Text (sms) Advertising Plague

Bearnagh

A few months back I got a new SIM card from Truemove which has fairly good call rates to the UK. I only had it a matter of a few days before I was being plagued with text-message adverts for all sorts of silly things. What made it worse was that, being in Thai language, I had to ask my wife every time, what each message meant.

I went to the Truemove office in CM and requested that I be taken off the hit-list for advertising. That seemed to work ok... at least for a while. It's started again however. This morning just before 8 am, I was wakened by an incoming message. My Thai wife tells me that it's a special offer for the services of a telephonic Guru! Just what I need at 0800 hrs eh? (OK - I know that you're going to say "Why don't you switch it off at night?" but I do need to keep it on as I have family in the UK with some medical issues just now).

I am now giving serious thought to changing my phone provider but, before I make the move, does anyone know of a provider that does not pollute your phone with garbage like this 24 hrs a day? :)

Edited by Bearnagh

I get the same from AIS.

If my memory is correct though, did I not read a month or so back that the 3 main providers agreed not to do this anymore as below? The thing is do they really expect millions of people to register not to receive the messages?

The responsibility should be on them to stop it and let us opt in if we want it.

Mobile providers band together against SMS spam

BANGKOK, 11 August 2009 (NNT) - Thailand's 3 top cellular network providers are to band together to develop anti-spam software to tackle junk SMS messages.

AIS, DTAC and TrueMove, Thailand's leading mobile phone network providers will jointly develop software which will be able to block SMS spam which mostly consists of advertisements sent to mobile phone users without their consent. Phone users will be allowed to register with a central system that will filter out possible spam messages. With this new service, they will be able to choose what types of messages they do not want to receive.

Currently AIS has logged an average of 10,000 spam messages sent via its network monthly while DTAC and True Move have recorded 1,000 messages per month.

That's very interesting. I hadn't spotted that at the time. I wonder when they plan to implement that?

Thanks!

The key takeaway from that announcement is that they will jointly develop software to handle this. No dates mentioned. Considering how long it has taken for 3G, I wouldn't hold my breath on a solution soon.

I don't really see the big deal about this. Unlike in the US, you are not charged for incoming SMS messages. Just delete them as the come in. If your phone is of reasonably high quality, you can get software that will screen incoming sms, filter appropriately, and you can select the type of notifications your phone gives.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I don't really see the big deal about this. Unlike in the US, you are not charged for incoming SMS messages. Just delete them as the come in. If your phone is of reasonably high quality, you can get software that will screen incoming sms, filter appropriately, and you can select the type of notifications your phone gives.

Well I don't know why we as consumer's have to go find filters to stop a paid service provider from spamming us, especially when they agreed to stop it.

The more I think about it, I reach the conclusion that Thailand is obsessed with advertising. It's in your face 24/7. As I write this, there's one of those Godawful trucks touring my village at 2mph with a "Blues Brothers" loudspeaker on top, yelling about some furniture sale. I sure wish I had the bazooka from the same movie! Then there's the mailbox stuffed yet again with all the same old crap about cheap washing powder in Carrefour etc.

I wonder when the penny will drop with the people who pollute our brains with this never-ending cacophony of advertising that by overloading the consumer, they simply devalue the currency of their message?

Edited by Bearnagh

AIS stopped sms spamming after few phone calls to their service center. However now they are sending these service type messages that just pop up in your screen at least 10 per day. Propably have to call them again few times to see if they are able to stop it.