Paint For Galvanised Steel

Hssl

I need to paint a large amount of galvanised steel sheet - one for looks and two that it will hopefully give a few more years protection against rust.

In uk/europe the brand hammerite is what i would use and use the metal primmer from the same brand - i have had good results.

Of course TIT you can't get the real deal hammerite and the primmer to go with it though i have seen a 'local' version but no primmer.

Any ideas??

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

Galvanizing is a zinc coating which is the best form of protective coating. If it is slightly weatherd then you dont need an etch primer. Simply wash the galv with fresh water and brush with a stiff bristle brush to remove any corrosion products.

Zinc corrosion is white as opposed to the ginger colour of steel corrosion so dont be fooled into thinking there is none. You can buy a Hammerite type paint from Carefour - if thats the appearance you desire. However, any conventional gloss or synthetic top coat would do. Any primer would also suffice and would be advisable just to give better attachment to the topcoat and better long term performance

• 3 months later...