Abandoned Motorbike Prompts Airport Security Scare

george

Abandoned motorbike prompts airport security scare

CHIANG RAI: -- A motorcycle owner who had parked his vehicle at the Chiang Rai Airport in Thailand's northern region was surprised today to discover that his vehicle had prompted a major security scare.

The motorbike caused general panic at the airport when staff noticed that it had been left there for several days, and the general assumption was that it was probably a vehicle bomb.

But today Mr. Achawit Sornsriwichai admitted to Pol. Col. Charan Woraphattananan, superintendent of Chiang Rai district police station, that he was the owner of the Yamaha bike.

Mr. Achawit said that he had lent the bike to a local English teacher from the United Kingdom, and had not known where the vehicle was until informed by the police, who tracked him down after making checks at the local vehicle registration office.

The English teacher, identified only as 'Greg', apologised to the police for the panic that the motorbike had caused, but said that he had been visiting the western Kanchanaburi Province for a few days and that it had not occurred to him that parking the motorbike might spark a security alert.

--TNA 2005-04-13

Abandoned motorbike prompts airport security scare

The English teacher, identified only as 'Greg', apologised to the police for the panic that the motorbike had caused, but said that he had been visiting the western Kanchanaburi Province for a few days and that it had not occurred to him that parking the motorbike might spark a security alert.

--TNA 2005-04-13

not the brightest peanut in the turd, is he? :o

I dare say the airport staff over reacted. Seems the guy parked properly in a parking area.

As astral said, at Don Muang you can park your car (or a motorbike) for a daily fee, which I do all the time, drive to the airport, leave for a neighbouring country and upon return pick up my car, pay the fee and drive home.

That's what the airport carparks are for (albeit expensive on long term).

I dare say the airport staff over reacted. Seems the guy parked properly in a parking area.

As astral said, at Don Muang you can park your car (or a motorbike) for a daily fee, which I do all the time, drive to the airport, leave for a neighbouring country and upon return pick up my car, pay the fee and drive home.

That's what the airport carparks are for (albeit expensive on long term).

Axel, your applying logic here from the west. Car parks at airports are for staff to park in. Anybody that can afford to fly will of course have a driver and tourists come to the airport by taxi. Thats why you can never get a space in Don Muang thanks to all the staff using it. :o

Axel, your applying logic here from the west.    Car parks at airports are for staff to park in.  Anybody that can afford to fly will of course have a driver and tourists come to the airport by taxi.  Thats why you can never get a space in Don Muang thanks to all the staff using it. :o

:D

Digger, I understand what you mean, means I live too long too East. :D