Buying A Ps3 And Games In Bangkok

Tenchu

As for the regional coding, it's stupid as <deleted>. I've got some DVDs from Japan I wanted to play on my computer. The computer can play any region, but you have to change the region on it and it only plays one at a time. After changing it several times, it locks and cannot be changed any more.

Download and install AnyDVD.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question if anyone knows:

Can anyone tell me what is needed to make the PS3 play through a computer screen and where in Bangkok I should look for this hardware?

A HDMI to DVi cable. If your computer screen does not support sound you need to connect the PS3 via the "White and Black" cable to your soundsystem.

HDMI-to-DVI.jpg

I don't care about the PS3 not having burnt games and such, because if something is worth playing, it's worth paying for. I'm not the kind of person who'll buy any game just to kill time. I only buy games I really want, and so am not into cheap copies.

As for the regional coding, it's stupid as <deleted>. I've got some DVDs from Japan I wanted to play on my computer. The computer can play any region, but you have to change the region on it and it only plays one at a time. After changing it several times, it locks and cannot be changed any more. Why the <deleted> would they do that? Luckily, I can play my Japanese DVDs on my DVD player, but I'm still pretty pissed off about it. All it does is encourage the building of illegal style software to use something that was purchased perfectly legal, which is just retarded.

Agree with the PS3 - more money than time here so paying for games is not an issue, it's much more of an issue to actually find time to then play the games I bought :) I already have three unplayed games on my iPhone, though admittedly they're all not very good.

There's many ways around the DVD problem of course; I'd rip them to hard disk, I like to keep my media on HDs anyway. Many programs on all platforms can do that.

Another question if anyone knows:

Can anyone tell me what is needed to make the PS3 play through a computer screen and where in Bangkok I should look for this hardware?

A HDMI to DVi cable. If your computer screen does not support sound you need to connect the PS3 via the "White and Black" cable to your soundsystem.

HDMI-to-DVI.jpg

Okay, so the chord above goes into the screen. Where can I purchase this, do you think?

So, if my screen does not support my really shit speakers, can I buy seperate speakers stand alone that will work? Does the white and black cable come with the PS3? What kind of speakers will I need and how much do you think they'll be? (Decent quality but affordable price)

Me! Plus I work from home so travelling to silom to buy the gear and back to rama 9 where I live during their open hours = loss of money.

edit: but really, I am so lazy. The whole point of living in asia is to live like a king and have other people do boring shit for you. Isnt it? I dont cook I dont clean I dont shop I dont walk unless I choose to and most of the time I even have someone else wash me.

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 1

Okay, so the chord above goes into the screen. Where can I purchase this, do you think?

So, if my screen does not support my really shit speakers, can I buy seperate speakers stand alone that will work? Does the white and black cable come with the PS3? What kind of speakers will I need and how much do you think they'll be? (Decent quality but affordable price)

The Black and White or White and Red cable is the so called "Cinch" cable. It comes with every PS3.

Y-PM12000001976.jpg

You need a sound sytem where you can plug in the Red and White cable. The yellow one you just leave it "hanging".

The other site of the cable you plug into your PS3. The HDMI to DVI you plug in as well.

When you sart your PS3 you will see on your screen saying: A HDMI cable was found, would you like to connect via HDMI?? "something like that"

And than the PS3 asks you: Do you want to be the Audio via HDMI as well or via the Cinch?? "again. something like that"

The PS3 always show you some small pictures to all these questins so it is very easy to configure everything.

All these stuff you can easily buy at Pantip Plaza.

Regarding the Sound system you have to look around at Pantip. There are many different Systems with many different prices and quality. Just

make shore you got the ability to connect those cables. You also can buy a little compact sound system. They alwayse have those connection at back for so called AUX.

You also can connect the sound from your PS3 via the so called "Digital out Optical" cable, which i believe gives you in range from Stereo to 7.1 everything.

optical_for_ps3.jpg.jpg

ps3_backp57u.jpg

Edited by Lammbock

Thanks heaps. I understand now.

But in sound system you mean an actual sterio, don't you? I don't want to buy an actual sterio, I was hoping (and believe exists) just individual speakers that can be used. Something like this:

ps3_new2.jpg

Is anyone with any idea where I can find these sort of speakers in Bangkok? Just speakers designed for PS3 (or such useable) without any other sterio system to it.

I just received a PS3 from Canada... The cord says 110V but I read that you can plug it in here.... So far I haven't risked it because I am worried I will fry it like I did my Xbox 360. Does anyone have a console from the US or Canada, and can I plug it directly into a thai plug?

I should plug it in right away,it will make use as a nice night lamp,however only for a very short period of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any more good tips about gaming shops besides the ones at MBK or Nadz?

Both are really good places though, just like to have more shops to go to.

Someone mentioned shops in chinatown, any address or webpage?

Also, is there any shop that have lots of previously used games for sale? It was mentioned that they have such in MBK, but when I was there, I only saw one shop that sold used games and they had like 10 games ;P

And lastly, if anyone knows some good shop that will give you a fair discount if you buy a multitude of items.

Basically, if you know any good shops I'll be grateful!

PS3 is not a big seller here compared to XBOX

Copied XBOX games sell for 100 thb and there are 100s of games to chose from

For the prices of one PS3 game you could buy 45 XBOX games

Sounds good. Now, can I buy a cheap XBOX? Reliable copy would be OK.

Just a quick digression from PS3, sorry; indulge me a moment.

So I bought a PS3 today

6fl MBK shop K12

Modthanoi Game

Tell them you saw it on Thai Visa

10800b for 120g slim

+ 500 HDMI cable

+ 1500 2nd controller.

+ 1100 + 1600 2 latest games

= tot 15500

I searched around allot and 10800 was the best price I could find.

for 1000b more I could have had the 250g one but I will be popping in a 640 gig HDD in when I need it so it was not worth it.

There is many options for PS3 in Bangkok slim or fatty ( used) , 120, 160, 250 gig, Singapore or HK model, Or the Thai serviced model from the playstation shop (15500 for basic consol)

in the end I would have been happy with a used fatty 80gb but a new slim 120g was not much more.

Service is an issue in Thailand I was told

HK model needs to be serviced in HK 1-2 month minimum time

Sing = serviced in Sing 2-3 months min

Thai = Serviced in Thai but could not tell me if it was any quicker.

Used = serviced in Chaina town usually 1-2 days but you pay

new Games are never more than 2000b used games are 600-1000b and are excellent

so that was the low down

now back to GT5 prologue my GF has been hogging it for the last 3 hours racing her Mini cooper..

Cheers

Dutch

PS when Registering your new PS3 Account DONT!!! register that your living in Bangkok. used Australia or US or Europe

Or you will not be able to download online video or use the play station Home feature..

Edited by dutchweller

I love Nadz. I go there so often, they recognize me now. Overall, I've never had a problem with them.

For registering, make multiple accounts. I have a US, UK, HK, and a guest account for other family members. One question though...does anyone know if the country/region that you registered your account in affect what games you connect to for multiplayer?

For xbox 360, the new Jasper chipset is good so far. I've been playing it in Thailand for about 2 months and no problem. I do copy my games to the HDD though so it reduces the DVD drive heat. I modded it here and haven't gone on xbox live since for fear of being banned.

I love Nadz. I go there so often, they recognize me now. Overall, I've never had a problem with them.

Yes I had a good experience with them also. Went to their shop in Siam Square, they didn't have the game I was looking for, so they called up their shop in silom, which sent over the game.

Any idea if they give you a discount if you buy a lot?

One question though...does anyone know if the country/region that you registered your account in affect what games you connect to for multiplayer?

If I recall correctly, the only games that have separated multiplayer regions are games that have dedicated servers AND are released as "diffrent" games in asia/us/eu. Demon's Soul's is a good example of this. And importantly, at least for Demon's Soul's, it doesn't matter what region you registered your account on, but what matters is which version of the game you bought (jp/asian or us).

Most (I'm willing to bet 95%+) games, i.e Tekken 6, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and so on, use the same multiplayer platform/region for everyone.

I'm using a Thai username on PS3 and using the US copy of Assassin's Creed 2. I couldn't download that free DLC that comes with the game :)

Make a new account, a US one, log in to the US account, download and install the DLC, and then relogg into your Thai account.

You can now use the US DLC on your Thai account.

The same goes for every game. If you buy a game from a certain region, you need to have a account for that same region if you want to download the DLC's, patches or whatever.

But after you download the DLC/whatever and have it installed on your HDD, you can log into any account and play it.

Same goes for PSN titles, you can just make a account for the region that has the PSN game/demo, download it, and log in to your normal account to play it.

• 3 months later...

If I could briefly resurrect this very helpful topic:

I was in Panthip today, and I take it's much the same story there, namely that the consoles are grey market imports from HK.

The 120gb retailed at 11K w/o haggling. The 250gb was 12.5K or thereabouts.

As for warranty I was told that they have 1 year but that I'll have to pay Sony Thailand to fix them (which doesn't make much sense, so not sure if something was lost in translation).

I take it that I can basically forget about warranty. At 11K versus 16K for the Thai version I think I'm happy to take a chance.

Questions are:

1. The Panthip models are definitely genuine models...(I can't see how anyone could practically go about cloning the ps3 hardware)?

2. The warranty is basically useless as they are HK/China models and not Thai versions?

3. Are they likely to break...? Couldn't find much when googling...Which seems like a good sign.

Slightly OT, but also:

4. Are there any region restrictions wrt to DVD playback? I understand BR is region-locked to Asia/US but what about the DVD function? It'll play Thai (genuine) DVDs and US imports?

5. What video formats/containers can you stream over it? Eg. is it comparable to WD Live?

• 3 weeks later...

If I could briefly resurrect this very helpful topic:

I was in Panthip today, and I take it's much the same story there, namely that the consoles are grey market imports from HK.

The 120gb retailed at 11K w/o haggling. The 250gb was 12.5K or thereabouts.

As for warranty I was told that they have 1 year but that I'll have to pay Sony Thailand to fix them (which doesn't make much sense, so not sure if something was lost in translation).

I take it that I can basically forget about warranty. At 11K versus 16K for the Thai version I think I'm happy to take a chance.

Questions are:

1. The Panthip models are definitely genuine models...(I can't see how anyone could practically go about cloning the ps3 hardware)?

2. The warranty is basically useless as they are HK/China models and not Thai versions?

3. Are they likely to break...? Couldn't find much when googling...Which seems like a good sign.

Slightly OT, but also:

4. Are there any region restrictions wrt to DVD playback? I understand BR is region-locked to Asia/US but what about the DVD function? It'll play Thai (genuine) DVDs and US imports?

5. What video formats/containers can you stream over it? Eg. is it comparable to WD Live?

The PS3's at Carrefour are under 10k baht.... I remember seeing them on display along with sony bravia's 9,xxx

• 3 months later...
Yeah.

I copy most things, but my favorite series I do like to buy to support the makers. I.e. Final Fantasy, Tekken, Resident Evil; I would never buy copies because I really want the series to stay alive (I'm actually only buying a PS3 mainly because I want to play Final Fantasy 13 which is being released on March the 8th).

Thanks for the insights. I'll try and get 11,000 but not settle for more than 12,000.

Also, what region is Thailand using? I.e. if I order games online, should I be buying American copies? Or only games sold in Thailand will work. Anyone know?

There is no REGION coding for games on PS3 - any game from any country will work. The Console you will get will probably be HK or Japanese in MBK. DVD region coding will be a problem. However BLU-RAY is not an issue since Asia Blu-Ray shares the same coding as US.

Really why are the games I have stamped with the region 3 marker? Will they work in a European PS3? I was under the impression they wouldn't or is it because some of the games are using some DVD/Blu Ray Tech in them?

Yeah.

I copy most things, but my favorite series I do like to buy to support the makers. I.e. Final Fantasy, Tekken, Resident Evil; I would never buy copies because I really want the series to stay alive (I'm actually only buying a PS3 mainly because I want to play Final Fantasy 13 which is being released on March the 8th).

Thanks for the insights. I'll try and get 11,000 but not settle for more than 12,000.

Also, what region is Thailand using? I.e. if I order games online, should I be buying American copies? Or only games sold in Thailand will work. Anyone know?

There is no REGION coding for games on PS3 - any game from any country will work. The Console you will get will probably be HK or Japanese in MBK. DVD region coding will be a problem. However BLU-RAY is not an issue since Asia Blu-Ray shares the same coding as US.

Really why are the games I have stamped with the region 3 marker? Will they work in a European PS3? I was under the impression they wouldn't or is it because some of the games are using some DVD/Blu Ray Tech in them?

just get region free games... simples

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone! :)

Just reviving this thread instead of making a new one.

I am about to pull the trigger on a PS3 in Bangkok, and I am aiming on buying a modded PS3.. I dont know much about modded consoles, but I asume that they will enable me to play cheap (illegal copies) of games. Am I right?

Where should I buy my modded PS3?

All info will be much appreciated!

Edited by ricku

Hello everyone! :)

Just reviving this thread instead of making a new one.

I am about to pull the trigger on a PS3 in Bangkok, and I am aiming on buying a modded PS3.. I dont know much about modded consoles, but I asume that they will enable me to play cheap (illegal copies) of games. Am I right?

Where should I buy my modded PS3?

All info will be much appreciated!

I really have no idea why anyone would want a modded ps3. Inability to use PSN, the store, or game online is a ridiculous idea just for the sake of a couple of cheap games.... Don't soil your experience buy a bulk standard PS3, try Nadz project they are at the ITF tower in Silom 14th floor. They have a lot of stuff there including peripherals

I really have no idea why anyone would want a modded ps3. Inability to use PSN, the store, or game online is a ridiculous idea just for the sake of a couple of cheap games.... Don't soil your experience buy a bulk standard PS3, try Nadz project they are at the ITF tower in Silom 14th floor. They have a lot of stuff there including peripherals

Hmm, good points! I guess I'm gonna have to think about this.

But I really dont care much about the online gaming. There are not enough active servers / players in Thailand and the rest of this part of the world, and playing vs gamers from USA and Europe will cause lots of lag and high ping.. I tried it with World of Warcraft, and it was pretty much unplayable.

I just want good singleplayer experience and a nice bluray player for watching movies.

Edited by ricku