Anybody Visit A Tailor Recently

Jim_E

Who knows the latest prices for a suit or shirt? Last time I bought one (Rajawongse) a shirt was US$25 and I forget the price of a suit.

I've always used Rajawongse and found the quality to be adequate, but even with my requests for a looser fit the stuff always came out a little snug for my liking.

I might also consider Art's or July, maybe Perry because I think the quality might be better... but I think those have very high prices and cater more toward the super fashion conscious.

I will continue to stay away from the shops that cater heavily to the cut-price tourist market.

I wish there was a good tailor out toward Don Muang (where I live) because I really hate going down to Sukumvit or Silom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim, I had the same question. I resurrected an old criticism of Rajawongse to hope it get some posts... but I recall reading before that he seems indifferent at times to sizing garments to how the customer requests (e.g. too tight as you say). Do you know how much July's is?

I have the same dilemma...

I went to 2 tailors in 3 months. Got ripped off by one in the shopping center of the Conrad appartments. Hate the shirts and already checked the pants. So I tried a shirt (1500 Baht because it is double indian cotton...) and a pair of pants (3000 Baht) from a tailor in the basement of the Landmark hotel (he is recommended in the book of the Austrlian ladies). But I need to say it is close to the same. At least he admitted that just about all tailors send their work to the same tailor factories in town.

Where oh where do I find a tailor that does his own work? I dont even mind paying some more for it since I am big size (belly that is...).

Hi People, I need also some advice.

I want to get a nice suit, but reading some old posts I just got more confused. Raja at Sukhumvit Soi 4 is the most well know, correct? I also have an XL body, so any other tailor u guys suggested??

Regards,

Bernardo

My experience with Jesse and Victor at Rajawongse (not Raja, though I believe they are related) is you must insist on it fitting like you want. It also helps if they believe you wil be a repeat customer.

I would still recomend them.

Shirts are 1,000 baht, don't remember what suits cost.

TH

Is it just me or is there something really odd about this thread.

I reckon you are on the money. :)

well, i don't follow the cryptic wittiness of these last two posts, but I'm still wondering if anyone recommends higher-end tailors above Rajawongse, e.g. how much are July's suits? I'd prefer going to place, as you say, that wouldn't require constant insistance that it not be too tight. apparently Rajawongse has bad selection of fabrics too.

Why go to a taylor? they just sub contract the work to a Thai sweat shop,i go straight to the source,here in Pattaya i go straight to the woman who makes the shirts and she charges me 400 baht to make wonderfull ones ,she can also make suits if i want.

Why go to a taylor? they just sub contract the work to a Thai sweat shop,i go straight to the source,here in Pattaya i go straight to the woman who makes the shirts and she charges me 400 baht to make wonderfull ones ,she can also make suits if i want.

Where is she exactly?

• 2 weeks later...

There are also the tailors on the third floor of Fortune Town near the escalator closest to the MRT station. I think they are called Harrot? Great prices, but watch the fabrics. I got a few shirts made there a couple of years ago, but I brought my own silk from Jim Thompson. The shirts are great and I still use them all the time!

Guys...I've just discovered this place which I was quite satisfied with. As opposed to all other tailors, the owner herself is a woman and knows how to fit both men and women clothes beautifully and follows your instructions precisely Jhasper Fashion. Really loved my fit. Gives fashion advise when you are selecting your styles and fabric. Affordable price! Need not say I had tried one other tailor but they didn't do as good a job as this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the replies to this thread while traveling, but here's what I found:

Stopped at Art's on Silom soi Thaniya. I was looking my sloppy best, so I may have gotten the polite brush off. After all, they asked me how long I would be in town before telling me a suit would take a week longer. Anyway, for what it's worth, I was told that it takes three weeks and the price was over $1600.

Well over my price range to say the least. I skipped July, even though it is not too far from Art's, figuring that the price there was going to be way over budget, too.

I went to my old standby Rajawongse. 12000 Baht for a suit, 1000 Baht for a shirt, much the same as it has been for years.

For shirts, MILAN @ Asoke BTS comes recommended. But the guy requires you to work with him, so it may take 10 shirts to "get there".

Narin "Couture does the work in house but expect to pay way more.

For a decent fit but the usual issues of "contracted out tayloring" and "dubious fabrics" when you think pure wool etc

is Ambassador. For the cost conscious who know how this works.

Place a small order, then come again. Mysteriously, prices will drop.

I think shirts were 1,000 and pants 1,200. Fabrics - I seriously doubt there is 100% pure wool used.

Cotton? I hear the talk of "Egyption cotton" but dunno.

At least, the Ambassador fitter (young Indian guy, certainly not a tailor) spared me a baggy crotch and got the measuring right.

As the OP wants mainly shirts and pants, I would try MILAN for shirts and AMBASSADOR for pants (unless you want 100 % natural fabrics).

Remember, do not place your order at once! Prices may fall by 50%.

For shirts, I try eBay where I got some pure linen Neiman Marcus shirts for this hot climate.

There you can find real British bespoke, if that's what you like.

The only thing I go to tailors to is pants. The W and L won't work for me, somehow.

Suits? Try a sakko - and then mix and match with pants. A blue one with sandy / grey / black pants etc.

Cuff links - I got 40 on eBay, there are some collectors :) it adds a nice touch IMHO.

Some companies sell matching ties and cuff links...

To sum up my own experience, I would rather buy that $ 50 Gieves & Hawkes Savile Row

or a 100% woven silk jacket on eBay than pay twice to get an okay fitting but definitely not 100% natural

fabric sakko. And if you are from Europe, there are German eBay stores which sell like new sakkos for 10% or less.

So you might get a good deal with the right for a refund. Try searching for top cloth brands like Cabal or Dormeuil.

Good luck - and if in doubt, check out eBay.

Chris

www.englishcut.com

www.narin-couture.com/contact.html

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...=0&tstart=0

Pattaya? :D years ago, I tried some taylor shops and found they all used the same sweat shop.

Fabric: 100% polyester, oh, I mean "Thai silk". :)

You should see these incredibly shapeless pants, again 100% polyester.

shame, I threw them away. Wouldn't buy such pants and a dozen polyester shirts for THB 100 each!

A Marks & Spencer suit or Sakko bought at a season sale will be great value compared to most things made over here.

And if money is tight, sometimes you can buy a dozen dress shirts on eBay.

If you like the feeling of getting brownnosed, go for it.

If you like normal quality stuff made from all natural fabrics, go elsewhere.

Chris

Here are some tailors who pop up in another thread. I can vouch for the last two.

Some problems can be avoided by having a) a sample shirt and :) a c l e a r list of things you want altered.

Like very small shoulder pads / high armholes / modern cut / collar style and for pants, the crotch area (or it might be nearer your knees, I swear, making walking awkward).

http://www.moonriverbyvj.com he seems to do the work in-house, like Milan and Narin. No own experience though

Rajawongse - Near the Landmark hotel

3. Raja's - Inside Sukhumvit soi 4

4. Milan - Opposite Robinsons' (a little more pricey)

5. Narin Couture - Between soi 8 and soi 10 (again, a little more pricey, forget it if you want something for under $ 450 for a suit)

FYI: a few hours ago, 100% cashmere jackets by Zegna and xY sold on www.ebay.de for ~ 600 Baht plus shipping.

Add a dry cleaning and you can buy several brand name items and have them shipped to Thailand for the cost of one substandard, poly-something mix fabric sacco.

Cheers, Chris