No Injuries Reported In Latest Derailment In Cha-am

webfact

No injuries reported in latest derailment in Cha-Am

PHETCHABURI, 26 December 2009 (NNT) – There was no report of injuries and deaths from the derailment of the south-bound train from Bangkok to Su-ngai Kolok, Narathiwat Province, yesterday evening.

The accident happened as the fully seated train from Bangkok was entering Cha-Am district in the western province of Prachuap Khiri Khan. The wheel of the 2nd bogie was reported derailed, causing the train to skid for 2 km further before coming to a halt.

However, neither deaths nor injuries have been reported. The State Railway of Thailand then ordered suspension of all south-bound trains prompting them to stop at Cha-Am station in Phetchaburi, and at Ratchaburi station. The incident had caused a large number of people stranded.

However, with the help of two lories equipped with large cranes, the derailed bogies have now been retrieved and all trains have resumed normal service.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009/12/26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

What a dangerous farce Thai rail is, Only have to travel on it to know its like a 3rd rate un safe old style fairground ride

We once did the night train from Chiang Mai to Don Muang airport in BKK which was okay in 1st class until a fire started on the floor of the next carriage, the baggage car; the guard said "oh that happens always" and nonchalantly threw a bucket of water over the flames. The wind created by the movement of the train was fanning the fire. I still wonder how big the flames would have reached had I not been passing by at the time.

And they (Thailand) are going to build an nuclear power station - can you just imagine - the reactor malfunctioned today due to unknown causes (we think the security guard nodded off) - there were no injuries or deaths reported (we kept it all quite so as not to cause panic) :)

Edited by Artisi

Yes, this does seem uncomfortably regular now. However State Rail and the Government have rapidly responded with bored indifference as nether could really give a stuff as they never use the system anyway. Maintenance money was siphoned off by one and all and it isn't an election issue.

Yes, this does seem uncomfortably regular now. However State Rail and the Government have rapidly responded with bored indifference as nether could really give a stuff as they never use the system anyway. Maintenance money was siphoned off by one and all and it isn't an election issue.

hmmm reassuring.

Was the writing and editing of this report carried out by chimpanzees? It is far from illuminating and I am guessing at what actually happened.

I assume that this was not a locomotive hauled train and that the trailing bogie of the first coach left the rails. How come the train skidded? Did all the rest of the wheels lock up? Given the speed of Thai trains and the additional drag due to the derailment, 2 kilometres seems a long way to travel before the train came to a halt.

What I find particularly disturbing is that there is no mention of the track being inspected after the event and that in the absence of information to the contrary, I assume that the train proceeded after being lifted back onto the rails. SNAFU comes to mind.

It's also not good for tourism. Trains were a major form of transport for a lot of tourists. It was a nice way to see the country.

Are you nuts? How can a trainload of passengers dropped off near a lovely beachside town not be good for tourism? I'm sure there are a lot of passengers strolling along the Chaam beaches thanking buddha that the train graciously ended its journey on the beautiful coast rather than in BKK.