Need A Maid / Personal Assistant / Babysitter

rockhardbkk

We had a live-in maid / babysitter whom we paid 6000 baht a month. She was great for about 6 months and then one day she just up and left. She left all her worldly possessions (1 small bag) and that was the end of her. I don't understand why as she seemed to like my Thai wife and I as well as our kids but understanding doesn't do much good. I think it might have been a boyfriend thing. We were very good to her though and for whatever reason she decided to move on. I now have come to the conclusion that we definitely need someone else to help us and take her place. I'd like them to be a little more personal assistant while at the same time a maid and babysitter. Basically someone who will do whatever is asked of her and who is intelligent and gets along with our kids. I understand this will mean a higher salary but for 10 g's a month to start I do believe we should be able to find someone.

I'm having a hard time finding anyone at all though much less someone who fits this description. Anyone have any ideas of where I may be able to find someone like this? Are there any agencies who might be able to help us without charging an arm and a leg? Thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to find out the info too....as someone in a wheelchair having someone reliable is vital. I dont fancy waking up one day to find shes buggered off and Im stuck phoning around for help!! I was thinking the same, slightly higher wages 10K+ then perhaps more if things go well to make sure to hold onto someone good. What about age of person? I would imagine someone in their 30s to be more reliable than someone in their 20s.

Tell your Thai friends and ask for referrals from them. That is how many staff are hired here, and it offers at least a bit more security than hiring a total stranger, since your friends face could be on the line, too, in case of any problems. I've had very good luck this way...

I think lampard10's suggestion is good, too. I've never used these services (through the government Labour offices), but that seems like another possible layer of protection for the employer, maybe... At least you know these folks are legal, and registered....

There are agencies in Thailand that deal with that. Thailand is part of the same world you know.

Oh really? Thanks for the so-called help but I wouldn't know that after living here for almost 10 years. There's no need to be rude and this comment doesn't tell me a ###### thing. I know there's agencies available but I'm asking for specific names of these agencies!

Leaving it to my wife isn't the answer either. She has tried through a Thai agency without success. The first girl she hired was the one I spoke of earlier and she was a maid / babysitter, not a PA. The next person who was sent to us was very sickly looking and she lasted a day before telling us she didn't have the strength to work all day. At least she was honest. We can get someone right off the farm if we just want a maid but we don't.

We are as I said, looking for more of a P.A., a complete package sort of person. We generally speak English in the house so our kids will pick it up but as long as they can speak a few basic words of English, that's fine. As this person would be MY assistant as well as a housekeeper and babysitter, I am the one who will decide if they are hired or not, not my wife. I'm smart enough to not hire some 20 yr. old bar girl and have no desire to enter into a hanky panky sort of relationship. I'm happily married and simply want a capable person to help me with my own chores as well as our household chores.

I understand that it may not be easy to find what I'm looking for but this person is someone who would live with us and interact with our family so they need to be respectable and presentable and able to get along with us. We've asked quite a few of our friends and none of them have come up with anyone at this point. Maybe something will turn up but if it was easy I wouldn't be asking on the board.

RedXking, you've got a PM.

Edited by rockhardbkk

That may be true but while we're in Thailand, in my book, it really shouldn't matter what the person is doing. If they want to make 10-15 grand a month, whether it be watching the kids or running errands for me is immaterial.

Rock, you may want to rethink that some more, looking further ahead.

Yes, you'll surely find someone interested once they hear a salary like that- and working for a farang, but getting someone with abilities such as you require for a PA require someone with higher education, unless it's just a fancy name for a gopher ("go for this..". I really agree with Harry. Getting a PA do do anything 'beneath' her is unlikely to work out for long, in my experience. You'll most likely end up with more headaches, and bigger problems than you started with. Or at least that has been my experience with PA's on more than one occasion, when I tried to combine it with being a cook, or gardening, in addition to their PA duties... never a maid combo, though.

Yes, they will agree, for the salary. Yes, they will agree to krieng jai their boss. But, it never seems to last long. Once in awhile is probably okay, but as a regular part of their job, that's another story. Attitudes start to change, resentment builds (maybe because she feels 'slavish') which you begin to notice and get annoyed about, and sooner or later it will require your intervention, most likely in the form of firing them to get rid of now-problematic PA. If you're lucky, there will be no form of 'get back' when you critisize or fire them, but you've surely created an enemy now who won't forget, and will likely talk trash about you at any given oppurtunity, forever....

In the end, I ended up with a gardner, maid-who-cooks, and a 3/4 time PA. The all work well, but they still find time to gather and gossip about me :o

Edited by Ajarn

You may be right. I may need to hire a live-in maid/babysitter and also a PA. Regardless, I need to find a person or persons in the next week or so if possible. Now is not the best time to find staff but when Songkran is over, I wil need things done and I'm not able to do everything myself.

There are agencies in Thailand that deal with that. Thailand is part of the same world you know.

Oh really? Thanks for the so-called help but I wouldn't know that after living here for almost 10 years. There's no need to be rude and this comment doesn't tell me a ###### thing. I know there's agencies available but I'm asking for specific names of these agencies!

I was not trying to be rude. It's that a lot of people do not think Thailand has a lot of the basic commodities that are normal in the outside world. Take Yellow pages for example. How many Farangs do you know that dial 1188 for English Yellow pages Thailand when they need a number. I'll tell you maybe two out of fifty. I have answered your question on numerous occaisiopns and the answer has always been the same. ' Oh,I didn't know they had employment agencies in Thailand'

So please Mr do not rebuke me when I try and help you. So,if you do not know the names of these agencies you could try ringing 1188 and asking. Simple isn't it.

But then again you probably know it all already :o

That may be true but while we're in Thailand, in my book, it really shouldn't matter what the person is doing. If they want to make 10-15 grand a month, whether it be watching the kids or running errands for me is immaterial.

You might need to think again about your package. My secretary in BKK earns base salary of 25,000 baht month + allowances + bonus, 5 day week, holidays, medical insurance etc. Comes from Udon and gone through Uni with a good degree and has very good English, written and spoken.

Took a long time to find her. She is 29 years old.

The maid in our office is on a salary of 9,000 baht and she is capable just about of emptying rubbish bins and making 3 in 1 coffee. She is also very good at looking busy but actually doing nothing.

The point here is that I am told by my admin mgr that you cant really get people for 5,000 baht a month in Bangkok anymore and if you did they are either unrelible or quit after finding a better paying job. So it may follow that your going to struggle to get your PA for 10,000 month, even possibly up to 15,000 month unless you go for a recent graduate.

You might need to think again about your package. My secretary in BKK earns base salary of 25,000 baht month + allowances + bonus, 5 day week, holidays, medical insurance etc. Comes from Udon and gone through Uni with a good degree and has very good English, written and spoken.

The maid in our office is on a salary of 9,000 baht and she is capable just about of emptying rubbish bins and making 3 in 1 coffee. She is also very good at looking busy but actually doing nothing.

The point here is that I am told by my admin mgr that you cant really get people for 5,000 baht a month in Bangkok anymore and if you did they are either unrelible or quit after finding a better paying job. So it may follow that your going to struggle to get your PA for 10,000 month, even possibly up to 15,000 month unless you go for a recent graduate.

You dont cover the rent, food, bills etc of your secretary do you?

You dont cover the rent, food, bills etc of your secretary do you?

It feels like it sometimes but no we do not. Her allowances are for things like mobile phone, misc transport (I have never figured that one out) and a clothing allowance - items that she incurs because of working for us and our requirements - all run to about an extra 5,000 baht month and no her clothing allowance is not for bedroom attire, just in case your wondering its for her suits and dry cleaning :o

I was not trying to be rude. It's that a lot of people do not think Thailand has a lot of the basic commodities that are normal in the outside world. Take Yellow pages for example. How many Farangs do you know that dial 1188 for English Yellow pages Thailand when they need a number. I'll tell you maybe two out of fifty. I have answered your question on numerous occaisiopns and the answer has always been the same. ' Oh,I didn't know they had employment agencies in Thailand'

So please Mr do not rebuke me when I try and help you. So,if you do not know the names of these agencies you could try ringing 1188 and asking. Simple isn't it.

But then again you probably know it all already :o

Lampard - You may not have been trying to be rude but you were nonetheless. Your response to my post was not at all useful. So excuse me but I'll rebuke you when ever the ###### I want ya arrogant prick. :D Be as angry as you want.

As a matter of fact I know all about the yellow pages and various other sources. Like I said, I've been her 9 years, I probably know alot more than you think. I was asking for a NAME or NAMES OF RELIABLE MAID SERVICES OR SOMEONE WHO HAS USED A PARTICULAR AGENCY AND HAS SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT. Obviously you don't have anything useful to say so you ought to just shut yer piehole. Thanks anyway.

Digger - Thank you for responding. You may well have a very good secretary but I'm not willing to go as high as 25,000 plus perks. I'll hire two people as it seems I will need too but I'm not asking for the world from the PA. All I expect is a little computer data entry, some errands run and the ability to make and answer phone calls. I will eventually find a person who fits the bill and if I need too will pay up to 15 gs a month. I also would have no problem paying expenses such as her cell phone.

As far as the maid...9,000 a month so she can empty the garbage and make 3 in one? I know it's asking alot but I've never been one to hire someone so they could sit around and look good and make me coffee. They need to do more than that, period. If you want money and want to keep your job, then work. Otherwise I'll find someone else or just empty the trash and make my coffee myself. They would be expected to clean the house and office, empty the trash, watch the kids sometimes (WHILE I'M AROUND) and basically inegrate themselves into our family. From what I've been told, a live in maid generally gets between 6-8000 baht max plus food. Again, for someone who is willing to work and not stand around and do nothing I will gladly bump up their salary. Otherwise I'll just keep looking or do it myself! I don't expect much, I simply don't want to pay people to sit on their ass all day if there are things that need to be done. Somehow I don't find something like washing the dishes or mopping the floor overworking a person who is supposed to be a maid in the first place.

I'd give the last girl a couple hundred baht to walk down to the market for us and pick up some fruit or whatever. Maybe I'd give her 200 baht and the food was 120 baht. I always would let her keep the change and she made a few thousand extra each month because of it. I didn't have to do this and thought it was ok as I thought she was doing a good job. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem paying someone a decent wage if they are doing a good job but I'm not going to overpay either.

Baht and Sold - thank you.

Careful, don't splash out. That's thirty quid a week for a  maid/babysitter/PA/Seceratary/driver/gardener/general dogsbody :o

BTW Lampard - We're not in England, we're in Thailand. I don't give a shit how many quid it costs. I do however care how many BAHT it will cost. Flipping Wanke#...

Edited by rockhardbkk

Many foreigners who come to Thailand employ housekeepers and other sorts of staff. Many of them would never been able to afford to have staff in their own country. There they would have to wash their own dishes.

It is funny (and sad sometimes) to see their attitude towards their staff.

If you hear the foreign ladies of the expat-clubs talk about their staff (subject number one) and you hear their accents you sometimes would like to remember them about their position at home.

Careful, don't splash out. That's thirty quid a week for a  maid/babysitter/PA/Seceratary/driver/gardener/general dogsbody :D

BTW Lampard - We're not in England, we're in Thailand. I don't give a shit how many quid it costs. I do however care how many BAHT it will cost. Flipping Wanke#...

Wow! What an attitude. Don't be surprised if this thread goes quiet....... :o

Careful, don't splash out. That's thirty quid a week for a  maid/babysitter/PA/Seceratary/driver/gardener/general dogsbody :D

Wow! What an attitude. Don't be surprised if this thread goes quiet....... :o

Exactly..................If any of the people he wants to employ read this first then the poor sods got no chance. But then by the sound of it he wouldn't employ anyone that could understand his rantings and ravings anyway.Still it takes all sorts to make a forum. Don't you just love it.

Actually I gave much the same original response to the same question in another forum, and do you know what the poster replied................Thanks for the info that's what.

Could be though this ones a Bayern Muenchen fan and the name Lampard sends shivers down his spine

Edited by lampard10

We had a live-in maid / babysitter whom we paid 6000 baht a month. She was great for about 6 months and then one day she just up and left. She left all her worldly possessions (1 small bag) and that was the end of her. I don't understand why

Really? I think I can take a rough guess..... :D:D:D

(I feel a flame coming on....... Ouch!) :o

Careful, don't splash out. That's thirty quid a week for a  maid/babysitter/PA/Seceratary/driver/gardener/general dogsbody :o

Make sure the girl has a good degree majoring in PR and in her spare time she can input a bit of knowledge of that art to you. She will need to start at the very beginning. In the mean time grab a copy of ' How to Win Friends and Influence People ' That'll be a modest start.

We had a live-in maid / babysitter whom we paid 6000 baht a month. She was great for about 6 months and then one day she just up and left. She left all her worldly possessions (1 small bag) and that was the end of her. I don't understand why

Really? I think I can take a rough guess..... :D:D:D

(I feel a flame coming on....... Ouch!) :o

I'll be more scathing Udon. Diplomacy is not my greatest trait. The guy cannot be that intelligent to announce on the internet just why all his previous staff left him. :D

Obviously got no sense of humour either :D

Lampard........It's amazing how someone can read a post and not really comprehend the string of words.

As you are aware, I've never met you, so, my reading of your post was it was very slightly tongue-in-cheek, nothing more, and helpful.

And then you get attacked by the OP. :o

Lampard........It's amazing how someone can read a post and not really comprehend the string of words.

As you are aware, I've never met you, so, my reading of your post was it was very slightly tongue-in-cheek, nothing more, and helpful.

You can't please all the people all of the time. I'm quite happy pleasing most of the people most of the time. Thanks for your support.

The OP is hanging off until he finds one with medical qualification as well so she can care for their health needs in her spare time. :D