Online Degree In Physics

BugJackBaron

Is it possible? I am tired of the low ESL salary they pay here. I studied some physics in uni

but got a BA in Philosophy :)

I have found some correspondence schools but all seem to want you to live in the US or near Britain.

Any that will take expat ESL teachers living in Thailand?

Sorry, I do not want to sound like a downer, but even with a physics degree, your pay for teaching physics(advanced math) at a Govt. school or any Uni here will probably not go up. My friend who just returned to BKK after going back to the UK for a year to finish his Masters got a good job with an International School who hired him in the UK, and he is making decent money now, which is almost twice as what I make in a Govt. school.

Another close friend of mine has his Phd. and has been teaching at a Uni. for almost 5 years and his pay is just a tad above mine.

weigh your options and good luck OP.

Edited by mizzi39

We employ Physics, Biology and Chemistry, Advanced Math as well as other subjects teachers. They earn approximately the same as the English teachers. A few of them may make 1,000 baht more a month, but that is more by virtue of being in a better negogiating situation at the time they were hired.

There are a lot of Filipinos and Indians who have science and math degrees. As far as native speakers go, there is actually a fair number of engineers who fill the requirements as well.

If you want to teach physics--or if you want to learn physics--do so. But if your plan is to get a lot more money, you may end up disappointed.

We employ Physics, Biology and Chemistry, Advanced Math as well as other subjects teachers. They earn approximately the same as the English teachers. A few of them may make 1,000 baht more a month, but that is more by virtue of being in a better negogiating situation at the time they were hired.

There are a lot of Filipinos and Indians who have science and math degrees. As far as native speakers go, there is actually a fair number of engineers who fill the requirements as well.

If you want to teach physics--or if you want to learn physics--do so. But if your plan is to get a lot more money, you may end up disappointed.

explain this ad from lovely ajarn.com then

[www.teflasia.com/ajarn/browse_jobs/Thailand/94239.html"]http://www.teflasia.com/ajarn/browse_jobs/...land/94239.html[/url]

in case this post gets moderated , ESL job is at 30K, Physics at 50K at an international school on Sukamavit in Bangkok.

Edited by Scott
direct link edited out/Scott

I can't explain the ad, but it looks like a recruiter. As such they may be looking for teachers for different schools or programs.

I do the hiring for some of our 'sister' schools. They are Thai programs and offer only ESL classes. The salary for those schools is significantly less than our regular, bilingual program. What is the difference? Luck. We have the same qualifications for both, and if the applicant is lucky we have an opening in bilingual at a higher salary. If not they end up in the Thai program and earn less.

There is a big difference between schools in salary.

Anytime you get an additional qualification/degree or experience in a new setting, it won't hurt you. If, however, you think it will be the key to some big step up in the salary department, it may not. If you can do the degree and want to, it most certainly is a good idea to do it. Just don't get your hopes TOO high and meet with disappointment and frustration.

Online degree in Physics? I wouldn't hire a person with that qualification unless they had years of experience teaching physics or years of experience in a physics-related career. Our school pays 12k per month additional to the 50k basic salary package to science and math teachers with appropriate degrees and experience.