Is Good Rock'n'roll Dead?

toddy

I am bored of hearing that there is no good music nowadays.

I think there is a lot of what I would call future classics around - what do posters listen to / rate as good new music in good old rock'n'roll tradition?

My opinion:

Great New Bands:

Stereophonics (awesome live - loads of bluesy jamming etc)

Coldplay

Incubus

Willy Mason

The Goo Goo Dolls

Great New Songs:

'California' by Phantom Planet

'Oxygen' by Willy Mason

'Iris' by The Goo Goo Dolls

'Wish You Were Here' - Wyclef Jean's interpretation of the Pink Floyd classic

Any of U2's new stuff

Any of Motorhead's new stuff

Just a start to get the ball rolling...

when in Thailand where can one listen to new western popular music? In the west one only has to turn on the car radio to listen to recently released music...not so in Thailand, not in Suphanburi at least. There was one station broadcasting out of BKK but the music was rubbish.

How does one listen to new western popular music in Thailand?

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is at least 6 years old (it's from the City of Angels film). And the Stereophonics are quite old now.

I do like Oxygen though by Willy Mason...nice song! And California is nice (you an O.C. fan?)

But the 'hip' (and in most cases rocking) new bands at the moment (at least in the UK according to my friends) are (they all seem to start with the):

The Thrills

The Killers (quite heavy stuff)

The Libertines

The Kaiser Chiefs (I quite like them)

Kasabian (sp? Sound a bit like the Roses with Shaun Ryder on vocals)

The Scissor Sisters

The Zutons

Franz Ferdinand

Keane (similar to Coldplay)

Snow Patrol

The Hives

The Streets (English rap kind of ting)

The Strokes

The White Stripes

But the 'hip' (and in most cases rocking) new bands at the moment (at least in the UK according to my friends) are (they all seem to start with the):

The Thrills

The Libertines

The Scissor Sisters

The Zutons

Franz Ferdinand

Snow Patrol

The Hives

The Strokes

The White Stripes

Wow! I second all these recommendations.

I'd also say:

The Go! Team

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Broken Social Scene

Death Cab for Cutie

The Postal Service

The Arcade Fire

Elliott Smith (sadly, his latest was posthumously released)

Jack Johnson

Nora Jones

Ben Harper

chilled out tunes for warm evenings on the beach :o

This is a brilliant choice.

Nora Jones great composer and is constantly growing from the Jazz traditions of her birth.

Jack Johnson is a modern poet, although I do find some of his arrangements a little too simple.

Ben Harper is a revelation. A brilliant artist, mastering many traditions. He brings the integrity of Gospel to Rock.

I listen a lot to Michael Franks when I am in LOS. A little older music perhaps, but grown out of the same traditions as Nora Jones. His arrangements are refreshing in their complexity as are his lyrics in subtlety and wit.

As most of his stuff seems to have been written in the tropics, Michael Franks can create the perfect ambience for a lazy evening in LOS.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Jack Johnson

Nora Jones

Ben Harper

chilled out tunes for warm evenings on the beach :o

This is a brilliant choice.

Nora Jones great composer and is constantly growing from the Jazz traditions of her birth.

Jack Johnson is a modern poet, although I do find some of his arrangements a little too simple.

Ben Harper is a revelation. A brilliant artist, mastering many traditions. He brings the integrity of Gospel to Rock.

I listen a lot to Michael Franks when I am in LOS. A little older music perhaps, but grown out of the same traditions as Nora Jones. His arrangements are refreshing in their complexity as are his lyrics in subtlety and wit.

As most of his stuff seems to have been written in the tropics, Michael Franks can create the perfect ambience for a lazy evening in LOS.

Thomas, thanks for the info re Michael Franks - I shall look out for something of his when I am next shopping

Cheers

TP

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls is at least 6 years old (it's from the City of Angels film). And the Stereophonics are quite old now.

I do like Oxygen though by Willy Mason...nice song! And California is nice (you an O.C. fan?)

The Thrills

The Libertines

The Scissor Sisters

The Zutons

Franz Ferdinand

Snow Patrol

The Hives

The Strokes

The White Stripes

Awsome. Have to agree with most of those. The others i either havent heard or heard of. Just bought the Kasabian album last night at KSR. Keane. Great band . My friend bought it for me for my birthday.

when in Thailand where can one listen to new western popular music? In the west one only has to turn on the car radio to listen to recently released music...not so in Thailand, not in Suphanburi at least. There was one station broadcasting out of BKK but the music was rubbish.

How does one listen to new western popular music in Thailand?

Er.. any one of the thousands of internet music stations or UBC satellite (has around 5 TV stations for this and also some digital radio stations). :o

Yeah, agree with kenkannif's music, listened to the libertines earlier before went out. Ksabian a great band also, and spot on saying Ryders doing vocals, sounds so similar. Snow patrol <deleted>.cking good as well.

all D/Loaded off winmx.

Edited by bkkmadness

I saw The Killers on Saturday Night Live a few weeks back and was quite impressed.

Some recent work I've like has been by:

The Tragically Hip

Matthew Good

Big Wreck

Dave Matthews Band

Cold Play

Killing Heidi (Haven't heard them in a couple years tough)

The Barenaked Ladies

I'm just glad rock is once again having a bit of a resurgence.

cv

Tutswarrior, check out the Blues Factory in Pattaya. I spent quite a few nites there on my 1st trip to Pattaya and had a great time listening to Lam Morrison. All the good old stuff.....Clapton, Led Zep, etc....... a must stop in my opinion.

Eric

Love the lyrics to “Somebody told me”. :D

Killing Heidi (Haven't heard them in a couple years tough)

Killing Heidi are still alive and well. They released a new album late last year and performed at the tsunami benefit concert – believe they’ve got a few more concerts planned.

I’d have to say one of the best rock bands of late would have to be Melbourne band Jet…love ‘em. :o

After going through their weird phase - Achtung Baby/Zoo etc. - U2's latest stuff is awesome!

Stereophonics - probably the best UK band around at the moment...

...however, check the album "Get Born" by Jet, an Aussie band. I know it's about 18 months old now but it's just the best debut I've heard for years!

It's a mix of Floyd meets Stones meets The Who meets Sgt.Pepper with a hint of grunge...wicked! :o

Edited by Backpack_thailand