Only a coffee fanatic can relate to this post

Thaiquila

I like to drink a large cup of black brewed coffee. No lattes or mocha-zesta-wackaccinos for me.

I also like it filled to the top, as I like my coffee strong, black, and not modified by cow secretions.

In the US, I say "no room for milk please" and I get what I want every time.

However, in Thailand, at places like Starbucks, even when the barristas speak Thaiglish or even decent English, I can assure you saying "no room for milk" will NEVER work.

I have tried to say "please fill it up (or to the top) with coffee" but that almost never works either.

My only solution so far has been to get what they give and then point to the huge empty space, and say "more coffee please." Even then, the usual reaction is unpleasant, and I get the feeling that I am breaking some kind of rule and asking for free coffee.

Egads!

So, any fluent Thai speakers (I can speak a little), can you suggest a basic Thai way of asking that they give me the full cup of coffee that I thought I was paying for. Before you accuse me of being a Cheapskate Charlie, consider that a large coffee at Starbucks is about 80 baht, so  customers should get some satisfaction.

Cheers.

Order two cups !

Seriously though, it's considered impolite to fill a coffee cup right to the very top. That's why you're getting strange looks. Even in the western countries they won't do it. Its too easy to spill. Remember that court case where the idiot successfully sued McDonald's because he spilled their scalding hot coffee all over himself.

For a full cup, you would say something like: "เอากาแฟร้อนถ้วยเดียวให้เต็มด้วยครับ" (One full cuppa jo please). Then repeat ให้เต็ม or ให้เต็มเต็ม just for emphasis.

Or, you can ask for a 'special' cup (ถ้วยพิเศษ = tuay pih-sate). This means an extra bigger portion when ordering food (or drinks). It might cost more though. Bon apetite!

Thanks very much for the insight.

Obviously, there are cultural differences on the full cup of coffee thing. In California. it is common to be asked "room for milk?" without any prompting at all, and if no, you get a full cup of black coffee. Don't lattes usually come as a full cup?  So maybe it is as much about the presumption of adding milk than the fear of hot spills.

In Thailand, the default fill for a black coffee is about 2/3 full which is really silly if you are not using milk; this leaves a huge space. Thus, I have indeed often resorted to ordering  two cups at some places to meet my requirements.

Can you please romanize these Thai phrases? I will definitely try this out!

"For a full cup, you would say something like: "เอากาแฟร้อนถ้วยเดียวให้เต็มด้วยครับ" (One full cuppa jo please). Then repeat ให้เต็ม or ให้เต็มเต็ม just for emphasis."

As mush as I hate romanising thai, here goes...

"เอากาแฟร้อนถ้วยเดียวให้เต็มด้วยครับ" (One full cuppa jo please).

Ow gaa-fay rorn tuay diaw hai tem duay krap.

The problem is that English isn't a tonal language. Unless you know the tones, the above sentence may not be understood. You say you can speak a bit of thai so I will leave it for you to work out how to say it!

If your thai is limited just ask for a big cup of black coffee and then say 'hai tem tem'.

I really think that ordering a 'special' cup would be more successful (i.e. slighlty bigger than the normal size cup).

Btw, I have never heard of 'no room for milk' (I'm not american). I remember visiting a local food place in LA somewhere and asking for 'take away'. The girl behind the counter had no idea what I was saying even after about a minute of explanations. Luckily a passer-by sorted it out by saying: I think he wants it 'to go' ! Just goes to show how even English speaking countries can be linguistically/culturally different from each other.

I didn't write it but my husband is sitting here and he says it says :ow cafe rohn tuoy deow, tim tuoy kap. tim tuoy is fill it up. tim tuoy is the emphasis on "FILL IT UP!!!" btw, we own a resort/restaurant, and unless someone specifically requests black coffee (as you seem to do) then I fill it up 2/3s, if they ask for black coffee they get a cup full enough for me to carry without spilling it all over myself. maybe they are just clumsy and afraid of spilling hot coffee on themselves?

The best way to get a full cup is to have a pocket full of five and ten baht coins when you order the coffee.

If the level of coffee does not quite reach the rim of the cup when it is served, start dropping coins into the liquid until the level rises to where you want it.

Too easy !!

:laugh: