Thai Man Seen Beating Young Thai Woman,

ScubaBuddha

I looked up my "10 point procedure for interfering in domestic disputes" that I formulated for a similar thread a couple of years back.

Sceadugenga's 10 point procedure for interfering in domestic disputes.

1) Stand between the couple.

2) Speak clearly and reasonably to the man.

3) Suggest he might like to pick on someone his own size.

4) Woman combatant then strikes you on the back of the head with nearest heavy object.

5) You fall to ground semi-conscious.

6) Male participant then puts in the slipper.

7) Both parties continue kick you for several minutes.

8) They then go inside to continue domestic dispute in peace.

9) Try not to move in case you have spinal injuries.

10) Wait for ambulance to arrive.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its important no to see this (domestic violence) as a Thai only issue. Naturally enough in Thailand you would expect more incidences of Thai on Thai domestic violence.

To accept this as a cultural norm is to accept genocide, rape in marriage, child marriage, female genital mutililation, foot or head binding, slavery etc as cultural norms. All are still practised in some cultures surely no one here tolerates all of these under the when in Rome principle.

I have only been in Thailand for eight months, operating a small business for six months that employs eight Thais. Two of the female employees have at least every two months come in to work with blackened eyes, each has had a period of hospitalisation, each has had stitches to face, each has had multiple bruising to wrists.

They are well aware of my zero tolerance on this and have witnessed me on several occasions address unruly patrons or persons who were generally making an arse of themselves to staff (in my restaurant). I would be a disgrace to the father who raised me if I did not act in some (almost all) cases.

On each occasion where these women have come in with their war wounds they have immediately begged me not to get involved and to let them stay and work in kitchen for a few shifts. I have had brief words with their husbands and suggested that they are not welcome in my restaurant and that they can wait outside if they are picking up or dropping off their wives. All other husbands/bfs are more than welcome to come in at the end of the night for drinks.

The husbands...French and a Swede......It appears that enlightened societies are not universally enilightened.

How anyone can have any sense of pride or achievement in striking a woman is a constant source of amazement to me. I would be embarrassed that my wife made me that angry. I would be mortified if anyone saw her with any contusions in public.

Hitting a wife is like striking a child or a dog or a cripple or a blind person....your not a man...you are pathetic. I do not even want to breathe the same air as you and I will not acknowledge you as a man.....you are so undeserving of the title...week as piss.

While the OP has raised the issue as a Thai one, for me the issue I (specifically) see more regularly is farang husband on thai wife and it sickens me, and yet they all want to have a drink afterwards as if nothing has happened. I simply can't do it any more. The only sure thing is that I will no doubt be visiting a female employee in hospital once the festive season comes into swing.

If you don't want to act in Thai on Thai then fine, but please if you see a Farang on Thai at the very least have a word with the guy.

Do what you would if it was your mother, sister, daughter or wife. Be a man.

I think its important no to see this (domestic violence) as a Thai only issue. Naturally enough in Thailand you would expect more incidences of Thai on Thai domestic violence.

To accept this as a cultural norm is to accept genocide, rape in marriage, child marriage, female genital mutililation, foot or head binding, slavery etc as cultural norms. All are still practised in some cultures surely no one here tolerates all of these under the when in Rome principle.

I have only been in Thailand for eight months, operating a small business for six months that employs eight Thais. Two of the female employees have at least every two months come in to work with blackened eyes, each has had a period of hospitalisation, each has had stitches to face, each has had multiple bruising to wrists.

They are well aware of my zero tolerance on this and have witnessed me on several occasions address unruly patrons or persons who were generally making an arse of themselves to staff (in my restaurant). I would be a disgrace to the father who raised me if I did not act in some (almost all) cases.

On each occasion where these women have come in with their war wounds they have immediately begged me not to get involved and to let them stay and work in kitchen for a few shifts. I have had brief words with their husbands and suggested that they are not welcome in my restaurant and that they can wait outside if they are picking up or dropping off their wives. All other husbands/bfs are more than welcome to come in at the end of the night for drinks.

The husbands...French and a Swede......It appears that enlightened societies are not universally enilightened.

How anyone can have any sense of pride or achievement in striking a woman is a constant source of amazement to me. I would be embarrassed that my wife made me that angry. I would be mortified if anyone saw her with any contusions in public.

Hitting a wife is like striking a child or a dog or a cripple or a blind person....your not a man...you are pathetic. I do not even want to breathe the same air as you and I will not acknowledge you as a man.....you are so undeserving of the title...week as piss.

While the OP has raised the issue as a Thai one, for me the issue I (specifically) see more regularly is farang husband on thai wife and it sickens me, and yet they all want to have a drink afterwards as if nothing has happened. I simply can't do it any more. The only sure thing is that I will no doubt be visiting a female employee in hospital once the festive season comes into swing.

If you don't want to act in Thai on Thai then fine, but please if you see a Farang on Thai at the very least have a word with the guy.

Do what you would if it was your mother, sister, daughter or wife. Be a man.

if its a farang doing it have some of your kitchen boys stomp his head in, that for sure the bib will ignore.... :)

Scubabuddha - you done the right thing, and as another member rightly stated, the chances of the other person having a gun, been a copper or the mafia coming to his aid are non greater in Thailand than they are anywhere else. It's another of the stereotypical myths about Thai's.

Good lord I couldn't read beyond this point. You get your information from where? Inform yourself before you give advice that could harm or even kill others.

Just another case of 'But those things never happen to people like me'.

Your reaction is an entirely creditable emotional response by a Westerner. However, your final paragraph strongly suggests that you have neither understanding of nor insight into the incident which you witnessed.

Your GF was right. The apparent victim made no appeal to you for help. None of your business; not your country; not your culture. Keep out of it or there is every risk that you might find yourself in really serious difficulty.

Thank you for your comment Kitsch. I appreciate your honesty, however your position makes me sick. I may be in Thailand, but I am still a human being. There are a lot of different cultures with different values, and some of those values and traditions I may disagree with. In the end this is very connected to human rights, something this part of the world does not have a very good track record on, and I believe this indecent is symptomatic of that. (And yes I realize western countries have been guilty of violations as well.) I realize I am looking at it from the perspective of a westerner, however, I would contend there are some things that transcend culture, or at least should. Quite honestly I don't really give a shit about finding myself in "serious difficulty" as you define it. Besides that, I am not sure how making an anonymous phone call can land anyone in "serious difficulty". A "serious difficulty" for me is knowing I did nothing to help a probably innocent person be seriously hurt or worse. It is the same reason I took EMT training. Sadly I have had to amend my own rules when I see a person in need since I know of two farang EMT's in Thailand that were arrested by the police for stopping to help motorbike accident victims. Even the I will now only stop if it is a farang or a child of any nationality, since I don't really care what the police do to me if I am able to possibly save the life of a child.

It is a part of me so ingrained I cannot, nor do I wish to change it, no matter what backward view the culture I live in has on the subject.

Here is a good article detailing the sad state of affairs concerning farang's that have first aid training in Phuket.

Phuket News Good Samaritans told to walk on by

http://phuket-post.com/article/phuket-loca...-to-walk-on-by/

I very much appreciate the fact that you (unlike some others) understand that my comments represent no more than simple factual observations. I hope he will not mind if I analyse some of what you have just said.

Saying that "I am a human being" frankly does not amount to very much. The person whom you thought to be guilty of a criminal assault on a weaker person was also a human being. I am a human being and I happen not to agree with you. You cannot separate a human being from his culture. But (I am afraid) what you are trying to do is (with the very best of intentions) impose your culture in a land that is not your own and that does not share your culture. You cannot separate your idea of a "good track record" from your culture. My wife heartily approves of extrajudicial executions of known drug dealers and suspected drug traffickers caught in flight and also the fact that (up here in Chiang Rai at least) new admissions to the local jail following sentencing get a heavy beating from the prison guards. Some years ago when one of our neighbours habitually beat his wife quite badly (only when drunk) I was told very firmly that I must not intervene in any way and that "She will run away if it gets too bad." And indeed she did run away eventually. My wife and I have agreed to differ at the personal opinion level on these things and we have reached a working arrangement whereby she tells me how I should behave while I am in Thailand and I tell her how she should behave while she is in UK. While I do not follow her instructions blindly, it is a long time now since I have overridden any firmly expressed instruction received from her in this area. If you think about it in a detached fashion, do you really believe that you have the right to exercise cultural colonialism so as to override the life's experience of your girlfriend?

There are no absolutes in human rights; it is all relative. The perspective changes according to where you find yourself standing: in geography, in culture and in time.

I'm glad I still have some faith in humanity. Sounds like you don't. If I see a woman being beaten on the street, (were all assuming it was domestic violence, but we really don't know) and I decide to call the police, I am "exercising cultural colonialism"? So you're telling me you would have just driven right past and ignored them? Wow.

If you are prepared to deal with the potential consequences of involving yourself with those kind of people, then by all means, get involved. I would strongly recommend against it.

Again, my "getting involved" was to make an anonymous phone call. What "potential consequences" are there in that?

What if the guy you're seeing happened to be a cop? Someone in connection to the cops? Has friends who know the cops? A local mafia guy? Everyone knows someone in this country who's connected to the top somehow.

See my comments above about rationalizations. You can "what if" it into absurdity all you want, I still don't believe any of these thing are concerns which would prevent someone from making an anonymous phone call. They are not going to come after some anonymous caller. Come one. And "What if the cops don't care?" Fine, I don't control that. At least I tried. Besides, I have some connections too. :)

The other issues just aren't a concern for me, how can they be if it is an anonymous phone call?

From experiences I've heard of first hand and read about in newspapers, there is zero - absolutely zero - chance of the cops responding to an anonymous call about domestic violence. If they were even remotely interested in a reported crime they would insist on your name and address and would probably turn up hours later. Also, the tradition here is they get a little something for their trouble, so they would need to feel confident that that would be forthcoming.

The art of living in Thailand is to accept that some bad things are just the way it is here while not condoning the bad stuff as "acceptable." In other words, you sometimes have to accept (on one level) the unacceptable. Otherwise you'll go crazy.

But a reported man beating a woman in the street I think they would come. How ironic that the type of calls we cops in the west deem the highest priority get little or no response here. I good reminder of the backwards country we live in.

I'm glad I still have some faith in humanity. Sounds like you don't. If I see a woman being beaten on the street, (were all assuming it was domestic violence, but we really don't know) and I decide to call the police, I am "exercising cultural colonialism"? So you're telling me you would have just driven right past and ignored them? Wow.

Faith in "humanity"? No. Too well aware of Belsen, Palestine, Darfur etc. etc. etc.

Would I drive past and ignore? Depends. I could stop and listen and understand what was being said. I could give a clear explanation over the phone to the cop, in his own language. "No same-same you."

Most probably I would end up doing nothing and if the Missus was with me that probability would become 100%

And yes of course you are exercising cultural colonialism. Your GF who knows and understands has given you good local guidance, but you as the Big White Boss think you know better. 'Twas ever thus.

Edited by Kitsch22

There has recently been public information advertisement running on Thai TV along very similar lines to the OP's report. Thai guy beating seven shades out of his wife/girlfriend and everyone standing by and doing nothing - The quesiton asked and the point made that it is not acceptable to standby and do nothing.

Those of you old enough will remember domestic violence was in the west until a generation ago accepted - no body else's business, and the Police did little or nothing when receiving Domestic Violence reports.

Attitudes in the West have changed to the point that I doubt anyone would standby and watch this behaviour, the Police and the courts now take it very seriously.

The public information film would suggest awareness of the issue is now on the Thai agenda and we can expect attitudes to change as they have in the west.

The OP's response was I think commendable, he did what he could and of course he's brought the issue here, so it gets discussed.

I don't understand the attitude of 'When in Thailand' or the attitude of naming this 'Cultural Imperialism' or perhaps I do - maybe some guys like it just the way it is.

Your reaction is an entirely creditable emotional response by a Westerner. However, your final paragraph strongly suggests that you have neither understanding of nor insight into the incident which you witnessed.

Your GF was right. The apparent victim made no appeal to you for help. None of your business; not your country; not your culture. Keep out of it or there is every risk that you might find yourself in really serious difficulty.

Nonsense, that is never acceptable in any degree. The part about " not your country" is pathetic, I believe it is every persons duty to help those in need. My friend with me now, (Straightdave- moderator's he cannot log on, has he commited some 'sin'?) behind me now posted some month's of doing one's civil duty and of the need to carry personal protection to persuade wrong doers to desist in whatever they are doing

Of course this never happens in the West does it? I watched a guy in the Uk drag a woman down the road by her hair and I mean drag she was horizontal and beig dragged along screaming blue murder, scummy coucnil estate type in Birmingham, I called the Police who said when they finally arrived unless she wants to make a complaint they couldnt do anything. Needless to say she didnt make a complaint. Types like this just love to bring their low life living out on the street, the same types who are often seen slashing ridiculously at their wrists with no real effect or adding to their DIY tattoos ie "mum" or some such rubbish. They'd probably start beating you up together if you interfered.

There are no absolutes in human rights; it is all relative. The perspective changes according to where you find yourself standing: in geography, in culture and in time.

I don't always agree with Kitsch, but in this case I do 100%. The simple fact is, you have no idea of the situation you were barging into. Perhaps the girl needs money from that man, which she then sends to her family. Maybe she has made a conscious decision to accept some amount of brutality because it provides someone else she loves with the means to live.

How would you feel if you broke up that relationship in your misguided bid to "protect her" only to find out you ruined her family's sole means of support? There are lots of things in Thai culture that we in the West have no parallel for. It is not OK to ignore Thai culture when making decisions.

As for lacking humanity, if the girl was screaming "help, help" and you did nothing, then of course that is terrible. But when you don't understand the rules, and the people who do are telling you that you are wrong, you need to listen to them. Do not let your cultural biases blind you to other ways of living. Let her ask for help before you decide what is best for her. It sounds like she was quite capable of screaming if she felt the situation warranted it, and even I can understand enough Thai to recognize a plea for help.

nothing to add to your girlfriends explanations.

This is not America

The girl did not ask for help

she did not want to run away

--> not your business, not your culture...you are a guest here

I don't always agree with Kitsch, but in this case I do 100%. The simple fact is, you have no idea of the situation you were barging into. Perhaps the girl needs money from that man, which she then sends to her family. Maybe she has made a conscious decision to accept some amount of brutality because it provides someone else she loves with the means to live.

How would you feel if you broke up that relationship in your misguided bid to "protect her" only to find out you ruined her family's sole means of support? There are lots of things in Thai culture that we in the West have no parallel for. It is not OK to ignore Thai culture when making decisions.

As for lacking humanity, if the girl was screaming "help, help" and you did nothing, then of course that is terrible. But when you don't understand the rules, and the people who do are telling you that you are wrong, you need to listen to them. Do not let your cultural biases blind you to other ways of living. Let her ask for help before you decide what is best for her. It sounds like she was quite capable of screaming if she felt the situation warranted it, and even I can understand enough Thai to recognize a plea for help.

There again with the "Perhaps" and the "Maybe's" Because she is not screaming for help just let him go at her? You people make me sick. You're all cowards in my book. You do nothing to help a woman being beaten in public then you are as low as the man doing the beating. Perhaps he was trying to rob her and she was too scared to yell out. Perhaps she knew a further harder beating would ensue if she did. It is not "Thai culture" to beat your wife or gf in public, or private. It is simply wrong no matter where you are. You have been here so long you seem to have lost your moral objectivity.

Thank you to those who still give a shit about other people.

Edited by Scubabuddha

It is simply wrong no matter where you are. You have been here so long you seem to have lost your moral objectivity.

Perhaps. An alternative interpretation is that we have been here long enough to recognize that it is wrong to apply Western values to uniquely Thai situations.

You read it your way and I'll read it mine. If all you wanted was for everyone to tell you that you that you did the right thing, you should not have asked if you were wrong. I made the mistake of thinking that you actually wanted an answer to the question you asked. I was obviously mistaken. It is quite clear you are already certain you are correct, and no amount of rational discussion is going to change your mind.

I guess this thread can now be closed.

It is simply wrong no matter where you are. You have been here so long you seem to have lost your moral objectivity.

Perhaps. An alternative interpretation is that we have been here long enough to recognize that it is wrong to apply Western values to uniquely Thai situations.

You read it your way and I'll read it mine. If all you wanted was for everyone to tell you that you that you did the right thing, you should not have asked if you were wrong. I made the mistake of thinking that you actually wanted an answer to the question you asked. I was obviously mistaken. It is quite clear you are already certain you are correct, and no amount of rational discussion is going to change your mind.

I guess this thread can now be closed.

Yes I think you are right, I was really hoping for affirmation that I was doing the right thing, and actually many people, including some I know and respect did say just that, but I am still surprised at the apathy exhibited by others, even for the often bitter and jaded Thaivisa crowd. I do think of it differently; I don't think of it as a cultural issue, but a personal one. Maybe a culture allows this certain behavior, but an individual should never. You didn't make a mistake in thinking I actually wanted an answer to the question you asked, you made a mistake by thinking that I would agree with it and not respond with how I felt about it. Now I know what the farangs here thing about this, fairly split. Next I will ask some Thai's. I think I already know the answer.

There again with the "Perhaps" and the "Maybe's" Because she is not screaming for help just let him go at her? You people make me sick. You're all cowards in my book. You do nothing to help a woman being beaten in public then you are as low as the man doing the beating. Perhaps he was trying to rob her and she was too scared to yell out. Perhaps she knew a further harder beating would ensue if she did. It is not "Thai culture" to beat your wife or gf in public, or private. It is simply wrong no matter where you are. You have been here so long you seem to have lost your moral objectivity.

Thank you to those who still give a shit about other people.

First of all with the nick: "ScubaBUDDHA" don't speak about culture.

Find yourself a new name which is not ScubaJesus and not ScubaAlaha.

than sit yourself down and recognize that you are not the center of the world or the worldpolice nor the USA is.

Than read some history. Always the Americans went with very good intentions in conflicts (therefore we love the Americans) and every time it was not appreciated by the conflict partners and it ended with cruel and murdering millions of people, in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq (therefore the USA is hated).

Neither you nor the USA are the judge here or anywhere else who tells this is right this is wrong. It is simply not your business.

Than read some history. Always the Americans went with very good intentions in conflicts (therefore we love the Americans) and every time it was not appreciated by the conflict partners and it ended with cruel and murdering millions of people, in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq (therefore the USA is hated).

Neither you nor the USA are the judge here or anywhere else who tells this is right this is wrong. It is simply not your business.

I think we appreciate the help the Americans gave us.

WM...

wanderingman' date='2009-12-01 00:55:03' post='3175132']'h90' post='3175063' date='2009-11-30 21:17:25']...

I think we appreciate the help the Americans gave us.

WM...

I lived through the second world war , it was pretty horific , had it not been for the Americans jumping in , I have a feeling the world would not be so good to live in as it is today . There are billions holding out their hands to America to have their palms greased with US dollars , when they get it they say how bad America is , why do so many have to use America for its whipping boy to cover for their inadequacies ? It would be nice for some to find their own b@#@ls and fess up that they are their own worste enemy and placed themselves in the sh#$@#hole they are in , yeah , it's you I am looking at .

If you are prepared to deal with the potential consequences of involving yourself with those kind of people, then by all means, get involved. I would strongly recommend against it.

Again, my "getting involved" was to make an anonymous phone call. What "potential consequences" are there in that?

What if the guy you're seeing happened to be a cop? Someone in connection to the cops? Has friends who know the cops? A local mafia guy? Everyone knows someone in this country who's connected to the top somehow.

See my comments above about rationalizations. You can "what if" it into absurdity all you want, I still don't believe any of these thing are concerns which would prevent someone from making an anonymous phone call. They are not going to come after some anonymous caller. Come one. And "What if the cops don't care?" Fine, I don't control that. At least I tried. Besides, I have some connections too. :)

I realize what you did was a great deed, but your last sentence only proves my point. An anonymous call can easily become non-anonymous. Naturally, there's no guarantee that any of these bad things will happen, but I'd feel a lot safer doing them in a country where not every average Joe has someone to call to pull some strings somewhere when shit hits the fan. I've seen enough situations spiral out of control in that regard for me to even consider getting into someone else's affairs, especially if that someone is degenerate enough to beat a woman in public.

I would intervene in a situation and that is my decision but i would not presume to judge someone for deciding to stay away.

I would also suggest that someone whose "profession" involves tackling these people probably has the full wait of the law with them, where as, a good samaritan that inadvertantly turns up at a situation is potentially leaving themselves open to problems.

I've no doubt there are thousands of such situations!

Scubabuddha - you done the right thing, and as another member rightly stated, the chances of the other person having a gun, been a copper or the mafia coming to his aid are non greater in Thailand than they are anywhere else. It's another of the stereotypical myths about Thai's.

Good lord I couldn't read beyond this point. You get your information from where? Inform yourself before you give advice that could harm or even kill others.

Just another case of 'But those things never happen to people like me'.

Mmmmm, let me see, which poster would I use to help me make a decision, dttk0009 or Maizefarmer....mmmmmmmm, maybe i should flip a coin? :)

dttk0009, perhaps you should take a bit of your own advice (underlined above) and get yourself correctly informed before posting.

Maizefarmer has a wealth of knowledge and expereicne to share with people here at thaivisa, yet you want to challenge that with snappy little one lines and poorly constructed sarcasm....pffft. :D

Edited by neverdie

I would intervene in a situation and that is my decision but i would not presume to judge someone for deciding to stay away.

I would also suggest that someone whose "profession" involves tackling these people probably has the full wait of the law with them, where as, a good samaritan that inadvertantly turns up at a situation is potentially leaving themselves open to problems.

Yes, I agree with you carmine. In relation to the highlighted part of you p[ost regarding someones whose "profession" involved taking these peoople, probably has the full weight of the law with them, would be correct, however in scubabuddha's case he has all the experience and training to deal with this issue, yet abosoluty no 'power' to act.

Again theres thousands and thousands of possible outcomes for these situations, but those posters that automatically assume that all thai men have bazookas in their back pockets, hold high positions within the Mafia or are a district Police Captain are utter rubbish.

Like yourself carmine, I take no pleasure in watching some little ahole giving a young lass a touch up, so depending on the situation at hand I will chose a course of action.

Yes, I agree with you carmine. In relation to the highlighted part of you p[ost regarding someones whose "profession" involved taking these peoople, probably has the full weight of the law with them, would be correct, however in scubabuddha's case he has all the experience and training to deal with this issue, yet abosoluty no 'power' to act.

Again theres thousands and thousands of possible outcomes for these situations, but those posters that automatically assume that all thai men have bazookas in their back pockets, hold high positions within the Mafia or are a district Police Captain are utter rubbish.

Like yourself carmine, I take no pleasure in watching some little ahole giving a young lass a touch up, so depending on the situation at hand I will chose a course of action.

I think we are in agreement!

Once a cop always a cop. However you are not in your own country, there are a lot of things here in Thailand that are different, if you are expecting the same values as at home then perhaps yoy will be packing your bags and leaving, as I believe you will never understand it, you are too conditioned to your previous life.

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs by most farang standards, but this is Thailand. If you make the decision to leave this lovely country over one incident then so be it.

If you took the time to read eek's post, you will see that Thailand is attempting to adopt 'the same values as at home' in their 'awareness programs' (which I too have seen on Thai tv) advocating a stand at what they themselves is perceived as not acceptable.

Do you see? The Thais are human beings too! Wow! Not some bloody sub species 'oh well that's what they do'.

And the fact that the THAIS have taken it upon themselves to raise awareness (I know this is repetition, but think you need it) of domestic abuse does show that this was not 'one incident'.

<...>to beat women, And if the police are involved, If they have nothing else to do they just say Its a Family thing sort it out between yourself. I know first hand . it took a visit from My friends Brother, and Uncle who are Thai, to have a Quite word in the Ear of the Woman beater. He also was Thai . We never saw him again , think he had a good think about beating her again.

Edited by camerata
Derogatory generalizations about Thais deleted.

You did the right thing. And you did the best you could.

Sure no one knows what really happened. He could have just caught her screwing his brother for all we know.

HOWEVER,

There is NO, NONE, NEVER, EVER EVER EVER, a excuse for a Man to hit a Woman unless his life or the life of his loved ones are in danger and he has no other viable recourse.

Thanks for stopping and trying to help. I believe you will be blessed for that.

as tempting as it is to run over an smash him into a million pieces for hittin a woman, You just cant for a million reasons as mentioned by many above. I believe in karma tho so im sure he will get wot he deserves in the near future, any1 that hits a woman is a scumbag be it in thailand or england!