Marlon Get Ready To Bend Over

bkkjames

Good...

King jailed for 18 months

Latics striker found guilty of assault after unanimous verdict

Wigan striker Wigan striker Marlon King has been jailed for 18 months after being found guilty of a nightclub attack on a young woman.

King, who was celebrating both his wife's pregnancy and scoring a winning goal hours earlier, was repeatedly "cold-shouldered" by women revellers in London's packed Soho Revue Bar last December.

When a slightly-built university student became the latest to recoil from his touch, he lost his temper and in an outburst of "completely gratuitous violence" lashed out, "smashing" her to the floor.

His single clenched fist blow was so powerful that two other revellers - one of them holding on to his arm - were also sent flying.

While bouncers moved in to restrain the muscular £5million striker, friends rushed to the aid of his victim.

As she was helped to her feet, blood poured from her shattered nose, London's Southwark Crown Court heard.

The 29-year-old claimed he was a victim of "mistaken identity".

But after hearing overwhelming evidence from a string of witnesses, including a football coach who insisted he was the assailant, the jury decided he was lying.

He was unanimously convicted of sexually assaulting the 20-year-old and causing actual bodily harm.

He should never play again': Wigan chief, Dave Whelan lashes out at jailed Marlon King

By Simon Jones Last updated at 12:53 AM on 30th October 2009

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan hopes Marlon King is finished in football after confirming the club will sack the disgraced striker who was yesterday jailed for 18 months.

King, 29, was found guilty of sexual assault and actual bodily harm over an incident in a London nightclub, which occurred last December while he was on loan at Hull.

His actions represented gross misconduct and allow Wigan, under Premier League rules, to tear up King's contract. Wigan had yet to formally notify King's representatives of their intentions but Whelan made it clear on national TV.

Marlon King

He said: 'It is upsetting to hear that Marlon has got 18 months but I'm sure he deserves it. I can't see him coming back.

We have to follow the rules and regulations and we have given him 14 days' notice that his contract will be cancelled.

He is absolutely sacked. We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour and, as far as we are concerned, he is finished in football with Wigan Athletic.

'It will be very, very difficult for any club to stick their neck out and take Marlon on, I cannot really see him coming back as a professional. A lot of people will say you do something wrong and you get a sentence, and when you've completed it, you should be allowed to go back in. I wouldn't allow him back in.'

King was signed by Steve Bruce for £3million from Watford in January 2008 and Whelan said he has regretted the deal from day one.

Dave Whelan

'I do personally regret the day. I always thought his heart and soul wasn't in being a professional footballer. I sat him down at the start of the season and told him this was his last chance, and it is very disappointing. Right from the start they are told they are representing Wigan on and off the field, and especially off the field. Young people look up to professional footballers and we have to set the standards.'

King, believed to earn around £25,000 a week, was celebrating his wife's pregnancy and scoring a winning goal hours earlier when he was repeatedly 'cold-shouldered' by women revellers in London's Soho Revue Bar.

Southwark Crown Court heard that when a slightly-built 20-year-old university student became the latest to recoil from him, he lost his temper and in an outburst of 'completely gratuitous violence' lashed out, 'smashing' her to the floor.

Soho Revue Bar

As she was helped to her feet, blood poured from her shattered nose. King, from Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, claimed he was a victim of 'mistaken identity'.

ut after hearing evidence from witnesses, including a football coach who insisted King was the assailant, the jury decided he was lying.

King, whose agent said last night he would appeal, spent five months in jail in 2002 after being caught at the wheel of a stolen BMW, and has found himself in the dock on seven previous occasions for dishonesty, motoring offences and violence against women.

Bobby Barnes, deputy chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, said: 'King's had a great opportunity to make a career given his talent but he has not taken advantage of that … he's blown it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz0VP3yo8HA

This guy has had so many chances, and just continues to act like a total tosser. Good on Wigan for taking a tough stance with him, opefully when he does come out of prison no other club will give him a further opportunity. Football IMO is better off without these types of people.

No doubt he'll find work somewhere when he's out. What a shocking story, though.

Yeah, he may well do - but considering his past histoy clubs may well be very reluctant to take him on. The most amazing thing though is how this guy has been able to maintain a place in The Premiership -he is clearly not a Premier league player, although a not bad operator in the Championship.

Reported he has 13 previous convictions, including assault on police and wounding. So 18 months seem lenient to me, even though he's appealing against the conviction.

ps

can something be done about the silly titled other thread on the same subject ?

Reported he has 13 previous convictions, including assault on police and wounding. So 18 months seem lenient to me, even though he's appealing against the conviction.

ps

can something be done about the silly titled other thread on the same subject ?

Why don't you report it.

No doubt he'll find work somewhere when he's out. What a shocking story, though.

Yeah, he may well do - but considering his past histoy clubs may well be very reluctant to take him on. The most amazing thing though is how this guy has been able to maintain a place in The Premiership -he is clearly not a Premier league player, although a not bad operator in the Championship.

Going to jail for fighting with a bloke or traffic offences etc, he may get another shot but for this type of thing I can't even see Rochdale giving him a job as a turnstyle ticket collector.

The most amazing thing though is how this guy has been able to maintain a place in The Premiership -he is clearly not a Premier league player, although a not bad operator in the Championship.

I don't find that amazing at all.Wigan have survived against many odds signing players who it would appear either to be written off, or so called below Premiership standard. Stoke City are doing the same at present. I find that refreshing at least. That it's no longer the case that the three teams promoted will automatically be relegated, as in the past. Even although they are unlikely to be able to buy the best players as the richest few are able to do.

Still that's not the issue. Marlon King has done bad. When he's done his bird he should be given every chance to pick his career up again. It's not like he's the first, nor will be the last football player to act either in a thuggish or irresponsible way. By and large they're, by definition, not the sharpest tools in the box and sometimes carry an awful lot of baggage with them.

The most amazing thing though is how this guy has been able to maintain a place in The Premiership -he is clearly not a Premier league player, although a not bad operator in the Championship.

I don't find that amazing at all.Wigan have survived against many odds signing players who it would appear either to be written off, or so called below Premiership standard. Stoke City are doing the same at present. I find that refreshing at least. That it's no longer the case that the three teams promoted will automatically be relegated, as in the past. Even although they are unlikely to be able to buy the best players as the richest few are able to do.

Marlon Kings ability as a football player has nothing to do with Wigan's success in maintaining a place in the premier league. He has done very little for them since he has gone there, and even David Wheelan has said he wished he had never signed him. Wigan have got some excellent players, and certainly would not suggest that they have signed players that are not up to the standard.They have also been helped by having some astute managers. Stoke City's success, is also built on a strong work ethic and they are difficult to play against -yes they have players that may not be seen as "premier" but the system thay have works well, so far. King has played for several clubs in the premier league, without being particularly successful, and the point is that it is surprising that he has had several clubs in the Premier League, and had I think Boro chasing him last year. He is a striker, who basically hasn't scored many goals in that league.

Marlon Kings ability as a football player has nothing to do with Wigan's success in maintaining a place in the premier league. He has done very little for them since he has gone there, and even David Wheelan has said he wished he had never signed him. Wigan have got some excellent players, and certainly would not suggest that they have signed players that are not up to the standard.They have also been helped by having some astute managers. Stoke City's success, is also built on a strong work ethic and they are difficult to play against -yes they have players that may not be seen as "premier" but the system thay have works well, so far. King has played for several clubs in the premier league, without being particularly successful, and the point is that it is surprising that he has had several clubs in the Premier League, and had I think Boro chasing him last year. He is a striker, who basically hasn't scored many goals in that league.

agree entirely toady. wigan seem to have the best scouting network in the division and keep on turning out really good players. palacios, valencia, figueroa, rodallega to name just a few. deave whelan's a cock though.

Much of that may be true. But it's also true that smaller clubs have some mediocre "sub Premiership standard" players too. That's the secret isn't it ? That for most teams ,even for the richest ones, that it's a player's ability to play as part of a team and not always their individual skills that's important. Although obviously more the case with those that really need to fight in order to survive. I'm no football manager. But if King was as useless as you brand him, then why only when he got himself into this fix was he seen as being unwanted at the club ?

Much of that may be true. But it's also true that smaller clubs have some mediocre "sub Premiership standard" players too. That's the secret isn't it ? That for most teams ,even for the richest ones, that it's a player's ability to play as part of a team and not always their individual skills that's important. Although obviously more the case with those that really need to fight in order to survive. I'm no football manager. But if King was as useless as you brand him, then why only when he got himself into this fix was he seen as being unwanted at the club ?

You have a way with words. Can show me where i branded King useless? I didn't say that at all, think you need to read a little more closely. As for the club not wanting him, they tried to shunt him out last season and he was out on loan for sometime, so in fact yes I would imagine that he was unwanted by the club, but then I'm no expert. :)

Although I wholly agree with Whelan, I wonder if the same decision to sack him and apparent lack of future interest from other clubs, would have happened, if he was a world class player, instead of someone they wanted to clear out anyway?

Although I wholly agree with Whelan, I wonder if the same decision to sack him and apparent lack of future interest from other clubs, would have happened, if he was a world class player, instead of someone they wanted to clear out anyway?

It's a difficult one to call. Chelsea sacked Mutu and Bosnich for their indiscretions. Clearly King had become a proverbial pain in the ass, and they were probably looking to get shot of him. I am sure that if he had not had this case, he would probably have been offloaded in the summer to a Championship club, but no one would have taken a chance with this hanging over him. In the end the guy clearly has a lot of past form in relation to ant-social behaviour.

Clearly King had become a proverbial pain in the ass, and they were probably looking to get shot of him. I am sure that if he had not had this case, he would probably have been offloaded in the summer to a Championship club

But that is unsubstantiated conjecture. If he was such a liability he surely wouldn't have even been on the Wigan bench.

Clearly King had become a proverbial pain in the ass, and they were probably looking to get shot of him. I am sure that if he had not had this case, he would probably have been offloaded in the summer to a Championship club

But that is unsubstantiated conjecture. If he was such a liability he surely wouldn't have even been on the Wigan bench.

Read into it what you want. Think you will find that they had tried to shift him in the summer, along with trying to shift him last year -one of those deals feel through becasue King could not agree personal terms with Hull. As it was he went there on loan, and was subsequently booted out due to attitude problems. He then popped back up at Boro on loan -so if you are trying to tell me that Wigan didn't want to get shot of him, you are just trying to argue for arguments sake.

Plenty of documented evidence that suggests that he wasn't wanted at the club. Just because he may have been on the bench on occasion (3 times) hardly means that he was valued.

Look what happened to Stan colloquial . I can't see him getting much of a chance after he serves his time, at least not in the UK and the Premiership.

An interesting case was Stan Collymore. He claimed depression was the cause of his anger but actually got little -- if any -- support from FA related bodies. Whereas, Gascoigne has had nothing but, and has been given chance after chance. Which is fair enough. But at least Collymore is having another go with football commentary/punditry.

Idiot and thug as he's been, I hope that King finds something after his doing time. I've heard suggested that he'll definitely get another playing job afterwards. We'll see.

I recall when King was playing for Gillingham and he had the drunken driving police assult incident. Gillingham paid his wages whilst he was in prision and once he was released he signed for another club. Seems like he likes doing a bit of bird (pun not really intended). I agree he is a good championship player. Not prem quality and not a plyayer you want to sign. High maintenance. Not loyal.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Really sorry for the girl, terrible thing to happen and, if true he deserves all he gets. but a Shame cos the boy had it all. I use to use the same gym as several gillingham players including king, seemed a quite sort of bloke as they all did. Probably a typical west indian , really hot tempered, youre finished if you diss them or back down. stand youre ground face them out in the most pleasnt way possible. I know from first hand experience its the only way with them anything else is well , you can read.

Look what happened to Stan colloquial . I can't see him getting much of a chance after he serves his time, at least not in the UK and the Premiership.

An interesting case was Stan Collymore. He claimed depression was the cause of his anger but actually got little -- if any -- support from FA related bodies. Whereas, Gascoigne has had nothing but, and has been given chance after chance. Which is fair enough. But at least Collymore is having another go with football commentary/punditry.

Idiot and thug as he's been, I hope that King finds something after his doing time. I've heard suggested that he'll definitely get another playing job afterwards. We'll see.

He will probably end up at some club or other, but unlikely it will be a Premiership club. Lee Hughes who did time for killing peole in a car accident after being drunk has returned to football, but several rungs down the ladder. Probably the same will happen with King, if a club is prepared to take the chance. Seems like trouble follows him pretty much everywhere he goes though.

Good point, i wonder what would have happen if i had been Rooney, or Torres....or Gerrard...wait a minute...?

It is not 18 months he will serve. Good conduct inside, keeping below the warders and Governors radar he will be up for parole after doing 1/3 of his sentence.

He will be avilable on or just before 1st May. Remaining sentense will hang over him as a suspended. Keep his nose clean (unlike his victim) he will be whistling May 2011.

It is not 18 months he will serve. Good conduct inside, keeping below the warders and Governors radar he will be up for parole after doing 1/3 of his sentence.

He will be avilable on or just before 1st May. Remaining sentense will hang over him as a suspended. Keep his nose clean (unlike his victim) he will be whistling May 2011.

Far too lenient nowadays and that's a fact.

Sacked from Wigan, what sort of punishment is that ! Should have been sentenced to playing for them for the next 5 years without remission. :)

Good point, i wonder what would have happen if i had been Rooney, or Torres....or Gerrard...wait a minute...?

However, the ensuing question is inevitable: if the player, who cost Wigan £5m when he moved from Watford in January last year, had retained any kind of significant value would his contract have been so promptly torn up?

A good article from James Lawton today in the Independent.