Current Rice Prices For 2009-10

Foreverford

Hom Mali, Bt15.10, Govt RongSii in Buri Ram town. Some variations out of town, saw Bt15.30 in Krasang. Unofficial reports indicate one should hold 'til New Year.

Did anyone do well contract harvesting this year? Difficult; much of it fallen, all came at once and Kubota have sold another 250 harvesters in this area.

for some reason, the price of rice here, overseas in israel, has jumped a huge huge amount.... why is that? is the rice we are eating now from last years suppy?

(thai jasmine) and also glutinous which was always more expensive anyway... our 'supplier' (the guy that sells the big sacks for thai workers) told us the price has jumped... i just paid 40 shekels for 5 kilo (i was quoted 140 shekel for 25 kilo bag of thai jasmine recently -but this saturday he had only the 5 kilo bags- the 25 kilo bags used to be 110-120)... sorry dont know shekel to dollar rate but 140 shekel is hugely expensive, we may ahve to start eating the persian rice that most people here eat-- although not as good for the thai style of cooking it.

bina

israel

B14.5 for hom mali in Prasat today, just south of Surin. The dealers have big signs out on the road advertising the new price.

gotlost - I wonder why Kap Cheong is 15.6? We are just a few kilos north of you. Regardless, I told the old girl to hang on for a few months more and see what happens. She's already bought enough from her neighbours to fill her Ban Kow (rice house) and is now renting space in others. Everywhere I go, I see new ones being built.

I wonder why Kap Cheong is 15.6?

From this price they will take 10 % away = 14.05 / kg

But the goverment or firms working with them, did pay yesterday, for good quality, 14.50 Bath/kg.

Edited by Somrak

I have no idea why the price in Kap Choeng is higher. I travel the road from Kap to Surin and see the price of rice and scratch my head. I am aware of the way they grade the rice and not to much in this are will receive the max. The family turned in some rice and out of the 15.60 they received 14.50. They were very happy. They even bought me a case of Tiger Beer at Big C. But they plane to hold off in selling the bulk tell about April. :)

OK, an update. Just talked to the gf and found out that Prasat price went up today to 15 Baht from 14.5 yesterday. If your rice is dry and not too broken up, that's the price you get for Hom Mali. No discount.

Her brother got 15B last week though because he grows Organic rice. Didn't know there was such a thing. He apparently belongs to a Co-op called Sahat Kohn and their price is guaranteed.

From what the old girl tells me about the Kap Cheong price difference, she has heard of midnight runs of rice across the border there to Cambodia where the price is B22. No proof though and if it's so why isn't everyone doing it?

• 5 months later...

What's the price of rice in your area now?  Seems to have been going steadily down round here, Buri Ram, this year.  Latest I heard was that the Rong Sii were offering Bt6 plus all sorts of excuses to neighbours in the Krasang area, midway between Buri Ram and Surin.  Last New Year I saw many clean 38-tonners, rigid-and-trailer, going east and returning a week or so later laden with rice, I suspect Vietnamese.  It was the start of the Free Trade Agreement.  Is this now to be a permanent feature, I wonder?

Edited by euca

What's the price of rice in your area now? Seems to have been going steadily down round here, Buri Ram, this year. Latest I heard was that the Rong Sii were offering Bt6 plus all sorts of excuses to neighbours in the Krasang area, midway between Buri Ram and Surin. Last New Year I saw many clean 38-tonners, rigid-and-trailer, going east and returning a week or so later laden with rice, I suspect Vietnamese. It was the start of the Free Trade Agreement. Is this now to be a permanent feature, I wonder?

Euca,

BIL sold a few bags last week to the local merchant in Khukhan Sisaket at 12 Baht. By comparison last season I sold at 14.2 baht.

Isaanaussie

• 2 weeks later...

Euca,

BIL sold a few bags last week to the local merchant in Khukhan Sisaket at 12 Baht. By comparison last season I sold at 14.2 baht.

Isaanaussie

Hi, Tim, Tks for info. Chatted with FIL ydy & he sez it's B10 in Krasang but that's the offer price. Same time, makrua is fetching Bt 40 & prik is at Bt300. OK, dry season but I don't view this rice season with much optimism as I think they will drey in Viet rice any time Thai rice goes up to a fair price for us. Thanks again Messrs Officialdom; FTA was never necessary but you had to meddle. Khao naa prang was indeed only Bt6 a month ago.

regards

Euca

Edited by euca

Hate to be a prophet of doom so I'll just say I'm not excited about the prospects for this seasons rice.

First the rains are late so will be our rice. Second the FAO has stated that global production is expected to be high this year and food commodity prices in general will be down.

I have done a bit of poking about and produced a bit of information that graphically show the trend against last year and over the period from 2005. This information is the FOB price ex Bangkok hence doesnt relate directly to our pricing here, but there are enough parallels to draw the conclusion that without Government intervention this year the prices will be well down on last year.

Interested in everyones opinions. Please find attaced files.

post-56811-040353400 1276041879_thumb.jpFOB Rice prices 2005 to May 2010.pdf

Isaanaussie

Edited by IsaanAussie