Cat Cdma Down In Isaan?

webfact

My system came back on line at about 7.30PM a few minutes after I had managed to get through to the CAT helpdesk (3rd attempt) who informed me that due to gateway problems it would be down all night.

It seems to have been a Provence wide issue as a friend in Chiang mai lost his CAT CDMA connection at exactly the same time

After months of good service that has now happened several times in the past few weeks

Always the same symptoms. Appears to be connected but no data throughput

The problem was nationwide, same thing here in Phuket - but after all, CAT does have to perform maintenance/upgrades etc.

There's no doubt that they need maintenance, BUT, for some reason I doubt we'll see any improvement in the service. You just can't put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. I think there are simply too many subscribers.

The problem was nationwide, same thing here in Phuket - but after all, CAT does have to perform maintenance/upgrades etc.

There's no doubt that they need maintenance, BUT, for some reason I doubt we'll see any improvement in the service. You just can't put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. I think there are simply too many subscribers.

As a general rule you may be correct, but frankly, right now, my connection is super fast so hopefully what we just saw was related to performance improvements and not just a fluke.

it died here too. back on now. not sure how this can be a "too many subscribers failure". the system use radio signals to the local towers, so it would have to be a central line that is too small...maybe some of the more tech savvy guys can fill us in. in the meantime i will believe its maintenance.

Its on this morning, but seems slow, and many sites will not load.

I understand about maintenance, but they should have a way of notifying users.

Most companies manage to do maintenance during the night when few users are on, noit starting in the middle of the working day.

Edited by thaimite

Its on this morning, but seems slow, and many sites will not load.

I understand about maintenance, but they should have a way of notifying users.

Most companies manage to do maintenance during the night when few users are on, noit starting in the middle of the working day.

same for me. something is wrong, cant be maintenance/upgrade taking this long.

I had the same problem,

I could connect to the very few Thai sites that I use, (banks), but not to international websites. Mostly ok today, but still problems with some sites.

Did this just affect CDMA users? It seems strange if it did, as only international traffic was affected.

Hutch EVDO is on snail speed to, last 3 days.

Last 2 days unable to download. Now downloading at 1500 B/s (yes that is B, not KB/sec)!

Download time for 11 MB is 2+ hours.

Unable to update my antivirus as well.

TV speedtest: download 800Kbps / upload 50Kbps.

Every ISP will tell you that their DNS is best, BUT did they give a valid technical reason?

Before changing to Open DNS I had many problems with my CAT connection dropping out.

I have just seen an old post (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Isp-Dns-Server-t305598.html) about some software called treewalk. Does anybody have any updated information about using this

Edit

I believe that the reason ISPs prefer you to use their DNS is for customer support purposes. Knowing that the customer is using their DNS makes it easier to troubleshoot issues by eliminating one variable

Edited by thaimite

I have been having some issues the last few days as well, and then yesterday...I try to connect and it says username/password is incorrect. This also happened before, and I changed the username/password and it worked again. Does anybody know the correct username/password? I have used [email protected] with evdo (i think) as a password for the past several months. Before that I was using [email protected] with cdma (i think) as a password.

I have been having some issues the last few days as well, and then yesterday...I try to connect and it says username/password is incorrect. This also happened before, and I changed the username/password and it worked again. Does anybody know the correct username/password? I have used [email protected] with evdo (i think) as a password for the past several months. Before that I was using [email protected] with cdma (i think) as a password.

Username = [email protected]

Password = catevdo.

Beofre anybody asks the dongle is hard wired with your user ID so telling the world this infomration is no good unles you have a stolen dongle

Where are you entering the username and pasword?

I know that CAT has different GUIs for different dongles, but those are the settings for my Merlin X720.

Do not enter them in the Windows Dialup, (DUN) but in the CAT Gui (Profile Manager, Edit Profile) This seems rto override any settings in the M$ DUN wizard (including DNS servers)

Edited by thaimite