Looking For Tips On Keeping My House Cool

Im looking for tips on how to keep some rooms of my apartment efficiently cool during the day and night. Do most people turn their air con off when leaving the room or just turn up the thermostat? My wife is telling me its better to turn it off entirely than to keep it running but Im not sure if this makes sense. She has been turning it off and opening the door after she leaves the room but I dont like this idea too much because it lets alot of mosquitoes in the room.

I just started renting a place that has 3 levels, with my bedroom being on the 2nd floor. We have 2 air cons on the 2nd floor one in my bedroom one in my office and I work in my office most of the day. I find it comfortable to sleep and work in temps near 27 or 28 but Im afraid to leave both units on 28 or 29 all day and night for fear of getting a 7000 baht electric bill because from what I understand, the more electricity you use, the higher the cost per unit of electricity.

Keep the air on all day at 22 and at night 25. Your bill might be like mind 18,000 month but my wife is a Doctor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and we have no money problems.

Remember you and the wife only live once. Money is to spend

Edited by M555

I'm sure most of the thaivisa members here have girlfriends or wives who are daughters of utility company managers or department of energy ministers who can cut special deals for them. Barring that the wealthy folk here don't need to worry about energy savings.

I know GD has his place like a fridge :)

A lot depends upon whether you can get through ventilation and how cold you actually need it, we rarely use the aircon, relying upon ventilation and fans.

I'm going to move this to Housing, have a look in there and DIY there are a few threads on cooling and energy consumption.

Heavy curtains from HomePro keep my rooms a lot cooler during the day.

Heavy curtains and too much fabric in the home will retain heat of the afternoons. I have a west facing condo unit and all my thin curtains covering the west facing glass sliding doors are lined with reflective blackouts.

Edited by trogers

Keep the air on all day at 22 and at night 25. Your bill might be like mind 18,000 month but my wife is a Doctor at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and we have no money problems.

Are you from Russia or thereabout?

Are you calling me KGB?

Yes I lived in Serbia

Are you calling me KGB?

Yes I lived in Serbia

I guess right then. Have a friend who is renting his townhouse in Prakhanong to Ukrainians. They leave all the air-con units on 24/7 and set to 22C. Within a year, my friend had to replace all the compressors... :)

I'm sure most of the thaivisa members here have girlfriends or wives who are daughters of utility company managers or department of energy ministers who can cut special deals for them. Barring that the wealthy folk here don't need to worry about energy savings.

Yep. EAT THE RICH!! :)

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of ceiling fans, maybe we will give one a try. And we do have a few windows pointed into the afternoon sun, maybe we will try the reflective curtains.

22c is a little too cold for me in a subtropical place like Thailand :) If I wanted 22c or colder I would just stay in the USA. Cooling there is free of charge thanks to mother nature.

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of ceiling fans, maybe we will give one a try. And we do have a few windows pointed into the afternoon sun, maybe we will try the reflective curtains.

22c is a little too cold for me in a subtropical place like Thailand :) If I wanted 22c or colder I would just stay in the USA. Cooling there is free of charge thanks to mother nature.

I bought a ceiling fan for my diningroom, but didnt check the ceiling first to see if i would be able to fit it. As there is nothing able to take the load in the ceiling, it is still sitting in the box unused. PM me if you want more details as it is for sale.

in our shophouse I run AC in the bedroom upstairs at night and fans on the ground floor during the day and it works well - tolerable...will never have natural cooling like in the west but what the heyo; don't gotta spend on fuel for heating in the winter...

gonna replace the upstairs AC with an inverter (variable speed compressor) unit; higher initial cost but will pay fer itself in less than a year with lower electricity bills.