Tourist Visa To Us Question

Lets see here ....

27 y/o, currently unemployed, living off of savings. Musician/music teacher/book author (drumset instructional bok, should be coming out in the next few months). I do work when I get it (legal work - gigs that don't offer work permits are not worth my time. Aside from being illegal, they don't pay well.)

I am virtually, but not actually, married to a Thai girl with a 3 month old son.

My mom was going to come out to visit my new baby, but had the idea that we come out and visit her.

Whats the prognosis for getting her a tourist visa to the States? How long would it take to get one, if possible? I'm afraid I don't have much to garuntee that I'm coming back. No property, and, at the moment, no job. The only thing I can really think of is the return ticket.

Thanks

Start with the "compelling reasons" your Thai g/f has for returning to Thailand. Since your long stay potential in Thailand is minimal, your g/f would have a better chance, if any at all, for a tourist visa in not linking her application to your relationship.

A fiance visa sounds like your best bet, but others will have to explain the rules for you.

Start with the "compelling reasons" your Thai g/f has for returning to Thailand.  Since your long stay potential in Thailand is minimal, your g/f would have a better chance, if any at all, for a tourist visa in not linking her application to your relationship.

A fiance visa sounds like your best bet, but others will have to explain the rules for you.

Well, for practical purposes, a fiance visa will take too long. We do plan on getting one, but not for at least another year or 2 at the earliest. It would be really nice if she could visit, though.

What chances does she have for getting one not linked to me? Our son will be coming with, too. He'll have a US passport by then, of course, but how would this affect her chances? It seems to me that makes it harder for her to disassociate herself from me, though.

What do you think?

Compelling Reasons for her to return to Thailand would include completing university study, returning to a job, money in the bank, owning property, family ties and post return events compelling her attendance and the like.

It sounds cruel, but leaving the baby with Mom for a couple of weeks would be a compelling reason for her to return, in my view.

Likewise, your remaining in Thailand on paper because of work commitments while she goes to visit your mom to show the new baby is another compelling reason for her to return. If your work commitments allowed you to meet her in the U.S. unexpectedly after she got there, all the better.

In the last analysis, it is your g/fs ability to convince the interviewing officer of her desire and motivation to return to Thailand which controls, but hard evidence of "compelling reasons to return" are required.

He'll have a US passport by then, of course,  but how would this affect her chances?

Slightly off topic - sorry.

Is a child born out of wedlock, and outside the United States, with only the father a U.S. citizen, automatically entitled to U.S. citizenship too?

Patrick

He'll have a US passport by then, of course,  but how would this affect her chances?

Slightly off topic - sorry.

Is a child born out of wedlock, and outside the United States, with only the father a U.S. citizen, automatically entitled to U.S. citizenship too?

Patrick

Yes, it does. I've a friend who is a month ahead of me in the citizenship process. He said it was actually pretty easy to pass the Citizenship interview. They never asked for a DNA test or anything - pretty much just took his word that the kid was his.

Compelling Reasons for her to return to Thailand would include completing university study, returning to a job, money in the bank, owning property, family ties and post return events compelling her attendance and the like.

It sounds cruel, but leaving the baby with Mom for a couple of weeks would be a compelling reason for her to return, in my view.

Likewise, your remaining in Thailand on paper because of work commitments while she goes to visit your mom to show the new baby is another compelling reason for her to return.  If your work commitments allowed you to meet her in the U.S. unexpectedly after she got there, all the better.

In the last analysis, it is your g/fs ability to convince the interviewing officer of her desire and motivation to return to Thailand which controls, but hard evidence of "compelling reasons to return" are required.

Hmmnm... the primary reason to go is to show off the baby. Otherwise my mom will just come here. She is a student / homemaker at the moment, so no work commitments. I don't know about port return events compelling her attendence, though. Completing study would count, and I could put money in her bank account. Anything else I might be able to do to help? Thanks!