Netbook

killerk

hi , i want to buy a netbook most important is the battery life (longest) and i wonder if u can attach a netbook on television , and i saw also some 2gb models but most of them are 1gb whats the diffrence? and of these two; wich one is better Sony’s 10″ Vaio W netbook or Asus 1101 HA seashell

thanx 4 replies

Edited by killerk

Yes you can attach (most) netbooks to your television.

Most new netbooks come with 2GB now, not sure if you ask what the difference is between 1GB and 2GB, besides 1 being the half of 2, it also means that the 2GB is a lot faster due to double the amount of memory :)

I would strongly advice you not to purchase Sony netbooks (or laptops for that matter) as they are heavily overpriced and poor quality.

Due to processor size 1 gb ram should be way more than efficient

Look at the Acer One (6 battery version not the three battery version)

It has crystal screen almost like HD

I bought 2 of these and have been 100% impressed. Never had an issue with either one and my wf takes hers around the world, leaving the large Sony laptop at home.

Skype video works perfect and stays connected for hours

Built in webcam and mic so you dont need any wires hanging out to communicate

160 gb hard drive although I store everything on WD Passport drive

Our's came with the licensed OEM version of Windows XP pre-installed

My Acer One never seems to run out the battery

Excellent for trips, carrying to meetings to connect projector through and all kinds of useful things like communications when you don't want to lug around a heavy laptop

Great on vacations just to have something to download all the photos into

For the price we paid for these, I think it was a hel_l of a deal. It was around 12,000 thb each during a sale.

Netbooks do not include CD/DVD rom drives so I had to purchase one additional portable USB drive for 2200THB. This is mainly for loading programs, but needed if you want to play DVD which I dont

post-91890-1259583601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nio

Yes you can attach (most) netbooks to your television.

My Asus 1000HE can only connect to newer TV's that have an RS232 input. It might also work with one that has HDMI inputs if I were to use a cable with a RS232 connector on one end and a HDMI on the other but I haven't tried that. However I've been competely unable to get it to work with TV sets that have only RCA or SGVA inputs. It doesn;t appear as though the computer's RS232 jack is wired internally to support TV-out. Is that actually an unusual problem with netbooks?

I just helped a Thai friend of mine buy an MSI Wind U100 from J.I.B. They are going for 9500+VAT which is significantly cheaper than most others. probably because it's an older model. It has a 6 cell 5200 mAH battery and an LED backlit screen so I guess battery life should be decent. It only has a VGA D-SUB connector for connection to an external display so really meant for attaching a regular PC monitor but will connect to a newer LCD TV with a PC input.

Most netbooks we looked at only had this type of connector although some do have HDMI, though even this doesn't mean you can play HD video because most machines are not powerful enough to render the larger video images.

I would suggest you check-out the ASUS UL series of notebooks. These are a step up from a netbook but are still small 13.3 screen size and up. They are Core 2 Duo processors but use ultra-low voltage and can last up to 12 hours on battery. They also have HDMI output to a TV or large monitor if you want to do this. Plus, they are good looking and cost less than US$ 1000.

Also, the Aser Timeline series is similar.

I would go for Samsung NC10. I am very pleased with mine. Battery life is around 6 hours if you are surfing or word processing. Watching DVd drops it to about 4 hours. Comes with a free External DVD reader/write and all for just over 10,000 baht

I was tempted to buy that ASUS netbook that received rave reviews - even here in TV - when I was in Singapore in September.

But after all, I decided to wait until those little beasts finally come equipped with Windows7 or at least Vista (which will happen sooner or later). I really didn't wanna go back to the XP times.....

I was tempted to buy that ASUS netbook that received rave reviews - even here in TV - when I was in Singapore in September.

But after all, I decided to wait until those little beasts finally come equipped with Windows7 or at least Vista (which will happen sooner or later). I really didn't wanna go back to the XP times.....

You won't see netbooks with Vista I can almost guarantee you that. Vista takes for to much juice to run compared to XP and Win7.

There are however already several netbooks available with Win7 Starter pre-installed.

The netbook I bought was "Genuine Vista with downgrade to XP" :-) I was looking at resource usage of different OS a few days ago, because its important for netbooks. XP is the lightest (not suprisingly), then Windows 7 and Vista comes in last.

Windows 7 was roughly equivalent in resource usage to Ubuntu. I'm finding Ubuntu a little bit slow on my dual boot netbook, so I'm reluctantly sticking with XP on the Windows side for now.

I would go for Samsung NC10. I am very pleased with mine. Battery life is around 6 hours if you are surfing or word processing. Watching DVd drops it to about 4 hours. Comes with a free External DVD reader/write and all for just over 10,000 baht

seconded! I have one and very happy with it. 12,000 with XP home license. No need for win7 - those comps are not for heavy use but browsing the web and some other lightweight applications.

Mine doubles as GPS, music player and on-the-road e-mail emergency and is glued with velcros to my dashboard. Will post picture later :)

You won't see netbooks with Vista I can almost guarantee you that. Vista takes for to much juice to run compared to XP and Win7.

There are however already several netbooks available with Win7 Starter pre-installed.

which one do come with WIN-7 ?

can you elaborate further ?

....There are however already several netbooks available with Win7 Starter pre-installed.

Most of Acer's Aspire One models come with Win 7 now.

Asus 1008HA has win7

Many of Lenovo's models have win 7.

Plenty to chose from.

....There are however already several netbooks available with Win7 Starter pre-installed.

Most of Acer's Aspire One models come with Win 7 now.

Asus 1008HA has win7

Many of Lenovo's models have win 7.

Plenty to chose from.

Update:

I just checked the computershop-websites from my home country, and - unlike September, when I was doing research during my trip to Singapore - it seems like they now come ALL equipped not only with Win-7, they as well have 2 GB RAM. at least the good and more expensive new models seem to have that:

examples:

Asus Eee PC 1101HA / 11,6"

it comes with Win-7 Home Premium, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, Intel Atom Z520 (1,3 Ghz)

costs 379 € at my home countries' Amazon shop

seems the time is ripe to get myself such a little cutie beast while staying there for XMas ^^