Sky Tv

keithkarmann

Please no sarcastic comments stating that this subject has been mentioned before,only positive comments please.

Can I bring my Sky reciever (with the card that works in the U.K.) to Thailand and get all the channels I get in the U.K.

Yes I know I will need a large dish,but is there anybody in Chiang Mai who has actually done this successfully.

Keithkarmann

Why sky you have really god TV from south Africa and more around you here in Thailand about 2400 channels.

:):D

We migrate half way around the world yet we still want what we left behind. McDonald's ,Starbucks, Christmas Pudding, Guinness, Sky and CNN. You figure. :D

Why sky you have really god TV from south Africa and more around you here in Thailand about 2400 channels.

We migrate half way around the world yet we still want what we left behind. McDonald's ,Starbucks, Christmas Pudding, Guinness, Sky and CNN. You figure. :D

Guinness is irreplaceable.

Guinness is irreplaceable.

Only from the mother land. :D

Most of us moved here for the women, not for Thai food. :D

:D:D

HERE HERE! :)

And the rest ,it seems , moved here for the men.

Sawasdee Khrup, TeeVee Friends, Ladies, Gentlemen, and Farang,

Then our esteemed human male friend, Brother UG, spake thus : "Most of us moved here for the women, not for Thai food."

Then our esteemed human ? friend, Brother/and/or/Sister Sparkles, spake thus : "And the rest, it seems, moved here for the men."

We have met several human farangs here who came to "Amazing Thailand" for "humanity" : but they were rare, and, we must admit : we were not one of them, except, perhaps, in our "rarest" moments ... moments, alas, which were, as it is said : "all too rare."

best, ~o:37;

• 3 weeks later...
I couldn't get it when I lived in southern France . . .

David

Legally, you can't get it outside the UK. (basically, you'll need a UK or Ireland mailing address for the decoder card to be sent to)

But, so long as you're not trying to use a mini-dish, you should have been able to get a signal in the south of France quite easily.

You will also need a large dish that can receive signals that are blocked by the earth..

Just being pedantic, but if you check on lyngsat, you'll find Astra is actually above the horizon from Thailand. The issue is that it's pointing it's signal the wrong way.

i.e. Assuming there isn't a piece of the satellite itself blocking the signal, you could actually get it. (but you'd probably need a dish the size of jodrell bank).

OK, first post, feel virginal, be gentle with me, here we go (I'm a very part time resident in Chiang Mai, we have a footprint there but mostly my wife uses it)

I live most of the time in Switzerland, and get all the free UK channels (BBC1-4, ITV1-4, all Channel 4 channels [including the excellent Film Four] and Five [which I've never watched, has anyone?]) first via my internet provider (which I pay for) and also free-to-air from the Astra and Hotbird satellites (which have two Thai channels which is why we have it. although one Thai channel the ISP is doing now!).

Apparently all the ISP does is pick up off the satellite and broadcast it via the Internet (20Mbit connection - VADSL). I have heard rumours that the BBC in particular is incensed that I'm watching for free without paying the license fee and wants to "narrow the footprint" so nasty Europeans can't pick it up - and then somebody points out if they do that Scotland wont pick up either. We're 500 km from London, so is Scotland, they talk about reducing signal strength to stop nasty euros - but I heard that five years ago when I bought the dish (best purchase I ever made) and it still hasn't changed.

With the switchover to digital TV apparently only 90% of the UK was covered so the answer was to broadcast all previous terrestrial channels via satellite (free-to-air, no decode needed), and offer cheap deals to people (set-top boxes and dishes) to those who couldn't get digital (remote Scottish Highlands, Birmingham , those sort of out of the way places)

But, the answer is, it boils down to - it's only Astra (footprint most of Europe) that is transmitting these channels, and you're on the wrong side of the world - the signal won't go through 12,000 kilometres of rock and molten core, no matter how big your dish is. And the cost is so astronomical (sorry, pun intended) that the UK channels will not pay to broadcast to the satellites that service the Asian market - because there is no money in it, nothing for them. Why do it? Do you shop at Tescos (aprt from Tesco Lotus that is)? Why spend a fortune in satellite fees for a small bunch of ex-pats that that don't spend money in the UK?

HtH

Glodnig Nod

Edited by nglodnig