Buying A Car: Please Guide Me To Good Postings

as "BUYING A USED CAR" (a cheap wreck rather than a CAR, actually) is not really a new topic in here, I will not start this here again. I am sure somebody already explained everything about the procedure and which papers I have to bring in details. Can anybody give me the link to that posting please so I can read and print it.......I need all kinds of informations.......and I wonder where is the best place to buy a used car. I went to some places but I could not find any price-information when I was looking at the cars......but thats not the way I am used to do business.....yes, Thai-style business, I know.....and Farang may expect to pay an extra 100.000 Baht more than a THAI citizen.....so I left those used-car-marketplaces quickly....

Wolfie, A good idea is to buy one of the thai car magazines that has advertisments for all of the used car lots. They have thousands of cars with pictures and prices etc. This will give you a rough idea of how much you should be paying for the model you are looking for.

When dealing with the sales people you have to really barter hard. You may be surprised how much you can get off the original price.

Also in my area Carefour and Foodland have notice boards which show adds for private sales. This could save you considerably by cutting out the middle man.

Good Luck

as "BUYING A USED CAR" (a cheap wreck rather than a CAR, actually) is not really a new topic in here, I will not start this here again. I am sure somebody already explained everything about the procedure and which papers I have to bring in details. Can anybody give me the link to that posting please so I can read and print it.......I need all kinds of informations.......and I wonder where is the best place to buy a used car. I went to some places but I could not find any price-information when I was looking at the cars......but thats not the way I am used to do business.....yes, Thai-style business, I know.....and Farang may expect to pay an extra 100.000 Baht more than a THAI citizen.....so I left those used-car-marketplaces quickly....

Never had a problem getting the asking price at a used car lot. Most used dealers are selling cars for finance co. and want to sell the car on finance. Just ask for the cash price. Another way is to go directly to a finance co. and ask what they have for sale. I think your Thai may be lacking if you can't get them to quote a price so take a Thai with you. There are also web sites for private sales as well. Try www.mocyc.com for links.

COBBER, thanks, thats a good idea to buy such a magazine...will go to the next newsstand.....even I already have a "rough idea" about prices as I checked several Thai websites such as SANOOK, PANTIPMARKET, TALAROD, and so on.... there is a plethora of cars available at 50.000 - 100.000 Baht, usually 10-15 years old....

about "Bartering Hard with salespeople (or say Cheatpeople ?)" : IO am so damned tired to do that.....and nowadays easily got a temper when the next Thai person is trying to cheat me....so I better wont do that :o

AJAHNLAU, yes of course these people tell me the price when I am walking around there.....but I dont wanna ask 200 times to know the price for 200 cars....and then the price they usually mention makes me laughing out loud and leaving the scene immidiately..... :D thanks for the website anyway, this one I didnt know yet and will check it out now

PAUL, I am sure the Expatmotors-people are good and reliable, but they are so damned damned damned Expensive and there is not even one car at the website that I could afford.....as I said, I will have to buy a wreck rather than a Car

As I shall be moving over there in August, have been reading these with interest.

Yes, cars do look bloody expensive compared with the cars you can get over in the UK (I have a Ford Scorpio Ultima - fully loaded and will be lucky to get 1,500 quid for it when I sell to move).

I've had a look round some of the sites (posted elsewhere on the board) especially this one

http://www.one2car.com/

which seems to have some pretty nice off-roaders at reasonable prices (under 200,000). One of the earlier posters was talking about haggling the price down - so what price could I expect to realistically pay on a motor priced at 180,000?

Edited by Welshman

COBBER, thanks, thats a good idea to buy such a magazine...will go to the next newsstand.....even I already have a "rough idea" about prices as I checked several Thai websites such as SANOOK, PANTIPMARKET, TALAROD, and so on.... there is a plethora of cars available at 50.000 - 100.000 Baht, usually 10-15 years old....

about "Bartering Hard with salespeople (or say Cheatpeople ?)" : IO am so damned tired to do that.....and nowadays easily got a temper when the next Thai person is trying to cheat me....so I better wont do that  :o

AJAHNLAU, yes of course these people tell me the price when I am walking around there.....but I dont wanna ask 200 times to know the price for 200 cars....and then the price they usually mention makes me laughing out loud and leaving the scene immidiately..... :D  thanks for the website anyway, this one I didnt know yet and will check it out now 

PAUL, I am sure the Expatmotors-people are good and reliable, but they are so damned damned damned Expensive and there is not even one car at the website that I could afford.....as I said, I will have to buy a wreck rather than a Car

There is an obvious reason why the prices for second hand cars are higher - repairs are much cheaper than in Europe.

Petrol/Diesel is cheaper.

Service and repair is wayyyy cheaper.

Insurance in cheaper.

Annual tax is cheaper.

Depreciation is much lower.

If you buy a new or used car here, and buy the same in Europe, run it for 3 years, do the same mileage, servicing, insurance etc. It'll work out about the same csot all in.

I found HUNDREDS of offers in the price range of 60.000 - 120.000 baht already.....I went to see some of the cars already and they looked almost as new....of course the engine might have some problems after a while, so before i buy I will check the car with someone who is an expert......but if I loose 60.000 when the engine is broken, its not too much loss......and there is less danger for theft...... surprisingly the french cars such as Peugeot 405 and Renault R19 are so dead cheap EVERYWHERE, same goes for Hyundai and Daewoo. The Thais dont like those brands ? or why is that ?

On my way to work this morning (in the UK) I stopped at a garage/car sales place to get a paper. Had a quick look at the motors and they had a Vauxhall Frontera, 4 WD, 5 door with a 2.3 turbo diesel engine. It was less than 8 years old.

Inside was leather and the spec was fully loaded. Being a dealer it would have come with a 12 months warranty.

It looked immaculate (and huge).

The price ?

97,000 baht !

:o

I found HUNDREDS of offers in the price range of 60.000 - 120.000 baht already.....I went to see some of the cars already and they looked almost as new....of course the engine might have some problems after a while, so before i buy I will check the car with someone who is an expert......but if I loose 60.000 when the engine is broken, its not too much loss......and there is less danger for theft...... surprisingly the french cars such as Peugeot 405 and Renault R19 are so dead cheap EVERYWHERE, same goes for Hyundai and Daewoo. The Thais dont like those brands ? or why is that ?

These cars are difficult to find parts, the know-how to repair later and won't work well in tropical climate. The cooling system is designed for temperate climate. I know because alfa romeos, lancia, etc all faced such problem in hot climates.

yes these seem to be the reasons why these French cars are so cheap......they tend to fail in the hot climate.....and spare parts are hard to find......meanwhile, I bought those Thai language magazines (thanks for the hint) and they are great. the 2 biggest magazines come out each week and cost 60 Baht. hundreds of pages full of offers, from private owners and car dealers as well.....thousands and thousands of cars.....so, I already made up my mind.....most probably I will go for a cheap Nissan Sunny, there are plenty of them, 10-12 years old, for as low as 80.000 - 120.000 and no problems with the climate, no problems with spare parts. small engine (1300 ccm), which is okay for me, as I just need some transport to get around (4 wheeels and aircondition is all I need). and they dont need to much gasoline......

• 1 year later...

What ever you chose you should inpect it before you buy as most of the car have allot of problem.

i so in the last car show a place you shulod all vist it

www.testcar.co.th

its the only car inspection company in thailand.