Military Service In Thailand

Judia

I have a son who still 16 and he live with me over sea + he is Thai.

Is it compulsory for him to join the military? and How can they Find out if anyone didnt join the Military and if he work in thailand would they be able to find out about him not joining?

Miliilitary service is compusory, he has to turn up at the amphur and see if they draft him or not. Not every body is drafted, they draw balls to see who must service and who not.

The draft is done at the amphur, since your son is not living in Thailand and not registered there on a Tabien Baan he will not be called, unless he returns to live in Thailand before he turn 30.

ok he`s over seas with yu, so he has a thai passport i presume, so i`m presuming he must of had to give some evidence of his residence in thailand to obtain passport.

as mentioned compolsury to do the amphur ball draw & if draw to enter it is for 2yrs anytime upto 30 yrs old.

OR not wishing to take the 50-50 chance you can volunteer to do a 6 mth stint

I GOT THIS INFO FROM KORATFRANG TOPIC

do a search for samran and army service; he has given several good posts about this....

in general, if having lived overseas, and registered on tabian baan in thailand, he is supposed to do military service. however, from what thais living from a young age overseas have said is: the thai army is picky about who they take in, even before drawing the balls (black or red)... too short, too fat, dont speak enough thai, wears glasses, etc etc.... is in university, OR, if did boy scouts in thailand.... then exempt or delayed. after a certain age, no need to do it either. it doestn seem to be something to get too worried about frankly...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Militar...58#entry3157358

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Army-Ca...ai+army+service

myabe some one should just collate the info and pin if.....

bina

israel

You didn't mention if you are male or female. In the past, there has been a sexist element to this; I don't know if it still exists. I once worked with a man who was half-Thai, half something else. He said that because his mother was the Thai parent, he didn't have to enter the lottery for military service, but that he would have had to if he had a Thai father and a foreign mother.

allane: not true.

all the info is in the two threads i put in my post above.

bina

israel

(

It is compulsory for the poor...as in all countries that have it.
-- not. here is is cumpolsury for everyone and there are those that also volunteer. and its not easy to get exemption status. definately cant be bought.