Roi-et To Phnom Penh

MJP

Need to renew Non-'O', going to do it at Phnom Penh. In the spirit of the recession I'm dispensing with the aeroplane rides and taking the bus.

So, Roi-Et to Aranyaprathet to Poi-Pet to Phnom Penh and a couple of days later, back again.

Anyone done this. Does the suffering outweigh the cost?

Edited by MJP

dont know-you dont precies what you mean by this assumed sufering. anyway, there may even be a shorter oute for you: check the site talesofasia.com for all Thai-Khmer border points and what transport is available. To me it seems Savannakhet in laos might be closer by and easier to reach from Surin.

dont know-you dont precies what you mean by this assumed sufering. anyway, there may even be a shorter oute for you: check the site talesofasia.com for all Thai-Khmer border points and what transport is available. To me it seems Savannakhet in laos might be closer by and easier to reach from Surin.

If the OP wants to go by bus to Phnom Phen from Roi-et thats the only route. The closet boarder crossing into Cambodia is Chong Chome at Kap Chong 60 kilo south of Surin on Highway 214. Unless you like adventure its one hel_l of a ride from there to PP (dirt). If its just boarder ruin then it is Mukdahan/Savannakhet.

Roi-Et to Bangkok

Bangkok to Trat

Trat to Hat Lek

Koh Kong to Phnom Penh.

All good roads.

p.s. What is a "closet boarder"?? Is it a public school boy with a sexuality secret?? :):D:D:D

Closest border Aranyaprathet I guess.

For the normal 3 month runs I go to Mukdahan, only a couple of hours drive away.

I make you right on that route. Road quality makes all the difference.

Roi-Et to Bangkok

Bangkok to Trat

Trat to Hat Lek

Koh Kong to Phnom Penh.

All good roads.

p.s. What is a "closet boarder"?? Is it a public school boy with a sexuality secret?? :):D:D:D

For the normal 3 month runs I go to Mukdahan, only a couple of hours drive away.

Poipet [Aranyaprathet] to Siem Reap are crap roads covered by pick-up trucks as buses or they used to be.

Roi-Et to Bangkok

Bangkok to Trat

Trat to Hat Lek

Koh Kong to Phnom Penh.

All good roads.

Poipet [Aranyaprathet] to Siem Reap are crap roads covered by pick-up trucks as buses or they used to be.

It's probably faster to take the route you mention. Soon as you hit bad roads you're doing 20 kph max, takes days.

I'm going to take the BKK, Trat, Hat Lek, Koh Kong, PP route like you say,

Cheers Briggsy!

Report back after trip complete.

One word of warning in Koh Kong, if they say there are no more buses to Phnom Penh that day, double check 'cos there is more than one bus company and each hotel/taxi driver is generally tied into one of them and wants you to go with them. Might save you a long wait in Koh Kong.

I reckon if you get a night bus from Roi Et to Bangkok, you'll be in PP before it's dark the following day.

If you get a morning bus from Roi Et, you'll have to overnight in Trat, Khlong Yai or Koh Kong.

Report back after trip complete.

One word of warning in Koh Kong, if they say there are no more buses to Phnom Penh that day, double check 'cos there is more than one bus company and each hotel/taxi driver is generally tied into one of them and wants you to go with them. Might save you a long wait in Koh Kong.

I reckon if you get a night bus from Roi Et to Bangkok, you'll be in PP before it's dark the following day.

If you get a morning bus from Roi Et, you'll have to overnight in Trat, Khlong Yai or Koh Kong.

Briggsy! I'm going for it! There's a bus to Aranyaprathet from Phon Thong (only 20 mins from my house). Going to hit Poipet, then bus to PP. Should work out cheap, cheap . . . Apparently the road from Poipet to Phnom Penh is better recently . . . shall report back in a couple of weeks.

I hate recessions.

I dunno about the recession thing MJP..... :) tis been great for me :D .

I thought youd have a problem getting out of Roi-et at the moment because the airline went broke, not because you cant afford the ticket. What are they using the airport for these days?

I dunno about the recession thing MJP..... :) tis been great for me :D .

I thought youd have a problem getting out of Roi-et at the moment because the airline went broke, not because you cant afford the ticket. What are they using the airport for these days?

Eh yo T!

Things are bad man, I mean real bad right now. Bermuda = hold, Kuwait = hold, it's like the world stopped.

No planes in and out of Roi-Et now, PB Air went bust and I've got school fees to pay!