if she's a city girl, then whatever city girls like. if she's a country girl, then she might go in to sensory overload a bit, hearing and 'feeling' wise.

im night blind and i find any city very hard especially those with horrible side walks with holes in teh middle and raised sewer covers and broken side walks and bangkok certainly has plenty of all of the above.

bina

israel

Definately find out prior (from her - her definition of sensory over load...) BKK alone on a "good day" can overwhelm anyone!

Now, Tiger Temple - as you said - some people have their own oppinions, her tangiable concept - and overall impression of "feelings" and "senses" are unique - which many do envy if they don't realize what they have... As you mentioned would truly be an experience (for ALL!)

Thinking about what someone posted - variances in city / or - country personality ,,, well that is a different story and could go positive OR negative in either direction..either way, I think she will be in great company (you and others) and in any scenario - will have a great holiday..

Truly ask her - what is it SHE would enjoy doing while she is here.... Her holiday and of course, not knocking a great friend (you) for asking for suggestions...

I myself, have 2 very close friends that have asked the same query for their friends visiting - and the only genuine suggestion I could give them, is let them give you ideas of what they would like to do, combine that with the suggestions you are getting here, your knowledge of LOS and the internet, not hard to do, and should make this a heck of a holiday (and memorable for all!)

PS: Sorry for the typos - kids everywhere in the house tonight! (lol)

Not sure how athletic she is, but the Bangkok marathon is on in November. In addition to the sighted people, there are a good many blind people run in that - usually alongside a sighted person. This includes one or two world famous Kenyans. Much of the proceeds also go to blind charities. Could also be a chance to meet other great people in the country who are visually impaired - some locals and some foreign - as well as sighted people with a great heart who will just run alongside them.

"Thanon Chan Kao" (="old Chan road") in Yannawa, district close to Sathorn has a blind insitute that does Thai massage. They are all performed by blind Thais. Could be a nice experience for you both to share together, as well as a very traditional Thai thing to do, while helping people earn a living at the same time... :)

For a cooking school, you might try contacting the Oriental Hotel down by the river. They do cooking lessons in a very nice atmosphere. As a 5 star hotel I would expect them to have experience and professionalism to at least consider doing a session for someone who is blind, and they speak excellent English with top quality chef. Isn't that expensive either, considering - though I'm sure there are cheaper places.

"Thanon Chan Kao" (="old Chan road") in Yannawa, district close to Sathorn has a blind insitute that does Thai massage. They are all performed by blind Thais. Could be a nice experience for you both to share together, as well as a very traditional Thai thing to do, while helping people earn a living at the same time... :)

Actually, I think massage of any kind would be a great idea.  Experiencing Thai, oil, and foot massage gives a nice variation on the theme.

A canal tour in Bkk could be a welcome respite from the usual surface traffic.

The half day trip can be rather pleasant and relaxing on the senses.

Always been one of my favorites. :)

Edited by cobra

Food, music, temples, all excellent ideas. I would ask her if taking a short massage class would interest her. There's many who claim that the blind make the best masseuses due to their heightened sense of touch.

please ask her what she likes

a simple walk along the klong where one can feel the light river breeze and hear all those wonderful sights and sounds is lovely

a trip to an orphanage where the sounds of those dear little children would bring joy to anyone's heart

a massage

a spa

a concert

I hope she has a great time. :)

Hi all

We have a good friend coming to visit us for a week or so in Bangkok. She's totally blind. So, I'm trying to think up some activities which would be good things to do, which don't require sight - things which are good taste/smell/touch/hearing experiences which are unique to (or characteristic of) Thailand.

She's keen on an elephant ride, so that's easy. Thought I would combine that day with a visit to the Tiger Temple (despite various people's opinions about the place, patting a tiger is a pretty unusual experience, so it's in). Thai cooking school is another one I thought of, since she does actually cook things and that's a good one for the senses. Massages and spa stuff too, check.

Obviously I am not going to bother with the likes of the Grand Palace since not being able to see it kind of defeats the purpose.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions for suitable activities and "sensory experiences" while here?

Thanks!

Here's another one for you. A bit odd but well worth thinking about.

I live on soi 13, right in the center of town and in my building is a very nice western chap who runs all sorts of classes in the arts of self defense. He is very well qualified and is simply just a nice person.

I know he teaches disabled people and he once mentioned how he also taught some blind people.

He told me how some of the best judo players in japan were blind due to their sensory perception.If this appeal's let me know I am sure he would be more than happy to run a few classes for her.

Its great to see blind people enjoying themselves.

The gym's name is boxer-rebellion.

a trip to an orphanage where the sounds of those dear little children would bring joy to anyone's heart

I hadn't thought of that, but this is a great idea.  Some of the orphanages have segregated areas for kids with HIV or physical disabilities (I'm not going to get into the politics or sociology of that policy here).  I am not sure of your friend's personality.  She may or may not want to become a "poster child" for those kids.  But if that suits her personality, I am sure the kids would get a tremendous benefit meeting a blind  westerner, someone who can travel, someone who can live a life of adventure and learning, someone successful enough at least to be able to afford taking a trip like this.