Will My Phone Work In Laos

mazimus

Im off to Laos with my wife next week just wondering will my phone that has a Thai sim card work or will i have to get another sim card when i get to Laos,i am sure some of our intrepid explorers on the forum will have the answer for me....Thanks!

Im off to Laos with my wife next week just wondering will my phone that has a Thai sim card work or will i have to get another sim card when i get to Laos,i am sure some of our intrepid explorers on the forum will have the answer for me....Thanks!

Unfortunately no, I was in pakse 2 months ago, although 1-2-call sim appeared to have signal,it would,nt work, purchased a $10 sim card from market. It is amazing why 1 phone company cant supply thailand, laos camb, vietnam, you could fit the whole lot into qld, & n.s.w.

regards songhklasid.

Yes, it will work if you ask your phone company to allow International Roaming. However I find it cheaper to use a local SIM card as the charges for International Roaming can be quite steep.

My 1.2. call phone only worked near the border area (inside Lao - Suvannakhet) area within 4 kilo.

Not too sure about Vientiane or Pakse.

But a Lao sim card will probably be best.

I bought 5 Lao sim cards last week for anyone who wants one,

100bt (25,000Kip) gets you a new sim and 15,000kip talk time.

Handy if you want to call the taxi guy or Agent on arrival.

PM me if you want one. :)

edit: don't forget to have your contacts on yr Thai Sim AND the phone.

Edited by GungaDin

I use ais POST paid and it work all over aisa, at least everywher i have been . Cambodia, Laoa, Burma, Malaysia, sing and Bali) europe and the states ( its a 3.5 G Nokia E 51) I have always had international roaming. maybe furter away from cities where no signal exists who knows,as in laos never got o far away from Vientiene. But it worked all over Burma and Cambodia

Edited by phuketrichard

I use ais POST paid and it work all over aisa, at least everywher i have been . Cambodia, Laoa, Burma, Malaysia, sing and Bali) europe and the states ( its a 3.5 G Nokia E 51) I have always had international roaming. maybe furter away from cities where no signal exists who knows,as in laos never got o far away from Vientiene. But it worked all over Burma and Cambodia

It's worth mentioning that AIS is (or was a couple of years ago - and I doubt it has changed!) the only mobile phone company whose SIM cards will do international roaming in Myanmar (Burma). If travelling to Myanmar, the only way you will be able to have a mobile phone (unless someone lends you a local one) is if you use an AIS SIM card and 'roam' there. A Burmese SIM card costs a fortune and is extremely difficult to get.

Most GSM services can work anywhere in the world if the service is activated, no charge until you use it, which is steep, though some offer discounts in exchange for a monthly surcharge. If you're online often, skype is hard to beat. Unfortunately Asia seems slow to get WiFi.