Former Pm Suchinda Predicts Govt's Survival, Warns Against Traitors

webfact

Suchinda predicts govt's survival, warns against traitors

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_17073.jpg

Suchinda

Former prime minister Suchinda Klaprayoon on Tuesday said Thais to heed the royal advice on unity and that no one should put foreign interests above those of Thailand's.

"Thai people should love and unite with one another and not siding with foreigners," he said in a veiled criticism related to the role of the pro-Thaksin camp in the Thai-Cambodian ties.

Commenting on the government, he said he found its job performance acceptable in light of prevailing social divisions and the world economic downturn. It was impossible for any governments to achieve a 100 per cent record, he added.

"I believe the government will survive," he said, alluding to concern for the political situation next year.

He was speaking to his well wishers lining up to deliver New Year greetings at his residence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I wonder how he defines "traitor".Would it for example include a general who ordered the mowing down of scores of innocent Thai civilians?

It beggars belief that this disgusting old murderer, with crimes that dwarf those of Thaksin, still has a respected position in Thai society but he does.Forum rules preclude detailed discussion.

Interesting Suchinda has always been very very defensive of Thaksin and his various governments until now. Maybe it comes down to the old class 5 hatred of Chavalit. They had the last laugh in 1997 wonder if they will again. Thaksin and Suchinda have always had good history until now.

Interesting Suchinda has always been very very defensive of Thaksin and his various governments until now. Maybe it comes down to the old class 5 hatred of Chavalit. They had the last laugh in 1997 wonder if they will again. Thaksin and Suchinda have always had good history until now.

Both make the flesh creep but there's a long tradition in Thailand of the elite forgiving the unforgiveable, often after a period of exile whether external or (metaphorically) internal.It's always interesting to speculate what prompts the exceptions to this policy.In Thaksin's case I assume it's because he represents a threat, not so much in himself -a declining influence in my view- but for what he has unleashed in popular politics.Suchinda in contrast, except in the minds of the brainwashed, is incomparably a greater criminal than Thaksin but doesn't represent any kind of threat.Indeed in some ways his current high status reflects the suspicion he was the elite's good and faithful servant who most regrettably was forced by events to pull out of his grisly mission before it was satisfactorily completed.

Posts have been deleted and responses to those quoted posts have been deleted. A reminder of our very strict forum rule -- any further breaches of this rule will result in immediate suspension, I do hope this is quite clear.

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

Both make the flesh creep but there's a long tradition in Thailand of the elite forgiving the unforgiveable, often after a period of exile whether external or (metaphorically) internal.It's always interesting to speculate what prompts the exceptions to this policy.In Thaksin's case I assume it's because he represents a threat, not so much in himself -a declining influence in my view- but for what he has unleashed in popular politics.Suchinda in contrast, except in the minds of the brainwashed, is incomparably a greater criminal than Thaksin but doesn't represent any kind of threat.Indeed in some ways his current high status reflects the suspicion he was the elite's good and faithful servant who most regrettably was forced by events to pull out of his grisly mission before it was satisfactorily completed.

I wouldnt underestimate Thaksin. I was recently upcountry in the lower north and poltically things are a lot more compl;icated than I thought. Thaksin is remembered fondly and people would defintely consider voting for a party he backs. However, the reds arent anywhere near as popular as Thaksin. I think the disloyalty stuff has created a lot of doubt about them and the Songkhran affair hasnt helped. Plus at a local level the powerful poltical gangs/networks attract unsavoury people. You can easily find people who like Thaksin but not reds or even like Thaksin but not PTP but you cant find anyone who likes the reds or PTP but doesnt like Thaksin. He remains very very powerful in politics way beyond what the reds or PTP alone can achieve in my expereince and to be honest I was a bit surprised at this. Just to stress talking about villages in the lower north here. Abhisit and the Dems arent as unpopular as I thought either. The lower north could be a battleground in parliamentary terms rather than physical ones from what I see although the Dems need to do more work and have a bit of luck.

On Suchinda I think it fair to say he was a good and faithful servant of one part of the elite (depends how we define elite which could be dodgy) Class seven and Chavalit represented another school of thought in the elite. Eventually all ended up discredited which is probably a good thing although they are always replaced by another lot. Suchinda and Chavlit etc arent really threats but each brings a smjall number under their influence to the table. Right now Thaksin seems to lack any real sway in the military and Anupong seems confident enough. It is hard to work out if Sae Daeng really commands a great militia or is mostly talk. Hopefully we wont get another Songkhran but that may be overhopeful as one false move or a bunch of inaccurate intelligence could prove fateful.

The audience and it's significance I am referring to was big, very big - Suchinda did apologize!

And since hasn't mad the slightest move to force an amnesty, a further pardon of the crime he committed

and never ever threatened the country and it's institutions - that is certainly a BIG difference!

Which a certain individual expects to be the other way around and is trying even to force it to get it his way!

That is the HUGE difference - agreed - even seconded!

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making here other than comparing the pardon process for Suchinda and (in his dreams) Thaksin.I'm not sure that's the most interesting or significant aspect of all this but I don't take exception to the detail you provide on this matter.I have already explained why Thaksin is a much more threatening figure to the elite.As to the famous audience all I can say again is that there are different interpretations of its significance.You may say it's all in my head but those who have followed contemporary Thai history will know that isn't the case.

I wonder how he defines "traitor"

Somebody quite rightly exercising their democratic right to protest. Preferably an unarmed student.

I fully sympathized with the posters on here with their loathing of Thaksin. The man is a self serving turd. But anyone who thinks he's the devil incarnate of all that bodes ill for Thailand ought to read a bit of history.

To me, in a nutshell, it's

We own you. We own the government. We own the country. Show deference to your betters. And if anybody forgets it remember who's got the guns as a quick reminder.

I wonder how he defines "traitor".Would it for example include a general who ordered the mowing down of scores of innocent Thai civilians?

It beggars belief that this disgusting old murderer, with crimes that dwarf those of Thaksin, still has a respected position in Thai society but he does.Forum rules preclude detailed discussion.

My thoughts exactly. For his sins this man was awarded stewardship of The True Corporation. The Nation's interests indeed.

Despite loving my life here there's a small part of me saddened by the fact that over the years people in power on all sides of the divide simply get away with murdering their fellow countrymen en masse with no fear of truly answering for their crimes and the saddest fact of all is that vast swathes of the general Thai population (in my humble opinion) simply don't give a shit. If that's generalizing then so be it.

Tak Bai with no case for the army to answer because they were operating under difficult circumstances? Voting an advocate of the murder of innocent students to be governor of Bangkok? The list goes on.

Despite loving my life here there's a small part of me saddened by the fact that over the years people in power on all sides of the divide simply get away with murdering their fellow countrymen en masse with no fear of truly answering for their crimes and the saddest fact of all is that vast swathes of the general Thai population (in my humble opinion) simply don't give a shit. If that's generalizing then so be it.

Tak Bai with no case for the army to answer because they were operating under difficult circumstances? Voting an advocate of the murder of innocent students to be governor of Bangkok? The list goes on.

I feel the same way, it is something that I just cannot reconcile. The so-called "elites" of this country sicken me and it's amazing how far "Mai Pen Rai" can be extended by the mass populace as to include these thugs and fascists.

Edited by Hardback

Speaks volumes that Suchinda has come out in support of this government.

Speaks volume that you didn't complain when he supported Thaksin.

Also speaks volume that you don't complain now he supports Abbhisit. Why impune the morality of others when you are equally tainted?

This topic is not about Mr. Suchinda or his political activities back in the 90s.

Neither is it a topic about the Tak Bai incident

Please stay on topic

"Suchinda predicts govt's survival, warns against traitors"

Thank you.

If this topic is about Mr. Suchinda supporting the current government how is his history not relevant? Particularly as he warns against Traitors, are we reading off the same page here, the article has thrown this open, and you are trying to stiffle debate. What politically correct line would you enforce upon us then? Please advise what opinions are acceptable to you, what will be allowed and what won't, what will be cause people to be banned?

Speaks volumes that Suchinda has come out in support of this government.

Speaks volume that you didn't complain when he supported Thaksin.

Didn't I?

I was one of Thaksin's most vocal critics during his tenure so I suggest you get your facts right.

WELL SINCE YOU ARE ONLY FROM 2009-03-04 we couldn't know could we?

Oberkommando

Member No.: 78,378

Please tell us how we could know this.

What was your previous handle that left all this anti-Thaksin datum?

Or were you banned and can't say?

Suchinda speaks?

Seems we are complaining about it now. He's a nasty piece of work, no doubts, but like most PM's,

unlike Thaksin, he quietly faded away and only occasionally makes a comment like this one.

Rather Nixonian, but that doesn't erase his history, though it does allow for comparisons.

Since he has spoken for both sides, and noting the timings, he seems motivated by

something closer to stability than chaos, even if he has caused chaos on the past,

while errantly striving for stability in some form.

No defense of his history,

just an interesting observation of his few 'post governmental' comments

Edited by animatic

This topic is not about Mr. Suchinda or his political activities back in the 90s.

Please stay on topic

Thank you.

Admittedly my Tak Bai reference was off topic for which I apologize but with all due respect webfact I'm slightly confused as to the topic if it's not Suchinda. If we're restricted to an opinion on his literal words rather than the man behind the words,his past misdeeds and the connotations all these things bring together then in the future can we expect the same courtesy to be extended to Thaksin etc?

Edited by mca

Please stay on topic

Thank you.

Admittedly my Tak Bai reference was off topic for which I apologize but with all due respect webfact I'm slightly confused as to the topic if it's not Suchinda. If we're restricted to an opinion on his literal words rather than the man behind the words,his past misdeeds and the connotations all these things bring together then in the future can we expect the same courtesy to be extended to Thaksin etc?

You can not expect the same conditions to be applied to anti-Thaksin posts as are applied to pro-Thaksin posts. That was the point to Supinya's famous quote regarding the boys that Suchinda is supporting.