Korn Awarded Finance Minister Of The Year

marshbags

Korn awarded finance minister of the year, Global and Asia-Pacific

Thai Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij has been awarded "Finance Minister of the Year 2010" for both global and Asia Pacific regions by the Banker magazine of the Financial Times. Ads by Google

The London-based magazine selected the outstanding finance ministers for five regions including the Americas, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, and the Middle East.

Korn was first chosen to be the "Finance Minister of the Year" for the Asia Pacific region and was then given the global award respectively.

The magazine complimented the Thai minister on his financial management skills as he assumed the finance minister position of Thailand amid the economic stagnation. In addition, he was given credits for his contributions to promote and enhance financial and economic cooperation in Asean.

Other four finance ministers receiving the awards are Luis Carranza from Peru for Americas, Jacek Rostowski from Poland for Europe, Charles Koffi Diby from C๔te d'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast) for Africa, and Youssef Boutros-Ghali from Egypt for the Middle East.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Edited by webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Korn.

Who knows, maybe if Abhisit can hang on for a few more years, Korn for PM.

Seems to be more than a little jealousy expressed by his peers in their TV interviews commenting on the award....

Interviews where?

When you say peers, you mean Thai or international peers.

Congrats to Korn.

Seems to be more than a little jealousy expressed by his peers in their TV interviews commenting on the award....

Interviews where?

Thai politicians, interviewed on NBT

Congrats to Korn.

Interviews where?

Well I wouldn't expect anything less from such illustrious peers. Real cream of the crop that bunch.

Interviews where?

Well I wouldn't expect anything less from such illustrious peers. Real cream of the crop that bunch.

I was going to use the phrase "professional jealousy", but I deleted the word "professional" from my post, because it seemed somehow inappropriate in the context.

Pretty cool. Congrats to Kuhn Korn.

My friend's father works with Charles Koffi Diby from C๔te d'Ivoire

and he is well thought of there, so not a surprise he gets some notice.

Harder to get the job done with less to work with,

and these guys seem to make things happen.

This kind of recognition from outside Thailand.

Surely it has to have some sort of approval..but then again I will not hold my breath for those constantly in denial ???

marshbags :)

I'm not sure who's in denial here.Care to explain?

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin though there is longstanding bad blood between them predating the latter's rise to power.He is very well off through his former banking career.By background he's Chinese though of the longstanding upper class and patrician tradition rather than relatively recent arrival.He's highly educated in the elite UK manner - Winchester and Oxford but very far from snooty.Devoted to his family and patron of the Special Olympics.Internationally his perfect English and charm ensure he has unrivalled contacts by Thai standards.Can hold his own anywhere and at any level.No Banharnisms here.

All this could make him a potential object of suspicion in elite circles.Let's call them the puppet masters.Korn's no puppet nor is Abhisit in my view (a position not shared by all).Not easy for military goons to trash if this public school educated duo stray from the prescribed agenda - not that there's much evidence of that yet.

Did Jayboy just say that Thaksin was interested in fairness in Thai society? That's the funniest thing I have ever heard on this board, lol. But the sentiments about Korn's good work, I do share.

Let's check....

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin ... <snip>

Yep, he did!

I'd love to know how many other people believe that Korn is influenced by Thaksin. I doubt Korn does...

Did Jayboy just say that Thaksin was interested in fairness in Thai society? That's the funniest thing I have ever heard on this board, lol. But the sentiments about Korn's good work, I do share.

You are either easily amused or not paying sufficient attention.

Actually I didn't say Thaksin was interested in fairness (although that's implicit in his political programme).I said Korn was interested in a fairer Thai society.The influence of Thaksin is relevant because the latter politicised the Thai rural majority and began the series of populist measures continued largely by the current government.I am assuming Korn's view is that it's necessary to continue with Thaksin's programmes and reduce the grossly skewed allocation of resources to urban populations not only because that's the right thing to do but to minimise the baleful influence of Thaksin - by which I mean his overreach and undemocratic instincts.But both Thaksin and Korn are politicians and they do what they do, while not ignoring the moral impulse, to win popular support.

I'd love to know how many other people believe that Korn is influenced by Thaksin. I doubt Korn does...

All Thai politicians are hugely influenced by Thaksin just as all UK politicians are influenced by Margaret Thatcher.It's not a question of liking or not liking, or even admitting to be influenced.It's simply a fact.Some politicians completely change the landscape.Thaksin was one of these.

All Thai politicians are hugely influenced by Thaksin just as all UK politicians are influenced by Margaret Thatcher.It's not a question of liking or not liking, or even admitting to be influenced.It's simply a fact.Some politicians completely change the landscape.Thaksin was one of these.

I'm sure many Thai politicians would hugely disagree with your use of the word "hugely" Jayboy. If they were so hugely influenced they'd soon find themselves without a country.

I am not sure that you understand by "hugely influenced". It certainly does not mean to follow or try to copy. Some MPs will probably dislike him and his policies believing they are wrong and as a reult try to reverse them or work against them. Thus, their choices are influenced by him but they are far from following. I would have to say that if any MP said he is not influenced one way or another by Mr. T then they are telling pork pies or fooling themselves.

BTW congratulations to Korn.

I am not sure that you understand by "hugely influenced". It certainly does not mean to follow or try to copy. Some MPs will probably dislike him and his policies believing they are wrong and as a reult try to reverse them or work against them. Thus, their choices are influenced by him but they are far from following. I would have to say that if any MP said he is not influenced one way or another by Mr. T then they are telling pork pies or fooling themselves.

Okay, so he was "influenced by" but "far from following" Thaksin. So he did everything Thaksin didn't...?

Righto. Glad we managed to squeeze in some merit to Thaksin on this one.

Okay, so he was "influenced by" but "far from following" Thaksin. So he did everything Thaksin didn't...?

You seem to have some difficulty in grasping a simple point despite it having been explained several times.Nobody suggested Korn is "following" Thaksin (or doing the opposite as you absurdly suggest) merely that he was influenced like all other Thai politicians by the need to broaden political society (directly the result of Thaksin's involvement).It's also not a question of Thaksin making merit or gathering kudos.I also don't see the need to pay tribute to him (a thoroughly disreputable fellow) just a need for some honesty and a willingness to face facts.

This kind of recognition from outside Thailand.

Surely it has to have some sort of approval..but then again I will not hold my breath for those constantly in denial ???

marshbags :)

I'm not sure who's in denial here.Care to explain?

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin though there is longstanding bad blood between them predating the latter's rise to power.He is very well off through his former banking career.By background he's Chinese though of the longstanding upper class and patrician tradition rather than relatively recent arrival.He's highly educated in the elite UK manner - Winchester and Oxford but very far from snooty.Devoted to his family and patron of the Special Olympics.Internationally his perfect English and charm ensure he has unrivalled contacts by Thai standards.Can hold his own anywhere and at any level.No Banharnisms here.

All this could make him a potential object of suspicion in elite circles.Let's call them the puppet masters.Korn's no puppet nor is Abhisit in my view (a position not shared by all).Not easy for military goons to trash if this public school educated duo stray from the prescribed agenda - not that there's much evidence of that yet.

O.K., I,ll give you a couple of hints re the denial, relating to his well deserved, internationally recognised financial achievements in Thailand.

Those in opposition with initials PT who are constantly spouting negativs about all he does or ignoring the obvious success he has had.

The oppositions supporters who like the colour red and are well sponsored to so !!!

As for saying all Thai politicians are hugely influenced by Thaksin and go on to say just as U.K. politicians are influenced by Magaret Thatcher along with changed the landscape.

Re your off topic observation, Thailand related that is.

Since being booted out of power by her own colleagues, to this day, we are still suffering from her days as party leader and her so called influence and the negative effects she had on much of the U.K. society.

Korn has deservedly been recognised and rewarded by internationally renowned and respected institutions for his work.

How those in denial can say otherwise / deny him approval speaks volumes re their own equally renowned, selfish agendas and lack of support re the genuine interests of the country and it,s continued advancement into the 21st century.

As for their motives, and for whom they are for, we hardly need to keep going over old ground on this issue now do we.

marshbags :D

P.S.

Regarding qualifications and the respective CV one has, we of a wiser disposition know via our experiences during our lives that they do not always have an influence on the end results achivement wise.

Many in my particular field before I retired, on paper, were highly qualified but couldn,t put them to effective use and so do not always tell the story, in the actual positive use of them, as is the case in this particular instance with Korn.

He has been very positive as has been recognised.

Edited by marshbags

You seem to have some difficulty in grasping a simple point despite it having been explained several times.Nobody suggested Korn is "following" Thaksin (or doing the opposite as you absurdly suggest) merely that he was influenced like all other Thai politicians by the need to broaden political society (directly the result of Thaksin's involvement).It's also not a question of Thaksin making merit or gathering kudos.I also don't see the need to pay tribute to him (a thoroughly disreputable fellow) just a need for some honesty and a willingness to face facts.

I get ya - you're saying Thaksin "hugely influenced" Korn, which, at the very least, means that many of Korn's decisions area result of Thaksin being PM.

It's hardly far-fetched to extend that further based on your "hugely influenced" presumption and state that Korn achieving this award therefore due to Thaksin...?

Am I facing the facts as you see them now?

i was attending to a ASEAN ministers meeting that was schedule the next day and was at the meeting area to finalize some matters in the night. while attending to my work, out of the corner of my eye, i spotted a thai guy that stands more than 6'4 wearing a long track pants, sandals, baseball cap and a t-shirt. ask a thai guy beside me if that guy plays basketball for thailand coz of the height, he said that's the Thailand Finance Minister - Khun Korn. Surprised me, as often i seen ministers comes with their bodyguards or entourage everywhere they go but he was all alone and looking around to see if everything was on schedule for the next day event.

Not too sure of his political agenda or sides, but personally i find him a down-to-earth type of guy that try not to get attention when it is not required.

Anyway - congrats Khun Korn

Explorer

I get ya - you're saying Thaksin "hugely influenced" Korn, which, at the very least, means that many of Korn's decisions area result of Thaksin being PM.

It's hardly far-fetched to extend that further based on your "hugely influenced" presumption and state that Korn achieving this award therefore due to Thaksin...?

Am I facing the facts as you see them now?

I think it is a little naive to believe that the current political situation and actions of the current government aren't in any way influenced by Thaksin. I mean, to infer that very recent history doesn't have an influence on the situation today is to ignore the obvious.

Anyone can study the theories of economics, applying it in the real world for a successful outcome as a finance minister is a difficult job. One must consider the situation economically and politically in which one is working, and to infer that Thaksin doesn't have an effect on the situation in Thailand today is downright silly. Ergo, Thaksin influences Korn and Abhisits' decisions.

Since Maggie Thatcher was brought into the discussion, isn't it obvious that "Nu" Labour was born out of Thatcherism. Shame they didn't continue following Foot and Kinnock because it would have saved the UK from Gordon Broon!!

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin though there is longstanding bad blood between them predating the latter's rise to power.

I agree on the first part; absolutely a very clever smart guy and the right type of bloke to help run the country. The last thing we need are twits like Chavalit, Samak, Chalerm, Banharn, Sanoh - they are the problem, not the solution.

Good on ya Korn to be recognised worldwide for this.

No doubt he's tall;-)

With regards to the second; I personally believe Korn to be interested in unlocking the potential of rural Thailand and in assisting in developing the entire country with few left behind, as is the general concept of good governance and decent management. This is partly the reason why the popularist measures undertaken seem to be mostly sensible and sustainable.

Thaksin needed control so he could reward the TRT associated family empires (CP, Noble, L&H, Shin, Jasmine, etc), so the popularist measures tended to be sometimes (being polite) neither sensible nor sustainable, but were good vote winners and it was all done in a background of economic boomtimes having enjoyed the benefits of saving and austerity for the years prior. This was needed to get the votes and avoid censure plus avoid the asset declaration problems. End result....perhaps superficially not so different. But slightly different end purpose PERHAPS - we never will know what the mind sets of either group were.

Incidentally, since many of the giveaway type policies were in place in one way or another at various times prior to TRT, perhaps it is best to describe Thaksin's influence being the concept of actually politicising and promoting the policies heavily and making universal promises as well as acting with an urgency pre asset declaration not seen before (or since, TRT from 2004 onwards resembled the same mode of thinking as every other slow motion political deathtrap seen the world over); something that only a marketing savvy business person would get - this is perhaps the most important legacy of the TRT years - the thinking that a politician should now invest at least time in PR regarding what they do, as well as doing it. And this is the bit that I think could be argued to have changed fovever; just as Nixon's sweaty face vs. Kennedy's cool charm ushered in a change in US political debate (looks matter, substance.....ngeh), now we see Thai politicians actually changing how they win elections - the 1997 constitution as most who've read it and understand the background of it - opened up the possibility for this new style of politics with a single dominant party and Thaksin understood clearly the importance of popularity to keep the factions in check. Previously, the godfather system was the one in vogue and the factions were the strong part. Nowadays....PR and media....it matters more than the cash payments to either the factions (via giving them stuff) or the end voters....and the voters know it. That's a big change that will stay around, and may spell the beginning of the end for some of the factions....which is why a few of them have feet in both camps.

As for comparing Thatcher and Thaksin.....IMHO Thatcher started a worldwide movement of deregulation and encouraged governments the world over to consider divesting businesses that were previously state owned - telecoms, railways, airlines, post offices, power. Thaksin's legacy is the PR of politics and a way to reduce the cost of the godfather power by using PR to make the rural poor like the government directly rather than only via their local family powerhouse, profound impact on Thailand, sure, but not much worldwide. He also somehow managed to repackage the godfathers into being 'kit mai tum mai' which for me was perhaps the most impressive; after all it is very easy to look at girly berry and get aroused - they are not exactly harsh on the eyes.

Imagine how much additional effort - makeup, styling, hair, lighting and copious alchohol would be required to acheive a similar level of excitement to start casting lustful gazes at the annual reunion of Army, Navy and Police General's khunying wives trip to Hua Hin.

jeez.

It is also fair to say that some of the senior members of TRT did for the high end hotels in inner Bangkok what the Kennedies managed to acheive for the White House. Certainly, something that certain members of the Democrats (and some of the red shirt leaders, and also perhaps some of the Shin siblings) would be perhaps struggling to emulate, due to certain lifestyle choices. NTTAWWT.

Edited by steveromagnino