The Clash - Thai Band

manum

Heyas!

Anyone know when The Clash will have their next gig in Bangkok? I tried to use google a lot but couldn't even find their homepage! Any information about their gigs is appreciated, even though not in Bangkok.

What an insult to the REAL Clash

Joe Strummer R.I.P.

I agree.

The Clash played in bangkok in 1977.

The cover for the album 'combat rock' was taken at Makkhassan .

They should ahve checked for other bands with the same name.

BTW, I think they are crap

Hi All:

Clash just played at the 400 Club last week(at least the signs were still up when Big Ass played). Their lead singer's voice is incredible...that guy can sing.

Big Ass and Silly Fools are also good Thai bands, imho. You won't go wrong by seeing any of them. Unless one of the wise and learned cultured people on here says they suck...then do not go.

Interesting rules people have about bands with similar names from countries thousands of miles away that sang in a different language 30 years before, ehh? I wonder how many decades is tasteful to wait before selecting a name? I wonder how many people that listen to Clash have ever heard of (or give a crap about)The Clash?

I propose these steps for foreign bands seeking to choose a name...

- get a membership to message boards in EVERY foreign language

- make sure the board has many members...the older the better because older people know much more, and will know about music from before you were actually born

- make a gentle post asking if it is ok to name your band at all. Because you might suck, and not even be worthy of your name

- if the group denies your naming request, go home and get a job selling somtam because, clearly, u suck

- if the learned experienced members OK the process of naming your band, then you are ready to proceed. return at the next full moon when you have the blessings of 9 monks

- research the last 25 years of music history of every culture. wait...there are some smart people who can recall further back than that. research 50 years thoroughly, and skim the history books back at least 100 years

- avoid anything with 'elvis' in the name

- on your hands & knees groveling, come forth with offerings of incense & beer chang

- with the name you propose on a folded piece of rice paper, light the paper with the incense and slide it gently across the floor with your nose towards the oldest member of each message board (hurry, it is burning)

- the oldest member will not pick up the paper (it is burning), rather they will just know what your proposed name was (they are smarter and wiser than you, and know what is good and what sucks)

- if the learned ones scowl, go get a job doing something else because despite your best efforts, your name was not in agreement with their view of what is good

- if they do not scowl, it is a sign that the elders are pleased with your name. proceed to the last step

- if this process succeeds at message boards in India, China, Russia, Japan, etc., then you may name your band

You should do of these things because the last thing u want to do is insult the cultural sensibilities of people that do not sign your paychecks, go to your concerts or buy your albums :o

Thanks for the link to the grammy concert page. I also use http://www.thaipoppers.com/live/

Good luck!

Bryan

Hi All:

Clash just played at the 400 Club last week(at least the signs were still up when Big Ass played).  Their lead singer's voice is incredible...that guy can sing. 

Big Ass and Silly Fools are also good Thai bands, imho. You won't go wrong by seeing any of them.  Unless one of the wise and learned cultured people on here says they suck...then do not go.

Interesting rules people have about bands with similar names from countries thousands of miles away that sang in a different language 30 years before, ehh?  I wonder how many decades is tasteful to wait before selecting a name?  I wonder how many people that listen to Clash have ever heard of  (or give a crap about)The Clash?

-  get a membership to message boards in EVERY foreign language

-  make sure the board has many members...the older the better because older people know much more, and will know about music from before you were actually born

-  make a gentle post asking if it is ok to name your band at all.  Because you might suck, and not even be worthy of your name

-  if the group denies your naming request, go home and get a job selling somtam because, clearly, u suck

-  if the learned experienced members OK the process of naming your band, then you are ready to proceed.  return at the next full moon when you have the blessings of 9 monks

-  research the last 25 years of music history of every culture.  wait...there are some smart people who can recall further back than that.  research 50 years thoroughly, and skim the history books back at least 100 years

-  avoid anything with 'elvis' in the name

-  on your hands & knees groveling, come forth with offerings of incense & beer chang

-  with the name you propose on a folded piece of rice paper, light the paper with the incense and slide it gently across the floor with your nose towards the oldest member of each message board (hurry, it is burning)

-  the oldest member will not pick up the paper (it is burning), rather they will just know what your proposed name was (they are smarter and wiser than you, and know what is good and what sucks)

-  if the learned ones scowl, go get a job doing something else because despite your best efforts, your name was not in agreement with their view of what is good

-  if they do not scowl, it is a sign that the elders are pleased with your name.  proceed to the last step

-  if this process succeeds at  message boards in  India, China, Russia, Japan, etc., then you may name your band

You should do of these things because the last thing u want to do is insult the cultural sensibilities of people that do not sign your paychecks, go to your concerts or buy your albums :o

Thanks for the link to the grammy concert page.  I also use http://www.thaipoppers.com/live/

Good luck!

Bryan

lol, get a life dude

Hi All:

Clash just played at the 400 Club last week(at least the signs were still up when Big Ass played). Their lead singer's voice is incredible...that guy can sing.

Big Ass and Silly Fools are also good Thai bands, imho. You won't go wrong by seeing any of them. Unless one of the wise and learned cultured people on here says they suck...then do not go.

Interesting rules people have about bands with similar names from countries thousands of miles away that sang in a different language 30 years before, ehh? I wonder how many decades is tasteful to wait before selecting a name? I wonder how many people that listen to Clash have ever heard of (or give a crap about)The Clash?

- get a membership to message boards in EVERY foreign language

- make sure the board has many members...the older the better because older people know much more, and will know about music from before you were actually born

- make a gentle post asking if it is ok to name your band at all. Because you might suck, and not even be worthy of your name

- if the group denies your naming request, go home and get a job selling somtam because, clearly, u suck

- if the learned experienced members OK the process of naming your band, then you are ready to proceed. return at the next full moon when you have the blessings of 9 monks

- research the last 25 years of music history of every culture. wait...there are some smart people who can recall further back than that. research 50 years thoroughly, and skim the history books back at least 100 years

- avoid anything with 'elvis' in the name

- on your hands & knees groveling, come forth with offerings of incense & beer chang

- with the name you propose on a folded piece of rice paper, light the paper with the incense and slide it gently across the floor with your nose towards the oldest member of each message board (hurry, it is burning)

- the oldest member will not pick up the paper (it is burning), rather they will just know what your proposed name was (they are smarter and wiser than you, and know what is good and what sucks)

- if the learned ones scowl, go get a job doing something else because despite your best efforts, your name was not in agreement with their view of what is good

- if they do not scowl, it is a sign that the elders are pleased with your name. proceed to the last step

- if this process succeeds at message boards in India, China, Russia, Japan, etc., then you may name your band

You should do of these things because the last thing u want to do is insult the cultural sensibilities of people that do not sign your paychecks, go to your concerts or buy your albums

Thanks for the link to the grammy concert page. I also use http://www.thaipoppers.com/live/

Good luck!

Bryan

Interesting post, ha ha.

So, it would be alright for a band to come up with "Beatles", a similar name to a British band called The Beatles 40+ years ago?

I still think they are useless. I like a lot of Thai music, but they are so untalented and unoriginal. Lets have a poll!

Hi All:

Clash just played at the 400 Club last week(at least the signs were still up when Big Ass played).  Their lead singer's voice is incredible...that guy can sing. 

Big Ass and Silly Fools are also good Thai bands, imho. You won't go wrong by seeing any of them.

Hi Bryan, I was at that Big Ass concert at 400 Club in Aor Tor Kor too. Good night, but got so crowded didn't it! They need to make that place a bit wider :o I didn't see the Clash concert there listed at the grammy site or thaipoppers.com though, I guess they don't list all of them. Do you know any other ways of keeping up to date of when they're going to be ?

They should ahve checked for other bands with the same name.

Even though I quite like Clash, I agree with you about this. Their choice of name struck me as being pretty strange too considering how successful The Clash were. I guess the fanbase for the two is so divergent in general that they can get away with it. I don't think "Big Ass" is a great name for a band either really!

Edited by mike_l