Death Of Old Desktop

wilson steer

My old windows 98 desktop died this morning, the hard disc just makes a scraping and distressing noise and it won't start up.

I have backed up most stuff except some photos, I suppose they might be recovered from my hard disc by an expert, but it is just Ko Chang stuff from three years ago.

The advice needed is this: I want a new tower pc only, I already have keyboard, mouse and flat screen monitor.

Here are my specs: (tentative) put me right if you know better: Windows XP home edition. Clock speed 2.8 is that O.K. enough? I don't play games. RAM I was thinking 512, or is 256 enough?

Memory I suppose 60 will do, is that enough?

I need an internal modem, what is best to ask for?

Definite CD and write. I don't need a DVD do I?

What about cards, graphics, wireless etc. I know nothing about those.

I intend to go to the store with my specs in about a week, any advice gratefully received.

Wilson Steer.

if you don't play games, you can skimp on the processor and vga card. You might not need a DVD-writer, but a DVD-reader would be recommended (a combo drive, with cd writing). 512MB is also enough for non-gamers. For the harddisk, the price difference between isn't all that much... you pay only a little more for a lot more space. Go ahead and get a 160GB drive.

As for other things, try to get the more popular brands, like Asus mainboards. You'll get less headaches later on.

The processor is a matter of taste, but you can do well enough with a celeron if you don't have a large budget and don't care about games.

Yep, Firefoxx has it about right.

Personally id go a little higher than 512mg memory as windows can be quite memory hungry, but you can survive on 512 if your not doing anything too memory intensive.

Processor wise, go with AMD or Celeron, they are a bit cheaper and just as good unless you really want to get hardcore.

DVD reader is a must in my opinion, a combi drive would be ideal, it might seem surplus to requirements now, but with more and more software coming out in DVD format its certainly an area to give some consideration to, also you can always use your puter as a DVD player later on.

Hard drive, definately go 120gb or higher, its easier to fill that kind of disk space these days and the price difference between an 80 or 120gb drive is minimal.

As for modems and such, i've found that it doesnt really matter too much.

Oh and try to get your hands on a copy of Windows XP professional, with SP2, a tab more reliable in my experience.

wilson steer - From the info in your post, I'm not quite sure if you plan to assemble the new desktop yourself, have one built to your specifications, or purchase a pre-built brand name such as Sony, HP, Compaq, Acer, etc..

As a general rule, you'll find is it less expensive to purchase a pre-built brand name vs. building one to the same specifications yourself. The manufacturer (OEM) buys the parts in large quantities direct from the part manufacturer, while you'll be buying "one each" of an item from a retailer.

Whether you plan to build the system yourself, have someone build it for you, or buy it pre-built, would suggest you consider the following:

- For the hard drive (HDD), get an SATA version. They are considerably faster than the older ATA/EIDE models, and only slightly more expensive. (Also insure the HDD has a minimum 8MB cache or preferably 16MB cache.)

- As you hinted you do some work with photos, I assume you probably use software like Photoshop or others. If so, I would definately look for a processor like the P4 or AMD64. You don't need to buy the fastest one available, but a P4-2.8 or 3.0GB or AMD64-3000 or 3200 would make life easier. You would also have some reserve power available, should you decide in future to start playing with video editing.

- Compare the cost of a Dual Layer DVD/CD burner vs. a DVD/CD Combo (non-DVD burner). Today, I think you find the difference is quite small.

If I may offer a final suggestion, when you do go shopping, leave your check book and credit cards at home. Instead, take a pencil and paper, ask questions and write down the answers. Take them home and study them for a day or two. If your unclear as to any information you were given, go to the makers website, post your questions here, or go back to the store and ask their technical people for clarification.

good luck :D

(PS - Most pre-built desktop towers come with a keyboard, a mouse and amplified speakers as standard. Nice to have them for backup or if your old keyboard has the letters missing due to "excessive posting activity" on ThaiVisa :o .)

......You guys make me want to trade in my old lap top! 500 MHz, P3, 256 MB RAM.....

Add another 256MB RAM and you'll swear you were just handed a new one with the latest P4. (Well......almost.)

:D

or just install win2kpro for the same result. :o

Yep, Firefoxx has it about right.

Processor wise, go with AMD or Celeron, they are a bit cheaper and just as good unless you really want to get hardcore.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Celeron is 16bit and the same priced AMD will be 32bit.

That is four times faster.

Windows XP is intended for 32bit.

Go for a 32bit or your new computer will be a dinosaur before its out of the box.

Intel processors have been 32-bit only for quite a while (with 64-bit appearing the past few weeks). This was since the 386... all (including the crippled celeron) later CPUs were 32 bit. Windows Xp wouldn't run at all on a 16 bit system.

Since 512MB of DDR PC3200 ram costs only around 2,000 baht, getting 1GB wouldn't be that expensive. Depends on your budget.

The thing about name-brand computers is that the components they use are usually proprietary, from cases to power supplies to components. Upgradeability or interoperability is not their strong point. They also tend to have mininum spec or lowest-bidder parts to keep the costs down. Their strong point is usually their warranty and service.

A dual-layer burner is around twice as much as a combo drive, a difference of around 2,000 baht. A bigger harddrive is about 2,000 baht more. A better CPU is around 2,000 baht more. A better VGA is around 2,000 more, etc. etc. etc. Everything better costs more, and of course you should just aim for something that's within your budget.

" Correct me if I am wrong but the Celeron is 16bit and the same priced AMD will be 32bit.

That is four times faster.

Windows XP is intended for 32bit."

Celeron processors are 32 bit. Meaning they process 4 bytes at a time

Windows has been 32 bit since win 95 (NT4), although windows 95 did have some legacy files left over allowing it to run some of the old 16 bit applications.

The next change is 64 bit processors although windows xp Pro 64bit is still in the developement stage and is according to Microsoft "Coming Soon...) 64 bit processors are available from both Intel and AMD but are for the high end market, at the moment there isn't any software which utilises the 64 bit architecture.

Everyone: Thanks for all the advice.

I will post the results of my new machine, when it is assembled.

At the moment I have my pencil and paper and am planning carefully;

One quick modem question, I intend to go broadband at some stage will the type of modem I select matter?

Wilson Steer.

......You guys make me want to trade in my old lap top! 500 MHz, P3, 256 MB RAM.....

Add another 256MB RAM and you'll swear you were just handed a new one with the latest P4. (Well......almost.)

:D

Ooh yes, I would love to. But my Dell lap top has just two slots, currently with 128 MB in each. The price of a 256 MB stick is astronomical - about 8,000 baht each. So I'd rather wait and get a new PC than spend 16,000 baht just on RAM.

I searched high and low for the 256 MB sticks in Pantip 'till I'd had enough. Only one shop had an old one, but couldn't guarantee it and as I didn't have the lap top with me (stupid boy!) I couldn't try it. He only wanted 4,000 baht for it :o