Logging Trees And Cutting Into Lumber

Macx

Hi All,

I have a couple of large trees on the farm that I'd like to have cut down and then cut into planks, beams, and posts to build a small Thai style guesthouse/cabin. There is a timber crew nearby that can do this with a chainsaw and a sort of mobile circular saw.

Before contacting them, I would like to know the general prices the "lumberjacks" charge for the above mention work. Do they go by the meter?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Hi All,

I have a couple of large trees on the farm that I'd like to have cut down and then cut into planks, beams, and posts to build a small Thai style guesthouse/cabin. There is a timber crew nearby that can do this with a chainsaw and a sort of mobile circular saw.

Before contacting them, I would like to know the general prices the "lumberjacks" charge for the above mention work. Do they go by the meter?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

They will should charge you buy the day for labor and equipment. I would think about 250bt per man with equipment per day

Be very careful about cutting down any tree in Thailand, especially big ones. There may be a reason that they ARE big. Check with the bandits that run your local government and see if you need a permit. The logging crew don't give a crap, they'll be long gone by the time the law shows up.

Also, make sure to see the chainsaw license from the "logger" and get a copy of it. He will have to certify that he cut the tree down so you can get your paperwork.

My girlfriend bought a tree that had been cut 3 years ago but had no paperwork and her brother had to spend the weekend in the monkey house even though the police knew the family well and believed their story.

If it was me, I'd enjoy the shade

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Macx.

Never heard of a day rate charge, for our Village prices go buy the meter for finished cut wood whatever you order.

So if their your trees…..they will cut and carry, mill and dry stack for you. Example (2" x 4" x 4mtrs) @ today’s price of 25baht per meter.

Square Posts, same....

No chainsaw or electric-chainsaw is used in this pricing.

Only Makita 5402 saw 16”.

Regards

C-sip

Thanks, C-sip. That sounds like what I'm hearing here as well. Much appreciated for the info.

Finner and Gotlost, thanks for your replies. The trees are ours and from what I'm told, it's OK to cut.

Thanks all for your replies.

We had about 10 trees cut down,to help build our house; using the big electric chain saw,carnt remember price,but not too xxxy, we were on a tight budget,, and we have plenty of trees ,i hated cutting them,,,,,i did notice because of the width of the chainsaw there was a lot of waste,they take what ever is left to the chipper[bonas],what was not used to make rafters,i had anything big enough cut to make wooden table,chairs,and keep the GOOD round branches for legs.

If you can somehow get a blade to cut your peices after cutting down you will get more from them,

or like me yopu will find you had too cut more trees then u were told.

cat

I bought some flooring planks 1"x6" (roughly) last year for 35B/metre so if the wood is yours it should work out less than that.

They were delivered at 2am by a lorry with the lights off then hidden for 6 months to dry out. When I agreed to buy them I had no idea it would be a clandestine operation so like finner says I would be careful!

Thanks, catwho and somo.

Yeah, you're right there were piles and piles of sawdust from the cutting. Lots of waste. They did have a circular blade and there were some savings in that. In the felling, it took down another smaller tree but that one was pretty rotted and had an abscessed core.

The delivery was also done after dark (7pm). However, in our case, it was the only time the local bus was available to be rented.

They were delivered at 2am by a lorry with the lights off then hidden for 6 months to dry out. When I agreed to buy them I had no idea it would be a clandestine operation so like finner says I would be careful!

Had to laugh at that one Somo. When illegal trees are cut down around my area, they hide them in the local water reservoir. This year the government decided to deepen the reservoir and everyone is running around at night getting their trees and hiding them somewhere else.

Macx, I talked to the local wood mill guy, huge shop, has some teak tables 4M x 1.5M that he's selling for 1M Baht each. He tells me that if your farmland has a Chanoot, you can cut the trees, but not on a Sor Por Kor. That was news to me too.

Macx, I talked to the local wood mill guy, huge shop, has some teak tables 4M x 1.5M that he's selling for 1M Baht each. He tells me that if your farmland has a Chanoot, you can cut the trees, but not on a Sor Por Kor. That was news to me too.

That's nearly true.

But if you like to cut Teak, redwood, ..... you still need a licens to cut them. If the trees are not to old (?), they will come and give you for every tree a number.

Macx: The delivery was also done after dark (7pm). However, in our case, it was the only time the local bus was available to be rented. :D TIT :)