Torrents: Downloads Versus Uploads

vagabond48

Just ranting here.

Generally, my building's wifi 3Meg TOT international internet access is slow, averaging dial up speeds or less. I would be thrilled if I got 10% of the 3Meg. I usually keep my laptop on late at night hoping to get much better speeds but this still results in very little data being downloaded. Over the last 6 weeks, I have gotten a couple fat data downloads (for me) of about 1.5GB and uploads of up to 1GB. But recently, I have noticed that uploads have outweighed the downloads by many multiples. Last night, from about 1:30A I downloaded 100MB versus uploading 500MB. I would have been happy if it had been the reserve. It is really frustrating to notice a number of times getting slow dial up speeds on the uploads but nearly nothing on the downloads. My speed limits are set to download up to 300K and to upload up to 50K. I use the latest utorrent program running on XP sp2. My wifi through the day usually runs well over 40 Mbps.

Many of my torrents appear to be very popular. Is it TOT limiting me or that for some torrents data is not available for me while my data is available for them.

I also notice during the day that I will start my utorrent program which will download between 5 to 10MB with 1 or more seeds than drop off to nothing. I then wait for utorrent to end. It seems to take 70 to 90 seconds to do that, is that because of the many torrents I still haven't removed. I restart it and can re-establish the torrents again. While at home I may have to do that many times.

Regarding downloading late at night, I guess if a lot of people are doing that then it may jam up the internet highway just as bad as during the day.

End of rant. :)

I keep my torrents running 24/7.

Unlike web browsing, torrent speeds are pretty consistent -- day or night.

Set limits into your torrent program so that it is not demanding too many simultaneous connections and it is not clogging the upload bandwidth.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.ph...light=p2p+limit

My torrent program is already using optimal settings and works like it should. Web browsing on the other hand, has been a little sketchy lately; even with torrents off.

For the past two years, I had enjoyed a solid web browsing experience -- which is rather unusual coming from a Thai ISP. However, the last 2-3 months I've seen a significant slowdown while browsing websites, especially during the daytime hours. I hope it's only temporary; keeping fingers crossed. :)

Just ranting here.

Generally, my building's wifi 3Meg TOT international internet access is slow, averaging dial up speeds or less. I would be thrilled if I got 10% of the 3Meg. I usually keep my laptop on late at night hoping to get much better speeds but this still results in very little data being downloaded. Over the last 6 weeks, I have gotten a couple fat data downloads (for me) of about 1.5GB and uploads of up to 1GB. But recently, I have noticed that uploads have outweighed the downloads by many multiples. Last night, from about 1:30A I downloaded 100MB versus uploading 500MB. I would have been happy if it had been the reserve. It is really frustrating to notice a number of times getting slow dial up speeds on the uploads but nearly nothing on the downloads. My speed limits are set to download up to 300K and to upload up to 50K. I use the latest utorrent program running on XP sp2. My wifi through the day usually runs well over 40 Mbps.

Many of my torrents appear to be very popular. Is it TOT limiting me or that for some torrents data is not available for me while my data is available for them.

I also notice during the day that I will start my utorrent program which will download between 5 to 10MB with 1 or more seeds than drop off to nothing. I then wait for utorrent to end. It seems to take 70 to 90 seconds to do that, is that because of the many torrents I still haven't removed. I restart it and can re-establish the torrents again. While at home I may have to do that many times.

Regarding downloading late at night, I guess if a lot of people are doing that then it may jam up the internet highway just as bad as during the day.

End of rant. :D

Check you calander to see if it's school holidays, I'm up country and school holidays jams the web so badly that most of the time I can't even get on to my ISP!! So, think yourself lucky? :)