Monthly Cost For A 4 Bed Room House

eddienlynne

hi guys

we're looking to move to the cha-am hua-hin area and have heard a lot of conflicting stories about cost of the monthly utility bills.

what is the greatest outlay?

is it electricity?

what would the average costing be for a 3/4 bedroom property?

many thanks for your time taken to respond.

eddie n lynne

Ok Eddie I will give you my costs for 3 Bed NO Air, Only fans TV Fridge Electric Shower. 6 months ago Electricity was running at about 250 to 300 Bhat month

Water about the same but used it like it was going out of fashion Garden got a good soak every night.

If you have Air Con that will put the Electicity bill up maybe double Depending how many units you have.

Hope this Helps Also Maybe your Location would help others to respond. (Sorry just noticed You have given your location)

Edited by kennkate

3 bedroom home running aircon downstairs only during the day all day and the bedroom at night (turning off the downstairs) average electric bill 4,300 thb per month

This also includes washer and dryer doing clothes a couple times a week

Other than that, the house has standard electrical draw from PC, TV, refridgerator, microwave, Lights etc only

Most Thai houses also use an electric water pump

Kitchen is all gas

I have a bill right here if anyone wants to verify it

cost of electricity per unit is same anywhere in thailand - some 5baht. Just be sure, that landlord does not put a surcharge. Also look for properties with large, but secure windows, so you don't have to spend on aircon.

having the property right close to the beach will bring breeze most of the time

monthly utility bills

Is it on a Project? do you pass Security to get to the house?

who owns the road etc? is there a communal pool?

This monthly cost can be very high.... Security + street lights + rubbish collection + road cleaning + road maintenance + tree and bush garden maintenance on the public places + Pool or any other....

Where I live we the owners, own and run all the maintenance and security ourselves, the total cost per month is 600 baht, this over the past 6 years has come down, and as of the owners meeting in December we have a balance in the pot of just under 1 million. here there are just 63 detached 3 & 4 bedroom houses, No Pool... A friend in a different area, there are over 400 3, 4 & 5 bedroom detached houses, 2x Pools, tennis courts play areas and a lot more plublic area to upkeep he pays 6,100 baht per month...

Electric this what you use + difficult to advise..... Thai friends here in the Village pay between 1,300 - 1,600 baht per month with 1x air con on all night... UK friend up the road 1km has a 2 bed old bungalow air con sometimes for a hour or so at night he never pays more than 800 baht a month.. My bill is 3,600 - 3,900 per month but that would not be normal.. I never use air con, but I have 2x extra large fridges, 1x large freezer, 3x fans on 24/7. [3 downstairs but turn 2 off at night leave one on for the dogs, but turn 2 on upstairs, wash and blow dry my 4 long haired dogs every week [so that is about 3 hours per week of a hair dryer on full], then we come to the fish in the pond and tanks so have 10 pumps running 24/7, lights in the pond and garden

Water [still FREE at moment] + Phone line rental, ADSL internet + phone + fax

cost of electricity per unit is same anywhere in thailand - some 5baht. Just be sure, that landlord does not put a surcharge. Also look for properties with large, but secure windows, so you don't have to spend on aircon.

having the property right close to the beach will bring breeze most of the time

We live approximately 1km from the sea 10km south of Hua-Hin in a large modern villa with just under 1500 square metres of land. The villa comprises of 3 large double bedded en-suite rooms, kitchen, large lounge and dining area + separate music/entertainment room with its own en-suite bathroom, which has two entrances so that it can be accessed from the pool. Separate utility and storeage rooms. The swimming pool is 15metres by 5 metres and thus consumes approximately half of normal electricity useage. We only use the aircon for about 2 hours at night before we go to bed - we fitted extra fans in all the rooms and on the north facing verandah where we spend most of our days we fitted five fans, the house itself remains relatively cool - but I intend to install fibreglass insulation above the ceilings later this year that should reduce the internal temp by some 4-5deg C .When the house was being built we opted to spend a little extra and had 'solar glass fitted' which seems to work very well in reducing the heat input to the villa. We run two 'largeish' fridges + a chest deep freezer. We have both bottled gas and electricty for cooking - which we use a lot, the gas costs next to nothing.

Taking into account what I said earlier re the pool our average electricity bill is 3400Baht - some 40% of which would be down to the pool running costs.

Water 300Baht - and I reckon that we throw about 4,000 litres of water a day on the garden, having three large lawned areas to keep watered never mind the plants. 3MB Internet costs 1100B. Dstv satellite - two systems 600Baht. So all in all roughly 5,400Baht per month. We live in gated community which is run by the residents and therefore we pay annual fees which pays for communal maintenance and security costs, but these are based on the square metreage of each house so I have not included this in the calculations. Incidentally, we are on a 3 phase electricity supply which I estimate costs about 3.9Baht per Kw hour. A friend of mine is on a 2 phase supply and pays only about 1.7Baht per Kw hour. 2 phase is more than adequate, but the development has 3 phase. I hope that this info is of some use and if I can be of any more help just PM me.

I'll give you the high extreme. We have a very large four bedroom totally western style house with eight air conditioners, two water features with three pumps, two large demand pumps for the house and garden and a rai and a half (2400 sq mt) of manicured garden and lawn.

When we first moved in I was running two or three air cons all the time and two pumps (one a 5hp centrifugal pump that powers a big waterfall) continuously, plus leaving the entire property lighted all night every night.

I got a 17,000 baht electricity bill! I then put a timer on the big pump so that it only runs the waterfall 2 hours out of every 6 and started running one of the other water features only in the evenings instead of 24 hours. I also have been trying to live with less air con and now only have one on at a time (in whatever room I'm in) and in cooler weather only run the bedroom one at night (on 27c) and just use fans otherwise. I also now only leave about one third of the yard lights on all night (very low wattage neon type bulbs). Now my electric bills range from a low of just under 7,000 in the winter to around 11,000 in the summer.

Because of the large garden my water bill ranges from 200 baht during the rainy season to over 1000 during the dry season (has to be watered every day, which also forces one of the demand pumps to be running continuously for around 5 hours using electricity).

Both water (for sure) and electricity (I think) are on a sliding scale here. The more you use, the more the cost per unit...