Thai Tone Practice Text?

foolforlove

I would like to find a text -- a group of sentences or an actual paragraph-- to practice a particular Thai tone.

For example, a page of text dedicated to 'High Tone' (เสียงตรี).

The idea would be a large occurrence of the High Tone within the text....

Failing that, perhaps just a list of words that would focus on a particular Thai tone.

Sometimes in Thai it seems there are limericks or poems to work on specific pronunciation aspects... used for native speakers in pratom level.

Anyone have anything like this or another suggestion?

A while back, a valued member of this forum recommended หักอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ เล่ม ๑ - ๗

The 7 volume set (priced 50-100 baht per volume), available at most book stores. I keep the volumes spread out around the house......I use them to practice when I have a minute or two to kill.

FWIW; Thai-Language-dot-com website has this link;

http://www.thai-language.com/id/798459

It is a quiz that tests your comprehension on the tones of single syllable thai words.

Personally I can differentiate the rising/falling ones with a high degree of accuracy, but I totally suck at high/med/low toned words if I can't see the spelling and rely on pronunciation alone. :)

The books recommended are great and I have them but... The only problem with them is; if you can't differentiate the tones of a word based only on spelling, you need a native thai speaker's help to get the most out of the practice.

Colabamumbai, I liked the word/sentence pattern quiz there.... that is useful.

Kokesat, thanks for the book recommendation, I will check that out.

Todd... thanks also.

I am not interested in working on listening or spelling. Those I am fine on.

My purpose and interest is to work on pronunciation.

My plan is to find a suitable text or word list. Then have a native speaker friend record it as MP3... I can then work on my own to mimic their pronunciation.

"หักอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ เล่ม ๑ - ๗"

Sorry about the bad spelling.....it's supposed to be หัดอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ เล่ม ๑ - ๗

Anyone looking for these books should be able to find them at SE-ED. Even the small branch of SE-ED that I checked out (Rangsit) had almost a complete set of volumes One to Seven.

On the other hand, the Suksapanit I went to practically laughed as if I was asking them to get a live dinosaur out of the stockroom... he he.

That said, these books seem good for learning to read, and spell, individual words. The organization seemed to be grouped around making (all) combinations of consonants and vowels -- at least the combinations that make actual words.

Even in volume seven there did not seem to be any actual sentences.

"หักอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ เล่ม ๑ - ๗"

Sorry about the bad spelling.....it's supposed to be หัดอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ เล่ม ๑ - ๗