If You Had 25m Baht How Would You Invest It?

1. Clearly mate, she is a very patient woman.

2. You and I are living in two different Thailands, your Thailand sounds far too expensive for me.

3. I would be glad to send those gentleman Mr. Steinbrueck & Mr. Schäuble some of my bills in the mean time.

4. you are obviously worth a quid or two,

5. if you could kindly arrange for me to be placed in you will, I will quietly arrange for your accident :)

1. she is indeed.

2. no we don't. it's the same Thailand. the only difference is the amount of disposable income.

3. that's not exactly how it works. i simply don't pay their bills and use the money for better purposes.

4. it's a handful of quids and change.

5. take a number, the line is long.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worldchild,

No hard feelings, although in principle I guess we have differing views I certainly agree there are the not so reputable individuals and products out there but there are also some very good ones.

Transparency and the ease of understanding I am with you 100% because some products appear to have been put together to confuse the individual which in many cases show why it is important to have a second or even third opinion.

Worldchild,

No hard feelings, although in principle I guess we have differing views I certainly agree there are the not so reputable individuals and products out there but there are also some very good ones.

Transparency and the ease of understanding I am with you 100% because some products appear to have been put together to confuse the individual which in many cases show why it is important to have a second or even third opinion.

Sorry..... Wordchild, can't even spell !!

Right guys, it's all agreed and i'm real happy with the deal, the business is being sold for 30m, but the land the business is located on is leased, I am sub leasing the land and will recieve 350,000 a year for the next three years, then every 3 years a 10% increase. This is the difference between what the new owner is paying in rent and what I have to pay the landlord. All parties are aware and happy with the arrangement.

I'm happy with this deal and I reckon I can survive on this. I may actually move to a cheaper part of thailand, that way I reckon I could live on around 60k. If I use the 350k, and draw as little as possible off the main portfolio, that should grow into a decent amount in 15-20 years.

Im still trying to work out what people spend 100,000 baht per month on, living here. Its Thailand not flaming down town Paris. :)

Try these monthly numbers as an example:

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Im still trying to work out what people spend 100,000 baht per month on, living here. Its Thailand not flaming down town Paris. :)

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Reasonable amounts assuming no kids. Think you're being a little over-indulgent on the hair though! Oh and...

Pharamacy 3,000? :D - that's a hel_l of a lot of condoms . I'd like to re-iterate my suggestion about a vasectomy. On these numbers it would pay for itself in a few months...

Right guys, it's all agreed and i'm real happy with the deal, the business is being sold for 30m, but the land the business is located on is leased, I am sub leasing the land and will recieve 350,000 a year for the next three years, then every 3 years a 10% increase. This is the difference between what the new owner is paying in rent and what I have to pay the landlord. All parties are aware and happy with the arrangement.

I'm happy with this deal and I reckon I can survive on this. I may actually move to a cheaper part of thailand, that way I reckon I could live on around 60k. If I use the 350k, and draw as little as possible off the main portfolio, that should grow into a decent amount in 15-20 years.

trust me. you will want to work again. I have retired 3 times (the first when I was 29) I never lasted more than 3 months and it is nothing to do with needing money. The truth is we all need to be busy or bad things happen!

Having thought these types of scenarios thru myself a few times - and even simulated the money factor over the last couple of years while still working so I'm comfortable with it:

One thing worth considering which hasn't been touched on is the example you might possibly be setting to your child as they grow up. If you want to teach your child the value of working hard in life to earn things, how will you do that if you yourself aren't seen to be working? Not sure I'm comfortable with setting the example that we have enough money so no need to work - the child won't see or remember how hard you worked to be where you are now. There's some tricky issues ahead on that area...

Edited by fletchsmile

Having thought these types of scenarios thru myself a few times - and even simulated the money factor over the last couple of years while still working so I'm comfortable with it:

One thing worth considering which hasn't been touched on is the example you might possibly be setting to your child as they grow up. If you want to teach your child the value of working hard in life to earn things, how will you do that if you yourself aren't seen to be working? Not sure I'm comfortable with setting the example that we have enough money so no need to work - the child won't see or remember how hard you worked to be where you are now. There's some tricky issues ahead on that area...

a valid question! however, most of the persons i know who have considerable investments, and especially those who live of the proceeds of their investments, are working hard managing their money to protect what they own and adapt to the ever changing economic and market environment.

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Well you are a spender, a consumer. I can live off of less then 65,000 bht a month in Canada which has a relatively high cost of living. Good luck with your retirement plans :D

trust me. you will want to work again. I have retired 3 times (the first when I was 29) I never lasted more than 3 months and it is nothing to do with needing money. The truth is we all need to be busy or bad things happen!

I am 25 and I took 6 months off, went to Thailand 2 times. I loved sitting on my ass without stress and BS.

a valid question! however, most of the persons i know who have considerable investments, and especially those who live of the proceeds of their investments, are working hard managing their money to protect what they own and adapt to the ever changing economic and market environment.

Absolutely correct. I like to claim I havent worked since I was 30 but the reality is I put in 4 or 5 hours a day managing my investments. And that does not mean day trading. It means far more boring things like reading 200 page report and accounts. But if you want a decent return on your investments you have to do it, not only to get a decent return, but to be plugged into those who are making the same sort of effort. I also find that just being a Director in a listed company takes up 6 days a month when it used to take up 6 hours. All the corporate governance stuff and all.

I am 25 and I took 6 months off, went to Thailand 2 times. I loved sitting on my ass without stress and BS.

Yeah Sokal, but you slightly miss the point. As you are only 25 then sitting on your ass without stress and BS is appealing. Sitting on your ass without stress or bullshit for the next 50 years might end up becoming quite stressful.

Yeah Sokal, but you slightly miss the point. As you are only 25 then sitting on your ass without stress and BS is appealing. Sitting on your ass without stress or bullshit for the next 50 years might end up becoming quite stressful.

Ohh Abrack thats a bit harsh. There is always bungy jumping without the bungy :)

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

And you never go on holiday, never replace your car, have no family expenses and drink water....

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

And you never go on holiday, never replace your car, have no family expenses and drink water....

I was trying to answer one particular posters question! To answer yours, misc = 35k.

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Well you are a spender, a consumer. I can live off of less then 65,000 bht a month in Canada which has a relatively high cost of living. Good luck with your retirement plans :D

Presumably your estimate of 65k in Canada does not include rent/housing costs.

I do the sums on a fairly regular basis and compare costs of living in the UK and Thailand - my current view is that at an exchange rate of 55 baht per Pound, UK living costs are marginally cheaper than Thailand.

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000 - how does one only consume 9,000THB of groceries in a month! Its a lot more if your buying imported foods.

Petrol 6,000 - not relevant for all.

Clothes 1,300 - Haha, sorry, are those clothes for kids? The maid? who buys clothes for 1,300THB a month?? Either leave it out or make it a larger budget!

Eating Out 10,000 - Not in BKK! Thats one meal a month.

Electric/water 3,000 - You must have a warm apartment!

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

All told BKK is not a cheap place to live an international quality of life.

Just double these figures and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000 - how does one only consume 9,000THB of groceries in a month! Its a lot more if your buying imported foods.

Clothes 1,300 - Haha, sorry, are those clothes for kids? The maid? who buys clothes for 1,300THB a month?? Either leave it out or make it a larger budget!

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Just double these figures and you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

I knew I was opening a can of worms when I answered the earlier question by putting up a sample budget. Budgets of course are different things to different people, of different backgrounds and circumstances, in different locations. For my part the budget above is broadly what I spend each month at present living in rented accommodation in Phuket and eating a lot of meals at home - Mrs CM is an outstanding cook. But to respond to some of your points:

grocery costs - we shop at local markets for fresh meat and vegetables on a daily basis, Mrs CM insists on it, 9k a month just about does the trick.

Eating out - a typical meal at a restaurant for the two of us is less than Baht 1,000, what can I say, I rarely feel the need to spend several thousands on a meal.

Electric - we're at the mercy of the landlord on this one and we get gouged but can do nothing about it, hardly eve use the aircon.

Once again, monthly expenditure is so many different things to everyone based on a whole range of factors.

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Just double these figures and you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

I knew I was opening a can of worms when I answered the earlier question by putting up a sample budget. Budgets of course are different things to different people, of different backgrounds and circumstances, in different locations. For my part the budget above is broadly what I spend each month at present living in rented accommodation in Phuket and eating a lot of meals at home - Mrs CM is an outstanding cook. But to respond to some of your points:

grocery costs - we shop at local markets for fresh meat and vegetables on a daily basis, Mrs CM insists on it, 9k a month just about does the trick.

Eating out - a typical meal at a restaurant for the two of us is less than Baht 1,000, what can I say, I rarely feel the need to spend several thousands on a meal.

Electric - we're at the mercy of the landlord on this one and we get gouged but can do nothing about it, hardly eve use the aircon.

Once again, monthly expenditure is so many different things to everyone based on a whole range of factors.

chiang mai - you have dam well gone native! Dam, Dam to hel_l those brits who go native, what ever is the world comming to! Next you will be telling us you are happily married! Whatever happened to EMPIRE stiff upper lip and all that! :)

Edited by pkrv

i have already thought of this and at present I spend 2hrs minimum on the internet in my office. When I am living off investments I expext to be speding as much time researching as I would in any normal job. While Daddy is in the office Daddy is working and not to be disturbed. I will use that to reinforce the work effick. Anyway by the time shes 5 I may well be working again............I always found it hard to take holidays of more than a few days.......

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Just double these figures and you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

chiang mai - you have dam well gone native! Dam, Dam to hel_l those brits who go native, what ever is the world comming to! Next you will be telling us you are happily married! Whatever happened to EMPIRE stiff upper lip and all that! :D

:)

There's really two sides to the question of investment, the first is how to make the money and the second is how to keep it, having made my money I intend to make sure I keep it but also to enjoy a good quality of life - after all, there's little point in having a good level of savings if it can't be enjoyed. In years gone by, especially living in Hong Kong, spending several thousands on a meal and spending many thousands on an evenings entertainment were all standard practice. Today, well, I suppose people's priorities change over time and personally I would much rather spend that entertainment money on a trip to Singapore, a visit to Europe or a few days traveling away somewhere different. As expected on this topic thus far we have one poster who thinks the budget is far too high and another who reckons it should be doubled, each of us has different needs.

MONTHLY EXPENSE Is

Rent & UBC 30,000

Groceries 9,000

Petrol 6,000

Clothes 1,300

Eating Out 10,000

Electric/water 3,000

Massage 600

Bar 1,000

Movies 600

Internet 845

Hair 400

Mobile 1000

Road Tax 334

Car Insurance 1,585

Car Maint 1,000

Pharmacy 3,000

misc 35,000

Presumably your estimate of 65k in Canada does not include rent/housing costs.

I do the sums on a fairly regular basis and compare costs of living in the UK and Thailand - my current view is that at an exchange rate of 55 baht per Pound, UK living costs are marginally cheaper than Thailand.

That included the mortgage I had actually. Anyone who says that a western country is cheaper to live in then Thailand is doing something wrong.

I never do the sums but on the back of a fag packet I would say that simply the cost of employing 6 full time staff to look after me and my places would in the UK cost as much as my monthly Thai expenses.

... Anyone who says that a western country is cheaper to live in then Thailand is doing something wrong.

Education: Good education is available free in the west. Here to get a something of a similar quality and that would say be recognised by an oversees university at a later date is expensive. Highly relevant to OP.

Cars - much more expensive to buy here compared to the west. Particularly "luxury" brands

Both these can easily swing the numbers.

What can be said, I've read of people on this forum who say they can live on Baht 40,000 a month and doubtless there will some who think that's a lot of money each month. I suppose that if I tried really hard I could live on around Baht 25,000 a month except for two reasons, I don't want to and I don't have to. Personally, now in my seventh year of retirement, I like to take trips to Singapore, visit Europe a couple of times a year if I want to etc etc etc. But for those that enjoy life on less than 65,000 a month in a foriegn country, power to them.

I watched the debate with a lot of interest, for me it is a question of fishing out the bits that apply to me. It is true that you can spend the same kind of cash as you do in the west, and in many cases I do, but I seem to get 10 times more for it.

A silly example The Nokia Ultra cinema screens at the Siam Paragon make the best the UK have to offer look like grubby little flea pits - same price.

IMO The OP's biggest hurdle is a home, its the biggest investment in life.

Edited by pkrv

... Anyone who says that a western country is cheaper to live in then Thailand is doing something wrong.

Education: Good education is available free in the west. Here to get a something of a similar quality and that would say be recognised by an oversees university at a later date is expensive. Highly relevant to OP.

Cars - much more expensive to buy here compared to the west. Particularly "luxury" brands

Educations are paid for by municipal taxes and private schools still cost big money.

Yes but because of the climate and infrastructure in Thailand, you don't need to own a car, if you insist on owning the latest Toyota SUV then it will cost you more in Thailand.

Educations are paid for by municipal taxes and private schools still cost big money.

Yes but because of the climate and infrastructure in Thailand, you don't need to own a car, if you insist on owning the latest Toyota SUV then it will cost you more in Thailand.

On the taxes, I pay similar rates on salary here as back in the west. The difference is over there I get something for it. Key point is you don't need to pay for good education in the west, here you do. Also people with no income in the west can have access to good education free. So net net anyone with kids here will be spending additional money on their education here. Back in the west there's no need - although as you say you can select a private school if you want.

Sure you don't need a car anywhere, but I'd like a standard of living similar to back in the west. That includes a home and a car. Virtually all cars are more expensive here. Lugging babies/young kids around on public transport in Thailand (even BTS/MRT) is not much fun either. As for taxis, buses, rail etc they're often much less safe than your own car where you have baby/child seats and convenience of use as and when you want, maintained to a safe standard

Spot-on wordchild - not sure if I want to 'retire' any time soon. As strange as it may seem, I enjoy my job very much.

Take for example someone like Warren Buffett who probably could have retired at age 25 or less. It would have driven him crazy...