Singapore Marriage + Residency Really So Easy ?

THAIPHUKET

The situation=

Professional diver (sat + air ) believes it will be easier to find dive jobs (industry down ) if country of residence is Singapore rather than Thailand.

He is able to marry a Malaysian girl with residence in Singapore.

Below links seem to make it easy, is that so? Anyone done it?

What are the foot traps?

Cons = education very little except diver certificates. Spoken English ok, written English not so ok.

Judging from the US it sounds all too good.

Is your goal to get a Long Term Visit Pass or to become a Permanent Resident? Also when you say that you are able to marry a Malaysian girl with residence in Singapore, do you mean that she is classified by the Singaporeans as a Permanent Resident or is she living there an Work Permit visa or an Employment Pass?

P.S. I'm assuming that you'd want to marry that girl regardless of whether it would gain you residency in Singapore. If that's not the case, then it's probably not a good idea. Singapore's ICA officers are pretty astute, if it's a "green card" marriage they'll probably figure it out.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I simply want to caution a friend not to think it will be that easy, expecting some if not as rigid interrogation by US Immigration. Purpose is clearly to get a green card.

Dont know if money will flow.

OK, I misinterpreted - I thought that you were asking on behalf of yourself.

Definitely it is common in the case of the of a Caucasian expat who is living in Singapore to be granted a visa for his spouse that is functionally equivalent of his own. For instance, if the ang moh man is resident in Singapore on an employment pass, his wife is likely to have a Long Term Visit visa (or some other similar visa) entitling her to also be resident in Singapore. If the man becomes a PR (permanent resident), often the wife will as well. That's almost an automatic thing if the man is working in a field that the Singapore government values (engineering, sciences, banking, medicine, etc) and if he already has landed a job with a company in Singapore. If you fall into that category, your experience when you deal with Singapore's immigration officers is likely to be a positive experience and you are likely to have your applications promptly. However I have heard from people working in lower end jobs and who are in Singapore on a Work Permit instead of an Employment Pass that Singapore Immigration is considerably less accommodating for them and that in some cases they need to wait extended periods of time to get their applications processed.

However it's much less common that the roles are reverse and that it will be the woman who is the expat working in Singapore and a husband comes along in tow. I'm not sure that the Singapore goverment would view it as being an equivalent situation (though they might).

My guess is that your friend's chances would be best if he was able to line up a job in Singapore that pays a high enough salary to entitle him to an Employment Pass on his own merits. On the other hand, if his only qualification for the visa would be marrying a Malaysian girl who happens to be working in Singapore, then it might not be a slam dunk. Basically Singapore wants people who they think will contribute something economically to their country and is less keen on others.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Sorry to spoil the party.

A foreign man married to a Singapore citizen will have to apply for a long term visa based on his own merits. It is unlikely that marrying a Malaysian on a working visa or even PR will entitle the foreign man to a more lenient consideration.

Sorry to spoil the party.

A foreign man married to a Singapore citizen will have to apply for a long term visa based on his own merits. It is unlikely that marrying a Malaysian on a working visa or even PR will entitle the foreign man to a more lenient consideration.

Singapore's not going to be an economically attractive place for someone who wouldn't qualify for a long term visa on their own merits anyway. Singapore's not a cheap place to live. It's one thing to live in Singapore if you are able to land a spot in Singapore's corporate world and they pay you a western salary, but you're unlikely to have a very high standard of living if you're an occasionally employed free spirit. Thailand's much better for the latter, unless of course the Malaysian girlfriend has tons of money and intends to shower her would-be husband with it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

this all very helpful and not unexpected. Can anyone tell how exactly the approval process works?

Written examinations, interviews, jointly , separately?

If approved will it be job specific, eg. only jobs in the offshore industry or can he take jobs in the port, if no dive jobs ?