Visa Advice - Teaching English, Initially As A Volunteer

Hi!

I recently returned from Thailand having done a 1 month TEFL course, and I am looking to return within the next 1-2 months to do some volunteer English teaching in Nong Khai for perhaps 3 months. Once my volunteer stint comes to an end, I would like to find paid employment as an English teacher in Thailand for maybe 6 months to a year.

Everything I have read seems to suggest that you are better off getting a visa in your home country. I live in the UK, close to the Thai consulate in Hull, which is rumoured to be one of the easier places to acquire a visa.

So my question is: what would be the best type of visa to get in this situation? And what supporting paperwork would I need for this?

Thanks!

"So my question is: what would be the best type of visa to get in this situation? And what supporting paperwork would I need for this?"

Non O multiple entry. That will give you 90 days at a time. with a quick over and back to get a new 90 days. If you do a visa run just prior to the visa expiration date, you'll be able to get almost 15 months out of it.

Check the www site for details of what Hull wants. I think they'll even do it by mail.

Reason - 'to visit friends'.

Don't forget that you can't legally work, even as a volunteer, without a work permit.

Also, you say you want to come here in 1-2 months. Depending on exactly what that means, it could be in a bad time of year as far as schools go.

Non O multiple entry.

Reason - 'to visit friends'.

Thank you Terry. This is enough for me to put the idea to the friend who asked me to come here to teach English five years ago, before I first knew how ill-planned the whole idea was.

Next time I return to Thailand, I will take Thaipoon's and your's advice as good enough to go for the kon diao visit a goof friend/s visa, and leave it to Thailand to decide on it.

I've done all I can. I have no regrets anymore. Thank you Terry.

This is Thailand's last chance.

Thanks Terry, the non-immigrant O sounds ideal for me. It sounds like it functions in the same way as the non-immigrant B with regards to paid employment?

I will have to look into the work permit issue, hopefully the volunteer organisation in question can provide me with one, but obviously not something I can take for granted.

Unfortunately, I don't have a degree, which will probably limit my options for paid employment.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated :)

Multiple entry Non-O visa from Hull on the basis of visiting friends is the way to go. You can apply by post and passport/visa is usually back within a few days. A tip would be to enclose a pre-paid special delivery bag for return delivery of your passport. Just under 4 pounds for postage v 8 pounds Hull would charge.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

As said, you need a work permit to work legally in Thailand, even as a volunteer. The volunteer organisation needs to provide appropriate papers to the local labour office to support your work permit application. Don't worry too much about not having a degree, as believe only some teaching positions have that requirement, but issue of a work permit is entirely at the discretion of the labour office. It's not only diplomas etc they consider; previous job experience, language skills etc are also taken into consideration.