Sales Of 14m Special Lottery Tickets Postponed

webfact

ONLINE LOTTERY

Some income to be spent on 'healing the ills in society

By The Nation

Published on November 18, 2009

Sales of 14m special lottery tickets postponed until next year

Half the money put aside for the administration of the online two- and three-digit lottery would be spent in healing social ailments, the Government Lottery Office (GLO) board resolved yesterday.

GLO was to draft details of the budget for the board's consideration before they could determine what to spend the proceeds on.

A GLO board member Nakarin Mektrairat said 60 per cent of the earnings from lottery sales became the prize money, 28 per cent went toward the central government's budget, while the remainder was spent on lottery administration, he said.

Half the lottery administration budget will be spend on the public through activities such as assistance to the disabled and underprivileged people, Nakarin said. Depending on the sale of lotteries in each round, money earmarked for "healing the society" is expected to be between Bt150 million and Bt700 million per year, he added.

Nakarin said the GLO should have 1.4 to 1.5 per cent in net profits after administration expenses are covered.

The board has also given GLO the job of drafting details including legal matters supporting such spending for the board's consideration in the next meeting, he said.

Initially, lottery revenue was to be spent on social-service activities within the GLO's authority, he added.

GLO director Wanchai Surakul said the office would spend 45 days in improving the software for the 6,000 online lottery vending machines nationwide, however he declined to say if the new online lottery would be available before yearend.

The office also told the GLO board that the sales of 14 million special lottery tickets, initially set to be sold on December 16, would be postponed by a month, because the GLO must prepare the prize-distribution system and arrange the ticket quota for retailers.

He said the GLO would print an additional 6 to 8 million tickets for the January 16 round.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"...A GLO board member Nakarin Mektrairat said 60 per cent of the earnings from lottery sales became the prize money, 28 per cent went toward the central government's budget, while the remainder was spent on lottery administration, he said.

Half the lottery administration budget will be spend on the public through activities such as assistance to the disabled and underprivileged people, Nakarin said. Depending on the sale of lotteries in each round, money earmarked for "healing the society" is expected to be between Bt150 million and Bt700 million per year, he added."

So lottery Admin = 12% of which 6% will be spent on 'social ailments' [6% = 150 - 700 million]

So working backwards

If 6% = 150 million Admin

60% [150 million x 10] - 1.5 Billion baht in prize money

28% [150 million x 4 (plus a bit) = 600 million

6% 150 million for social ailments

Grand total = roughly 2.5 billion baht

Jeez that's a lot of lottery tickets to sell

( I can't believe how bored i was to work that out....)

I am glad a forum about the lottery has surfaced, this is about the lottery, but not about the OP. My question is. If it is a National Lottery and the tickets are 40 Baht each, why is it that I can not buy one ticket for less than 110 Baht. It seems to me that the government should regulate the price and the sales. In Tesco-Lotus I was asked for 600 Baht for group of 5 tickets, that should have been 400 Baht, instead it was 600 Baht...a 66.66% mark up over the printed price.

I am glad a forum about the lottery has surfaced, this is about the lottery, but not about the OP. My question is. If it is a National Lottery and the tickets are 40 Baht each, why is it that I can not buy one ticket for less than 110 Baht. It seems to me that the government should regulate the price and the sales. In Tesco-Lotus I was asked for 600 Baht for group of 5 tickets, that should have been 400 Baht, instead it was 600 Baht...a 66.66% mark up over the printed price.

Slightly different lottery but let me see if I can add something to your question.

Those tickets you see being sold by the ladies all over the place are 40 Baht for one, (but you would win only 1million if you purchased one) but generally they are always sold as a pair. = 80 Baht. A few months ago they marked them up to 120 Baht (asking price on the street) but people complained as the prize winnings didn't change...(previously they were marked up to 90-100 baht by the seller) The GLO stepped in and said they must reduce their prices or something to that effect. The lottery sellers mark em up to around 100 Baht for the pair nowadays.