One Day Overstay?

I think you might have to pay still but i'd doubt they will stamp you as overstay.

I have a mate here in Pattaya thats on 7 months, bloody idiot.

I had 2 overstays last year, one was 2 days, the other 5. Neither time did they stamp my passport with anything other than the regular exit/departure stamp.

They did take a photocopy of my passport each time, to go with their copy of the receipt when I paid.

According to ThaiVisa "If you overstay by one day, there is no charge."

At Thai immigration they stamp and scan passports, surely overstayers will 'flag-up' after 30 days or two months or three months, or aren't they (immigration)bothered?

I know of three or four falangs who are overstay right now, over 1 year, good luck to them, but surely it's just laziness not to do the Poi-Pet visa run.

I know there is a maximum overstay fine of 20,000 baht (is that still right?) but I would not overstay for fear of blackening my name on the computers.

I suppose if you have come here to 'stay' either criminal or terminally ill, which so many people seem to be these days, the 'gamble' is worth it.

Overstay is still a mystery to me. It is certainly 99% laziness/apathy.

One days overstay will not get a fine, however if you are going through the airport then the overstay is based on flight departure time not when you actually go through immigration, so if your flight leaves after midnight then add an additional day on.

Likewise I have applied for an extension with a days overstay at immigration in Bangkok, no problems. I didn't even realise I was overstay until I got the passport back and checked the stamps.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody match this:

On a trip to Thailand my Thai wife used her British passport as we were only staying two weeks. Something came up and we stayed another two,carrying us both into one day overstay. The immigration had a good laugh when she presented her passport at departure,and was let off with a warning. How many other Thai nationals have we had on overstay in their own country?

Saw a television programme on the British Embassy's work in Bangkok when on hols. in UK last year. Lots of visits to guys in detention for visa violations.One chap been in for 6 months as he had no money to pay the fine and for the plane ticket.

They tried to make it clear that the fine was only if you reach the airport, if you are requested by the police to show your passport at any time you can end up in the slammer. :o

Overstay is still a mystery to me. It is certainly 99% laziness/apathy.

There could be other reasons, not just laziness. There was a guy living some 70 km from Surin. Every 3 months, his wife would give him sufficient money to travel to Vientienne to renew his visa. Unfortunately, he first overnighted in Surin and there managed to spend a third of the cash on booze etc. As he then didn't have sufficient cash left to make the trip, he stayed in Surin and got sh1tfaced for the next 3 days and then returned home. He eventually ended up with 2 years overstay.

:o