Getting Us Social Security Funds?

mrmillersr

Coming up on my eligibility to receive SS retirement which I will collect ASAP while the US still has some money left to payout.

Obviously, getting a check sent each month would be a nightmare not knowing when or if it would ever arrive. As an alternative, can you set it up where funds are wired every month to one of the local Thai banks and would you need a foreign currency account to do it?

Bangkok Bank is the only bank that SS will wire the money to. Be aware you have to go into the bank it is sent to every month to get the money. Can't get it by ATM or credit card. I assume this to insure that you are still alive and well, If you are sick and can't go in you can't get the money.

Alternately you can have it mailed to you, it is sent to the US Embassy and they forward it to your address in a couple of weeks. Neither way is ideal, if anyone knows a better method maybe they will relate it to you, and me.

Bangkok Bank is the only bank that SS will wire the money to. Be aware you have to go into the bank it is sent to every month to get the money. Can't get it by ATM or credit card. I assume this to insure that you are still alive and well, If you are sick and can't go in you can't get the money.

Alternately you can have it mailed to you, it is sent to the US Embassy and they forward it to your address in a couple of weeks. Neither way is ideal, if anyone knows a better method maybe they will relate it to you, and me.

Don't you have an American bank account set up yet ?? I have my social security funds transferred monthly automatically to my acct with Bank of America. No problem using my account here in Thailand..no charge for direct deposits...however there is quite a steep charge ..about 200 bt or more for using ATM withdrawals. I couldn't survive here without a bank acct. in America, and it is immediately accessible online. I am even notified immediately when a deposit or withdrawal hits my account.

It's the only way to go !

Don't you have an American bank account set up yet ?? I have my social security funds transferred monthly automatically to my acct with Bank of America. No problem using my account here in Thailand..no charge for direct deposits...however there is quite a steep charge ..about 200 bt or more for using ATM withdrawals. I couldn't survive here without a bank acct. in America, and it is immediately accessible online. I am even notified immediately when a deposit or withdrawal hits my account.

Basically, yes, it is the way to go. I think an ATM withdrawal fee is actually about 150 THB, and exchange rates can vary a bit. If you are worried about such problems, you really will have to hunker down. Otherwise, the charges for wiring money (depends on the bank) vary from bank to bank. In Thailand, I suggest Bangkok Bank. In the USA, you'll have to look around.

By the way, there is no inflation boost in US social security payments for 2010! Sorry about that! The COL didn't go up last year !!...................Oops! Neither did the dollar!

If you want to avoid the 150baht, currently Aeon isn't charging that fee.

If you are applying for the social security benefits while here in Thailand, you have to apply through the US Embassy in Manila. Very efficient and willing to help in any way. For most questions, they will answer in one day and in some cases, call direct to your phone number wherever you are. One guy got his call in China.

The address is:

Social Security Division

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office

American Embassy

1131 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930 Manila

Philippines

You have to submit the form SSA-1 and SSA-21 forms. If you are applying in the states, only the SSA-1. Include a copy of the picture page of your passport along with your birth certificate. Originals will be returned. If prior military, you have to include a copy of your DD 214. Check the ssa.gov web page for added info. Good luck.

If you are applying for the social security benefits while here in Thailand, you have to apply through the US Embassy in Manila. Very efficient and willing to help in any way. For most questions, they will answer in one day and in some cases, call direct to your phone number wherever you are. One guy got his call in China.

The address is:

Social Security Division

Regional Office

American Embassy

1131 Roxas Boulevard

Ermita 0930 Manila

Philippines

You have to submit the form SSA-1 and SSA-21 forms. If you are applying in the states, only the SSA-1. Include a copy of the picture page of your passport along with your birth certificate. Originals will be returned. If prior military, you have to include a copy of your DD 214. Check the ssa.gov web page for added info. Good luck.

Better yet e-mail them with your information, address, phone number and they well respond asap. :)

Social Security Administration Division

United States Embassy

1131 Roxas Blvd., Ermita

0930 Manila, Philippines

Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 6319/6302/5085

Fax: (632) 522-1514

E-mail: [email protected]

I just started getting my Social security in September. When applying you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate, your social security card (not a copy), your DD-214 if you are former military, and the social security number of your last or current spouse.

I set my SS up so that I get direct deposit to my Bank of America checking account so I can use my BOA visa/check card to take cash from any ATM. BOA allows me to take up to $600.00 a day from the ATM and I pay about 200 baht for each time I do this and it is a lot cheaper than transferring money.

BB

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Two followup questions. I've got plenty of copies of my military DD214 so that won't be a problem but I only have a photo copy of my birth certificate which I guess won't be acceptable. Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a certified copy of my birth certificate?

Also, I've been living here for the past 10 years and without having a US address is it possible to get a Bank of America checking account? If so, what's the procedure to doing that?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Two followup questions. I've got plenty of copies of my military DD214 so that won't be a problem but I only have a photo copy of my birth certificate which I guess won't be acceptable. Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a certified copy of my birth certificate?

Also, I've been living here for the past 10 years and without having a US address is it possible to get a Bank of America checking account? If so, what's the procedure to doing that?

Thanks again.

I can probably give you an answer from past experience with other matters:

Regarding the certified copy of your birth certificate: You will need to write the Office of the County Recorder/Registrar in the County/State in which you were born. You will need to send them a request for a certified copy of your birth certificate along with the County's fee for doing this - usually less than $10.00 USD. They may require a money order, but possibly cash. Also provide a self-addressed return envelope with proper postage affixed.

With the U.S. Patriot Act in force I don't see any possible way you can open a U.S. bank account from a foreign country and no U.S. address. You would need to go to the bank personally to open an account. I haven't lived in the U.S. for 8 years now but I always maintain an account at Citibank for some things that can only be done with a U.S. address and U.S. bank account. I use a friend's address.

Edited by elektrified

Another way to handle US Federal payments, including Social Security, is to have them sent to a US bank and then set up an automatic monthly transfer to your Bangkok Bank account using the New York routing number. You still get charged a fee by Bangkok Bank, but at least you can withdraw the money from an ATM and don't have to visit a Bangkok Bank branch each month to get your money. Depending on how many ATM withdrawals you make per month this might be cheaper than the 150 baht fee charged by most Thai banks.

I have an account with HSBC which makes the monthly transfer very easy.

Another way to handle US Federal payments, including Social Security, is to have them sent to a US bank and then set up an automatic monthly transfer to your Bangkok Bank account using the New York routing number. You still get charged a fee by Bangkok Bank, but at least you can withdraw the money from an ATM and don't have to visit a Bangkok Bank branch each month to get your money. Depending on how many ATM withdrawals you make per month this might be cheaper than the 150 baht fee charged by most Thai banks. I have an account with HSBC which makes the monthly transfer very easy.

I, on the other hand, am charged a small amount by my U.S. bank for the monthly auto transfer and nothing by BKK Bank.

RE BIRTH CERTIFICATE: My wife's SSA application was accepted with U.S. Consulate certified true copies of her passport, U.S. govt (military) dependent ID picture ID card, and state picture driver's license (3 govt picture ID cards, though I think maybe only 2 are required). She does not have a birth certificate because of an at home birth way back when those were not registed via a birth certificate.

Regarding certifying one's birth certificate, has anyone here applied or is applying using a foreign birth certificate?

My French birth certificate is back in the US. Before leaving the US, I scanned on to my laptop both the original and a newer one I got on a trip back to France in '74. Is there anyway I can avoid having the originals mailed here. I would be a bit nervous about the small possibility of it being lost even with tracking and certification. Can I get my scanned copy certified and by whom?

In response to your question regarding a US Bank account, No I don't have a US account as I haven't lived in the US about 25 years and have only been back there once in the last ten years. Don't have any plans for going back in the foreseeable future. Have not had any reason to have a bank account there. When we lived in Australia they direct deposited to most any bank for SS. They have been mailing our check to us through the embassy for the last three years and has worked OK with the disadvantage being the delay of a couple of weeks in getting the check.

In response to your question regarding a US Bank account, No I don't have a US account as I haven't lived in the US about 25 years and have only been back there once in the last ten years. Don't have any plans for going back in the foreseeable future. Have not had any reason to have a bank account there. When we lived in Australia they direct deposited to most any bank for SS. They have been mailing our check to us through the embassy for the last three years and has worked OK with the disadvantage being the delay of a couple of weeks in getting the check.

Since it looks like getting a US bank account set up is out of the question, looking at the other two options, wouldn't having the funds direct deposited into Bankgok Bank be a better alternative being quicker and more reliable, than having the check sent to the US embassy/consulate? How do you get the check from them? Do you have to personally go there each month, pick it up and then deposit it into a local bank? Also, what does the local bank charge for either a direct deposit or to deposit an actual check?

Also, I saw there is an online service that VitalChek that can provide an expedited service to get a certified copy of your birth certificate but it costs about $60 or so to use them. They obviously are able to get the birth certificate with just the information you provide to them online. That being the case, can't the folks in the Phillipines just use the information on your passport, Social Security card or DD214 to verify your date of birth? I read somewhere that the birth certificate wasn't needed but I don't know how long ago that was.

Since it looks like getting a US bank account set up is out of the question, looking at the other two options, wouldn't having the funds direct deposited into Bankgok Bank be a better alternative being quicker and more reliable, than having the check sent to the US embassy/consulate? How do you get the check from them? Do you have to personally go there each month, pick it up and then deposit it into a local bank? Also, what does the local bank charge for either a direct deposit or to deposit an actual check?

The embassy remails it to us from BKK when they get around to it. Usually takes a couple of weeks. We take them to our local bank, Aydhya Bank and they charge 200Baht per check + 3 Baht stamp duty. The reason we don't direct depoit to BKK Bank is you have to go into the bank to access the money, can't use ATM or Credit Card or transfer to another account. So if you are sick and can't make it in to the bank you cannot access your funds.

I'm interested in this topic because I will be in a similar situation tot he OP in two years time and I don't have a US bank account either. I had always imagined I would simply instruct HSBC (my main bank) to set up a US account for me as they've been able to do in a range of different countries over the years, it now seems that the Patriot Act may interfere with that plan.

I'm a UK passport holder and don't have a US address but I will need to have those funds available to me in the US for use at a later date. If I understand the posts thus far correctly the deposited funds must be withdrawn in person and cannot be transferred electronically once deposited, that all seems a little draconian and very restrictive and I wonder if that applies to all banks in all countries and not just Thai banks in Thailand?

I had always thought that my plans B & C on this subject might be to have the funds deposited at HSBC Hong Kong or Bangkok and then transferred on but posts in this thread suggest that's not possible - I don't dispute posters understanding on this subject but I find it hard to imagine that HSBC Bangkok would require me to withdraw the funds then redeposit them before I could wire them elsewhere so I'll be grateful if anyone can add to this.

Edited by chiang mai

I'm interested in this topic because I will be in a similar situation tot he OP in two years time and I don't have a US bank account either. I had always imagined I would simply instruct HSBC (my main bank) to set up a US account for me as they've been able to do in a range of different countries over the years, it now seems that the Patriot Act may interfere with that plan.

I'm a UK passport holder and don't have a US address but I will need to have those funds available to me in the US for use at a later date. If I understand the posts thus far correctly the deposited funds must be withdrawn in person and cannot be transferred electronically once deposited, that all seems a little draconian and very restrictive and I wonder if that applies to all banks in all countries and not just Thai banks in Thailand?

I had always thought that my plans B & C on this subject might be to have the funds deposited at HSBC Hong Kong or Bangkok and then transferred on but posts in this thread suggest that's not possible - I don't dispute posters understanding on this subject but I find it hard to imagine that HSBC Bangkok would require me to withdraw the funds then redeposit them before I could wire them elsewhere so I'll be grateful if anyone can add to this.

Can't comment on HSBC or Hong Kong. My understanding of the logic in having to personally go in to collect the funds, is to insure you haven't passed away and they are still paying you and no one else.

In Thailand the only bank you can have your SS check deposited directly into is Bangkok Bank. As mentioned before you cannot have an ATM card or electronic banking for this account. You must go into the bank to access your money. You can open a second account and then transfer the money into it, but you still have to physically go into the bank to activate each transfer. These are rules that are set out by Social Security for Thailand. I do not believe they are for all countries. At least 3 years ago when we were living in Australia there was no problem in having the money wired into any bank and any type of account.

I suspect that the differentiator here is Thailand and that the rules may be different for other countries, as one poster has already pointed out. I've just done a quick search on non residents opening US bank accounts and came across the following from an expat banking forum which suggests that HSBC (a bank that operates in the US and in other countries) may well be a possible solution - the question that preceded the answers below was, what alternatives does a non resident alien have for opening a US bank account:

1. Form an American company and then open the account for it. This option is obviously a bit over the top if you’re only making $50 a month from your online empire although it’s probably the best way to go if you’re making a living online.

2. Try opening an account with a bank that operates both in America and your own country. The two most common options for this are HSBC and Citibank as they seem to operate in more countries than most.

3. Open a brokerage account with one of the brokers catering to non-residents.

In practice, the third option is by far the simplest for most people. Most American brokerage firms operating overseas cater exclusively for high net-worth clients (ie assets of $100,000 and more) but two offer accounts for the masses. Schwab has a minimum of $10,000, Etrade has a minimum of $1,000 although you can open it with zero cash upfront. How come the brokers can manage to give you a bank account when nobody else seems to be able to? Simply because the brokerage outfits operate as integrated international organisations whereas the banks don’t (eg Citibank USA isn’t the same as Citibank UK).

Edited by chiang mai

And this on the subject of non-resident aliens opening US bank accounts:

I spoke with a representative at Citibank, which I believe to be the

largest banking company in the world.

The answer to your question is Yes, non-residents of the US can indeed

open a US-based bank account, with online access to the accounts,

credit cards, and so on. It's not an easy process, but it is

possible.

There is no online procedure for doing this at Citibank. They will

need to receive from you -- via the mail -- copies of a number of key

documents -- an application form, 2 forms of identification (at least

one with a photo), information about your in-country bank, and so on.

There are minimum deposit requirements as well, but these vary

depending on the type of account and the types of services you need.

To get the process started, you should call Citibank's International

Personal Banking (IPB) group at:

1-813-604-3000

They will send you a complete package of information on starting up an IPB account.

I'll put this question to HSBC Bangkok and post their reply here when I receive it.

I set my SS up so that I get direct deposit to my Bank of America checking account so I can use my BOA visa/check card to take cash from any ATM. BOA allows me to take up to $600.00 a day from the ATM and I pay about 200 baht for each time I do this and it is a lot cheaper than transferring money.

Not really. Doing an ACH transfer via Bangkok Bank New York would save you considerably.

Using BOT rates for 30 Dec: 33.36 Interbank Exchange Rate (IER) and 33.22 TT rate...

....if you transferred $10,000 to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, you'd end up with 331,368 baht in your account [$9990 would be transferred to Thailand, after the BBNY $10 fee, which would be converted at the 33.22 TT rate, then the Thailand-end 500 baht fee would be subtracted.] Using your Bangkok Bank ATM card to withdraw this money would be free, at least at a Bangkok Bank ATM machines.

Using your BofA ATM card, with a $600 limit, you'd need to hit the ATM machine 18 times to withdraw 331,368 baht [19000 baht 17 times, plus one more time for the remainder.] 18 x 200 baht = 3600 baht (or about $110).*

The Visa/Plus foreign transaction fee is 1% of the IER, so you'd only be getting an FX rate of 33.03, meaning 331,368 baht would cost you $10,032 -- even before any fixed fees are considered. So, total cost over and above an ACH transfer would be $142 for a $10,000 equivalency.

* I'll assume your "about 200 baht" cost is correct. However, according to many -- and also from this site SEE HERE -- your flat fee cost would be $5, plus the 150 baht ATM owner fee. So, if true, it's about $9.50 per transaction. So, we're now talking over $200 additional cost for using your BofA ATM card instead of the BBNY ACH route. Even a more expensive SWIFT transfer would be superior to a BofA ATM regimen.

There *are* ATM cards that beat the ACH route -- and considerable discussion about them on this forum. But Bank of America is certainly not one of them. And, BofA even charges for an ACH transfer (about $3, I believe), while most financial institutions do not.

Their credit cards suck, too.

Jim Gant does it again. Thanks Jim, your analysis is spot on and shows how loose talk misleads.

Banks are masters at hiding true costs of transactions. Getting to the net in hand of any international transfer of funds is the only way to compare.

I don't even trust my math, so do "dummy runs" of any procedure to determine the net I get in my SCB account. Take any constant withdrawal, such a $1000 and then see your net in your Thai Bank account. Compare that with the net in hand by any other method. Keep your eye on the conversion rate!!!! It fluctuates during the day and my guess is that the bank converts at the most profitable rate to them in any given day.

I have tried many different methods, as I have posted before in other threads, and my latest discovery is wiring U.S. dollars to Thailand and allowing SCB to convert into Baht is the least costly. Lately about a half a baht less than the Forex range for the day. Australian banks convert at 2 baht less than the Forex range for the day.

I am in Australian Banks at the moment as their interest rates on CDs 2008 were $7.8%.

For SS recipients, Australia is a country in which the U.S. Treasury Direct Deposit system works. SS deposits the money in the Central Bank of Australia, who then direct deposits the funds into your bank account, thus not allowing your bank to charge a conversion fee or fiddle with the rate when they get the foreign funds.

CBA uses the official rate, which is fair and falls within the Forex range for the day.

There is a wire fee of $20AUD for each wire transfer, regardless of amount, but the money is in my SCB account within 24 hours. There is always a balance of convenience to cost equation to consider as well. For electronic banking enthusiasts, a trip to the bank is an ordeal to be avoided. I go in about once a year for my bank letter for immigration, but won't even need that, hopefully, next time.

By the way, I tried PayPal as a method of international transfer and it is cost effective, but slow and laborious to set up.

For those who don't want to take a vacation to the U.S. to open an account, you might consider a vacation to one of the most western U.S. Territory islands in the Pacific who all have U.S. banks.

First Hawaiian Bank has branches in many of those islands and they take direct deposits from SS.

For those who don't want to take a vacation to the U.S. to open an account, you might consider a vacation to one of the most western U.S. Territory islands in the Pacific who all have U.S. banks.

The downside of this is that traveling to Guam or the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan) from Thailand costs almost as much as traveling to the US West Coast. Also, you're going to need a local mailing address in order to open an account. I spent over a quarter of a century on Saipan and worked as the US Social Security District Office Manager there. I helped a few foreign resident expats set up this sort of thing but for most it turned out to be an unwieldy arrangement.

Guam: Philippine Airways R/T commercial fare to'n'from [ GUM ] [ BKK ] via [ MNL ] NAIA is running about $470 USD all costs included if you are a few weeks out and purchase on a US CCARD.

There is still a "Milk Run" from U-Tapao and Don Muang to Yokota, Jpn on Wed each week. The runs from Yokota Japan to Andersen Guam are thursdays and tuesdays, so this is still doable whenever pax are greenlit for the flt.

If you are a US vet, there are many residential addresses in Guambodia with no mail delivery. Residents set up PO Box service at a USPO, either on Big Navy, on Andersen AFB, or in Hagatna or Tamuning. This is commonplace. As such, banks, businesses and even the SSA will mail to a Guam PO Box with written justification from the owner. However, the US Dept of State and such will not deliver official docs to the PO Box. The stuff is delivered to the Dept of State office in the DMV bldg in Barrigada. You get notification in your primary eMail account, and you or your charge d'affairs must go pick it up.

The USPS will renew your PO Box on a CCARD payment, and this can be done on-line and via telephone. Several law offices will provide a mail drop service in Guam. Fees run @ $150 annum, and services include certified forwarding, including POA receipt from US GOV offices, and forwarding to a Thai Legal Firm's Address.

Soc Sec Check via US Embassy is least safe method, but having said so, it has historically been safe enough, as many expats do just that.

Kasikorn charges me nothing to deposit my personal checks drawn from my USAA checking account into my Kasikornthai current account. When my Govt check drops into USAA, I write its balance on a paper check, and deposit it in the local kasikorn branch. about a week or 10 days, and the balance is upped.

Guam Yellow Pages via internet, skpe-out, call people and ask how.

Cebu Pacific also does a R/T BKK to MNL flight (to NAIA, not Clark) for @ $160 USD altogether. Red-eye. US Embassy in Ermita, Manila has a Soc Sec customer service window. Very Cute filipina there, too.

previous post had the contact info in it.

Easier than you may think.

Happy New Year

- or something like that -