Muay Thai Fighters' Invitation To Challenge Shaolin Monks In Dec 09

pigcuntry

"I Dought if the Monks will rise to the challenge, And if they do , The Thai boxers would not last 2 minutes, These Monks practice every day, probably from the age of 5."

While you are probably right in your assumption of the work ethic of a Shoalin, by your comment it would seem that you have never been to an actual Muay Thai acadamy. The students of the Muay Thai discipline are FULL TIME. When they commit to the art, they pretty much give up everything including family, so that they can devote all their time to being the greatest. Now that's the career boxers. I am sure that the guys you see fighting at the beer bars at night don't get as intense. (that's a joke) I think that if this showdown actually happens, it would be one of those once in a lifetime experiences.

Yes I agree with your Opinion, Up to a point, I did not know, there was part time Monks who only Go to the Monastery for the weekend. I do not Drink, so I don't know what a beer bar is . (True). Maybe its better not to get in any position of confrontation, Which to me is the best form of fighting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an expert, but from what I have seen, at least from what has been televised, is that a lot of the Shaolin monks do what I see as "show" martial arts.

Yep, it's all very arty-farty. Muay Thai on the other hand have been fighting all their lives and have incredible stamina - training for hours on end under a tin roof in the boiling heat, etc.

.....great macho stuff... hope there are no adults involved in this thread!

"I am an xxxxx xxx fighter!"

"welcome, then meet my .38" !

someone wrote "it all depends on the rules..." guess so not to forget the referee and the jury!

I would think part of being an adult (male) is the ability to defend yourself and your family. In that respect it only makes sense to train what is most effective.

The rest of you can wait for the police (yeah right) or bitch on TV.

"I Dought if the Monks will rise to the challenge, And if they do , The Thai boxers would not last 2 minutes, These Monks practice every day, probably from the age of 5."

While you are probably right in your assumption of the work ethic of a Shoalin, by your comment it would seem that you have never been to an actual Muay Thai acadamy. The students of the Muay Thai discipline are FULL TIME. When they commit to the art, they pretty much give up everything including family, so that they can devote all their time to being the greatest. Now that's the career boxers. I am sure that the guys you see fighting at the beer bars at night don't get as intense. (that's a joke) I think that if this showdown actually happens, it would be one of those once in a lifetime experiences.

Yes I agree with your Opinion, Up to a point, I did not know, there was part time Monks who only Go to the Monastery for the weekend. I do not Drink, so I don't know what a beer bar is . (True). Maybe its better not to get in any position of confrontation, Which to me is the best form of fighting.

My comment about the Muay Thai fighters "FULL TIME" should have been worded different, my bad. What I really meant by that is that they have absolutely brutal training workouts. The ones that have been in the art (to me its more than a sport) for a respectable time and are steadily focused on the top are hardened and polished beyond a point that most of us could imagine. I'm very sure that the Shoalin fighters go through extreme training also, but I feel that they may not focus on power and stamina as much as the Muay Thai fighters do. I may be completely wrong. If I am, please accept my apologies in advance. Also, as far as a "beer bar" goes, it is a lot of open-air bars close together under 1 roof. Yes, there may be bigger establishments with more than 1 roof, but I'm just using it as an example. I have a very good friend in Pattaya who owns a bar at one of these types of locations. There is a total of about 20 bars and the bars usually have anwhere from 10 stools to 30 stools depending if the bar is along the wall or in the inner part. In Pattaya, there are a few of these that have a boxing ring in the middle and have matches almost every night. Many of the boxers who fight in these locations do it on a nightly basis. Its nowhere close to being title fights, but its still good to watch and its free.

Any followup on whether this contest will actually take place and whether the muay thai contestants are Thai or Chinese? If fully trained stadium boxers from Thailand, the Chinese takeout boys don't stand a chance. Muay Thai always defeats kungfu/wushu.

As for Qi Gong, I'm with the sceptics on that one, parlour tricks.

I am a Muay Thai fan and I think on most days they can floor just about anyone except for K1 MAX fighers who I see as the ultimate but we are talking about Shaolin monks here which is a different kettle of fish. Besides normal kungfu these monks practise Qi Gong, and I have seen a 70 year old Qi Gong master repel a dozen young man with just a flick of his arms, and the superman feats of letting a truck run over their torso, breaking bricks over their heads etc...Qi Gong is not martial arts per se so there is no comaprison

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journ...ews_15_2_yu.pdf

My comment about the Muay Thai fighters "FULL TIME" should have been worded different, my bad. What I really meant by that is that they have absolutely brutal training workouts. The ones that have been in the art (to me its more than a sport) for a respectable time and are steadily focused on the top are hardened and polished beyond a point that most of us could imagine. I'm very sure that the Shoalin fighters go through extreme training also, but I feel that they may not focus on power and stamina as much as the Muay Thai fighters do. I may be completely wrong. If I am, please accept my apologies in advance. Also, as far as a "beer bar" goes, it is a lot of open-air bars close together under 1 roof. Yes, there may be bigger establishments with more than 1 roof, but I'm just using it as an example. I have a very good friend in Pattaya who owns a bar at one of these types of locations. There is a total of about 20 bars and the bars usually have anwhere from 10 stools to 30 stools depending if the bar is along the wall or in the inner part. In Pattaya, there are a few of these that have a boxing ring in the middle and have matches almost every night. Many of the boxers who fight in these locations do it on a nightly basis. Its nowhere close to being title fights, but its still good to watch and its free.

I agree with you about Muay Thai fighters its a brutal work out, Its a bit like compairing Ninjas to Samuri. Respect to the all .

More info: "The five boxers from Thailand will be in China for the contest on Dec 19 in Foshan, Guangdong province, the hometown of late action star Bruce Lee."

Apparently the Shaolin temple refused to fight the muay thai challengers.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2009-12/...ent_9082164.htm

Excellent job! Thanks for taking the time to inform and update others.

Interesting thread! It led me to view several Shaolin videos on YouTube, as well as a few actual "fights" between Muay Thai and other disciplines. I've nothing much to contribute to this thread other than my sincere respect for any and all athletes who are far along in their journey to master their fighting discipline. May you never need it for anything other than sport.

This video clip is nothing but semi-related comic relief. I stumbled upon it while viewing more serious (and related) videos. Truly funny, especially if you consider the title of the video.

CHEERS!

D

:) so true what they say, most fights end up on the ground

• 2 weeks later...

China Central Television reported on Dec. 20 that the Shaolin fighters won four of the five bouts. I just had a Chinese colleague search in Chinese (I could find nothing in English). In the 75-kilo class, the Shaolin kungfu fighter won by knockout in the second round. Is any of this being reported in Thailand?

The Shaolin fighters must be much better than the Kiai master. I watched the MMA fighter and the Kiai master and it was no fight at all. The MMA guy knocked him down quickly and if it had not been stopped for a while it would have been over then. The Kiai master got up and within about 20 seconds he was down big time and didn't get back up. The MMA fighter never worked up a sweat.

Sorry about this, but all I could get was a machine translation:

December 19 evening professional Muay Thai VS Kung <deleted> tournament for hegemony in Foshan Lingnan Pearl Stadium war, in the 75 kg class competition, the China's "power and prestige Shaoxia" KO Thai "boxing eliminate wind" Blue Sang-kun, Chinese Kung <deleted> 3-1 to seal the victory ahead of schedule.

Chinese Kung <deleted> 2-1 lead, Thailand determined to open the fourth field. Blue Sang-kun to take advantage of vicious elbow attack hit his head open and blue-Sang Kun Yuezhanyueyong also fell The second game after game with open sense of shame-yong, an opponent will fall onto the ground, combative unprecedented fierce competition. The third set competitions, Thai pace attack suddenly speed up play, "offensive combinations", a punch hit the blue Sangkun (the Thai) face, then kicked in his opponents chest, one foot, and finally heavy blows directly to KO opponent. Thailand players can not maintain Pabuqilai (??) future battles, and Chinese Kung <deleted> 3-1 lead early to seal the victory. Thailand coach very unhappy, accusing (the Chinese?) of beating Thailand's head, a brief spot the differences game.

Captions for attached pictures: Muay Thai master lincent-kun knocked down. Quanji Lu Wang (I think) Kungfu winner in 75 kg class

post-14658-1261379290_thumb.jpg

post-14658-1261379600_thumb.jpg

Edited by ferd54

Then this -- sounds like some possible shady dealings:

However, the result was KO Thai players and coaches are not convinced that they and the Chinese referees, the staff at the fist stage, an emergency consultations, the audience constantly stir up trouble. By KO Sang-kun at the sidelines of the blue made a minute or so, then also stood up and repeated viewing of video playback on the big screen, he himself fell on the ground, after India kicked open his neck of that thing seems to be very dissatisfied with Competition This interruption of 5 minutes. In the end, after consultations, the Thai side accepted the penalty and finally a confrontation between the peak of a successful transfer.

I would sure like to see a video of these fights.

Then this -- sounds like some possible shady dealings:

However, the result was KO Thai players and coaches are not convinced that they and the Chinese referees, the staff at the fist stage, an emergency consultations, the audience constantly stir up trouble. By KO Sang-kun at the sidelines of the blue made a minute or so, then also stood up and repeated viewing of video playback on the big screen, he himself fell on the ground, after India kicked open his neck of that thing seems to be very dissatisfied with Competition This interruption of 5 minutes. In the end, after consultations, the Thai side accepted the penalty and finally a confrontation between the peak of a successful transfer.

I would sure like to see a video of these fights.

It seems that the Chinese fighters have really improved their skills by learning Muay Thai techniques.

From what I saw, it looked like the Chinese were fighting Muay Thai, not kungfu, style. It looked like some of the decisions could have been hometown bias as well.

From what I could find out on other websites, these were not Shaolin monks, who were prohibited from accepting the Thai challenge and the circus atmosphere, but supposed practitioners of of Shaolin-style kungfu.

Methinks the whole thing is a bit fishy, actually.

'ferd54' date='2009-12-22 15:07:53' post='3219277']

From what I saw, it looked like the Chinese were fighting Muay Thai, not kungfu, style. It looked like some of the decisions could have been hometown bias as well.

From what I could find out on other websites, these were not Shaolin monks, who were prohibited from accepting the Thai challenge and the circus atmosphere, but supposed practitioners of of Shaolin-style kungfu.

Methinks the whole thing is a bit fishy, actually.

Methinks we have a poor loser here ????????

I'm getting a "DNS Error" from this link posted above, is it just me?

http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/f4024943o1p0.html

That's a shame. I'm in China and the link works fine. Another aspect of the Great Internet Firewall in China? I don't know. They are endlessly monkeying around with the Internet. Perhaps in this case they don't want the "outside world" seeing what videos are uploaded. Youku is the Chinese answer to Youtube. If you have a VPN, perhaps that will work (we are constantly playing a cat and mouse game here with proxy servers, tunnels and VPNs).

To dumball: I'm not a loser in this either way. I'm not rooting for the Thais. Just after watching the matches I think the evening could have just been a show whose outcome was determined beforehand. The fact that it has not been reported at all elsewhere also makes me suspicious -- but I have no proof at all.

Edited by ferd54

There have been many, many bouts between Chinese and Thai fighters over the years. The Thais won the vast majority of them. It is not a coincidence that most MMA champions at least study muay thai, whereas there has never to my knowledge been a MMA champion who is mainly a kung <deleted> or Chinese style martial artist. I am being objective here because I have never trained muay thai but for many years trained in mostly Chinese style martial arts, and have great respect for all styles, but the record speaks for itself and the edge definitely goes to muay thai. However, to be fair it should also be noted that many of the most effective techniques of Chinese style are not allowed in the competition.,

I'm getting a "DNS Error" from this link posted above, is it just me?

http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/f4024943o1p0.html

It downloaded fine for me using CAT EVDO. About 10 MB and took a LONG time. The clip shows the fighters entering the arena, all the preparations and a short part of the first round. That's it, nothing more.

With the possible exception of Jujitsu, which allows a poorer fighter to possibly catch a superior fighter in a fight-ending hold, from what I can see, the superior, most aggressive fighter wins no matter the "brand" of martial arts training.  As a kid in school, I won a fight with our school's only black belt karate practitioner, a kid everyone else was afraid of, merely because I acted like the Tasmanian Devil and came in crazy. That backed him up and put hesitation in his mind, so I was able to close in with my wrestling skills and not let him put his strike training to work on me.  All because of the facade I put up.

The monks, from what I see, are taught to use meditation to raise pain thresholds, allowing them to do some amazing things with their bodies, such as being hoisted my dull spear tips.  And they are taught flowing dances, essentially, using martial arts-type moves.  But I have never seen them really fight like the Koreans do with their taekwondo and other arts.  However, if it was not the monks who fought the Thais but fighters trained in the shaolin style, well, that could be different.  Aggressive fighters, people who have been in the ring before, with the crowd backing and the right mindset, could defeat Muay Thai fighters.  THey have a few more moves in their repertoire, but it probably came down to the better athlete and more aggressive fighter with the stronger mindset.  

from what I can see, the superior, most aggressive fighter wins no matter the "brand" of martial arts training.

From what I've seen in the UFC, striking styles (eg. muay thai but especially boxing) usually lose to grappling styles. They get pulled to the floor and then its over pretty quickly. I don't think its a matter of aggression. In fact the grapplers often seem content to wait for their opponent to make a mistake (Gracie is a classic example of this).