The Whispering Thai

delmersomsri

My Thai wife and I have returned to Thailand after 35yrs in the USA. I'm on a retirement visa. Six months here already and we are still trying to get used to the noise level generated when Thai's have a conversation. At first I thought they were in a heated argument. Told my wife that I don't remember this from 35yrs ago. She said she did not also. Laughed the other day because two Thais were trying to whisper and were having touble understanding each other. Is it the tone infliction of the language that requires a raised voice to be understood? Has anyone else notice this? Sometimes we can hear conversations held across the fence between neighbors five blocks away. Makes us yearn for more quiet surroundings. Going deaf and crazy! :)

I have a theory. Most Thais are hearing impaired.

It starts off from the moment they are conceived. They are bombarded by village announcements, trucks with loudspeakers, blown speakers from excessive volumes, music, tv, advertisements on the bts, ladies with microphones in malls, vcd players on buses and vans, chickens, glass packs on cars or motorcycles, traffic, police whistles, and the list goes on and on. Everyone is assaulted by noise for large portions of their lives. So they speak loudly, not only because of the ambient noise, but also because they can't hear very well.

It starts off from the moment they are conceived. They are bombarded by village announcements, trucks with loudspeakers, blown speakers from excessive volumes, music, tv, advertisements on the bts, ladies with microphones in malls, vcd players on buses and vans, chickens, glass packs on cars or motorcycles, traffic, police whistles, and the list goes on and on. Everyone is assaulted by noise for large portions of their lives. So they speak loudly, not only because of the ambient noise, but also because they can't hear very well.

I do belive you theory is sound, one of the reasons my Thai wife and I are returning home after just one year of retirement in the LOS. We need to have some peace and Quite. Just can't get it here. Had enough,just do not want to take it any longer and I have other choices. :)

I think is the language and so many tones. Most of people here are becoming tone deaf and they cant quite understand each other unless talk loud. Of course the loud music and all noise in the streets don’t help the situation either

Only two spots for the noise machine volumne control, FULL ON or off , no matter what the apparatus they are using , I still cannot understand why two people sitting shoulder to shoulder have to shout in each others ear . Asked a Thai lady once why she went into the soi to answer her cell the shout loudly into it , she said "The people I speak to are long way away in Kohn Kahn " Go figure ???????????

After watching and listening to a gaggle of women eating/visiting, it appears they try to drown out the perceived competitive speaker. A group of 6 seem to have 4 or 5 speaking at the same time (different topics) while inhaling the food. The men seem to speak in a more moderate tone (few exceptions), one at a time. (unless excited), Maybe after living with a constantly braying donkey, they enjoy the respite. Having mentioned the volume/piercing tone thing, I get various reasons/excuses. Examples

The kids are in their room with door closed

You are hard of hearing

You ignore me

I was watching tv and talking on phone at same time

We had tv/music on so we talk louder

Airplane flew over

Dogs barking

it is in their genes..my wife's sisters live a half a block away from each other and they yell across the road to each other..it is bloody loud, and when women Thai friends get together they speak at light speed( not all do this, but many)

Strange because i find it the opposite...

Sure noise pollution control is something that has not made it here yet with loud speakers and the sassy girls with their megaphones in Central.

However, many times i sit in a noisy restaurant/bar/club and my Mrs or friends will order something extra in almost a whisper in all the other noise but the waitress serving at another table or at the till will here them!

As no else one noticed this phenomena of almost silent esp food ordering....?

I wish they would drop a little bit of testosterone into university girls throats because they can sure as hel_l shriek when in a gaggle or on the phone..

My Thai wife and I have returned to Thailand after 35yrs in the USA. I'm on a retirement visa. Six months here already and we are still trying to get used to the noise level generated when Thai's have a conversation. At first I thought they were in a heated argument. Told my wife that I don't remember this from 35yrs ago. She said she did not also. Laughed the other day because two Thais were trying to whisper and were having touble understanding each other. Is it the tone infliction of the language that requires a raised voice to be understood? Has anyone else notice this? Sometimes we can hear conversations held across the fence between neighbors five blocks away. Makes us yearn for more quiet surroundings. Going deaf and crazy! :)

Move to Scandinavia. for example Sweden.

The first time i went to the US, one of the first things i noticed was how loud you guys speak.

I thought it was pretty amusing though. So yeah, if you, as an american find Thailand loud, move to Scandinavia. I would say, Thais are not louder than southern europeans or americans.

The men seem to speak in a more moderate tone (few exceptions), one at a time. (unless excited), Maybe after living with a constantly braying donkey, they enjoy the respite.

:D

Never really thought about the whispering Thai, but come to think of it, I've never come across one... as the op says, with no intonation, they'd be screwed. Discussing the whys and wherefores of som tam in whisper mode, perhaps no problem, but anything on string theory or false vacuums leading to big bangs, no chance. :)

Strange because i find it the opposite...

Sure noise pollution control is something that has not made it here yet with loud speakers and the sassy girls with their megaphones in Central.

However, many times i sit in a noisy restaurant/bar/club and my Mrs or friends will order something extra in almost a whisper in all the other noise but the waitress serving at another table or at the till will here them!

As no else one noticed this phenomena of almost silent esp food ordering....?

I wish they would drop a little bit of testosterone into university girls throats because they can sure as hel_l shriek when in a gaggle or on the phone..

My thoughts exactly.

I'm always amazed at how clearly the Thais can hear the lowest of voices over the din that surrounds them.

My house is more or less the last house in the village and it feels like I've moved to a big city.

5.30-7.00 am is funny, you have to laugh.

Usually it's the smallest lady with the loudest voice.It's also close to voting time now so you can imagine all

the loud speakers on the back of the pick ups blasting away.

I volunteer!

-------------------

After my first couple of weeks in BKK, I couldn't believe the non stop, riotess loudness and was looking SO forward to the visit to HER mom's rural, country home, with no cities within 20 miles.

ALL NIGHT LONG, the cacophony of LOUD insects and monkeys howling was just as delicious. I have adopted the standard. Noise in the neighboring condos, I don't knock on the walls anymore, just breathe.

OH, I WISH they would have warned me about the 4:00 AM loud speakers at the temple 20 yards from my window.

ooOOOMHAWGgamMWAAgaMAAAOOOOMAAAHHHGWAHHHHMAAAAA!!!!!!

At least I can now say that I levitated.

--------------------

Yes, the Thais get inured to noise sensitivity.

Edited by eggomaniac

I have loved Thailand for over 20 years, but it has always been my only grip when living their, noise, you notice it when you get back to falangland, its so peace it almost hurts your ears, you can't believe its so quiet.

The noise the B20 lime sellers make trundling slowly down the street, i want to go buy the lot just so they p*** off............

I am sure my hearing has been damaged in Thailand.

Only last week I was walking past Platinum (Pratunam) and just as I crossed the road the security guy standing about 50 centimetres from me decided to blow his whistle as hard as he could. The pain in my ear was incredible and I could still feel the ringing sensation 30 minutes later.

I am sure my hearing has been damaged in Thailand.

Only last week I was walking past Platinum (Pratunam) and just as I crossed the road the security guy standing about 50 centimetres from me decided to blow his whistle as hard as he could. The pain in my ear was incredible and I could still feel the ringing sensation 30 minutes later.

:)

Don't start me on that one! The back to front whistling dudes..!

When I'm reversing give a piercing shriek if I'm about to bash something...don't keep whistling then stop when I'm about to hit something....

It doesn't have the same effect on my reactions when they stop whistling for danger...its back to front....

like football ... play to the whistle as Thais love football you think they would know this rule for whistling! :D

I recently took my 5 year old luk krung to the doctors to have his hearing checked. Turns out his hearing is fine. The noise level at the school is extreme. He just continues in the same voloume when he arrive home. I honestly thought he couldn't hear how loud he was being.

In my day it used to be a 'seen but not heard' situation. Now it's a 'fog horn' situation.

The strange thing is that when we are in public, resturants, bus, trains etc everyone is quiet.