Samui Dog/cat Rescue Suggests Dumping Dog

I had a situation a few days ago where I needed to remove a dog from my area. The dog was mine; I raised it myself. She was healthy and just over a year old and had all her shots. She was good with people.

When I called the woman who runs the "rescue" center, she asked me what was wrong with the dog. I told her the above and that for personal reasons I had to give up the dog. I was told that the center only took in sick or injured dogs and that they could not take it -- the only thing they could do was spay the animal and return it (she had already been spayed).

What, I asked somewhat perplexed, was I to do. The woman said I should take the dog and leave it at a temple.

I said I didn't want to just dump the dog, but she was insistent that that was what I should do and that she could not take the dog.

I would like to say here that I was absolutely amazed. It never occurred to me that the dog and cat "rescue" center would not take a dog because it was healthy and there was nothing wrong with it. This reasoning seems absurd to me. So, for them to be interested in "rescuing" this dog, I would have to injure it or make it sick before they would help.

I had always thought that the "rescue" center would help people out in this regard (and would also come and pick up strays that might be aggressive) but clearly I was wrong.

Be advised.

Have you been to the Dog Rescue - When I last went it was very distressing , many dogs extreemly unhealthy and near death , many dogs in pain from accidents - I imagine they are really doing their best with the little funds they have to help ill and injured dogs recover and have some kind of life -

It was your dog - so in my opinion you should take the responsibility to find a home

Giving to a temple as a last resort was a good suggestion if you could not find any other solution .

Have you been to the Dog Rescue - When I last went it was very distressing , many dogs extreemly unhealthy and near death , many dogs in pain from accidents - I imagine they are really doing their best with the little funds they have to help ill and injured dogs recover and have some kind of life -

It was your dog - so in my opinion you should take the responsibility to find a home

Giving to a temple as a last resort was a good suggestion if you could not find any other solution .

Last time I went, I also found it very distressing. I donated as much as I had in my pocket. There and then. Did you offer to make a donation.? Probably not. They have to make terrible decisions with the limited funds they have. Whether to take in a healthy or distressed animal. It's your dog. Take care of it. Remember. A dog is not just for lunch. It's for life. You think you can simply off load your responsibility just like that? You should be ashamed of yourself :)

i am really glad that others have posted what i have been saying for years about these animal lovers who come to island, with no idea how long they will be in thailand or with out a real home for themselves and then get a pet!? I have asked many of them, so what will you do when you return home? 98% always say, i will take them with me. ya right:/ the animales always typically end up stray and distressed but hey at leats they were loved by the animal lover for a few months. The OP should have taken the animales life span into consideration before even thinking about having a pet.

Agree with the posters above who remind you that if you raised the dog, you have a responsibility to continue caring for it.

Would you have the same attitude for a child of yours who suddenly became too much of a problem to take care of ??

Actually, many temples do an excellent job of taking care of stray dogs and some are even supported by charities and public donations here. Before you criticise their efforts, maybe you should go and take a look so that you know what you are talking about, before you start bemoaning the 'absurdity' of someone's obviously well-intentioned advice.

Agree with all of the above 100%, you won't find a great deal of sympathy here for your situation, take reasponsibility yourself.

You sound like a very caring person of sorts, otherwise you would not have contacted Dog Rescue in the first place, but with the very little resources that they have, they just cant take on every animal that their owner wishes to abandon. You do need to take on the responsibility yourself and find a home for your dog. Good Luck.

Tell Dog Rescue that you will make a substantial donation if they will take your dog. How much to clear your conscience? If it is enough to get DR to agree, then you're all set. People go there looking to adopt dogs and if your isn't as messed up as the others, maybe the pooch won't have to stay there long.

Anyone remember the thread about the dog in KPG that needed a new home, a new home was found here on Thaivisa. Why not post a few pics and a little about him, maybe someone here will take him off yer hands...........

Any news on the dog that was adopted?

Anyone remember the thread about the dog in KPG that needed a new home, a new home was found here on Thaivisa. Why not post a few pics and a little about him, maybe someone here will take him off yer hands...........

Isn't that the one who found a willing taker here on Samui after repeated attempts to abandon it on KPG failed? In any case, it's a great idea. I mean posting pics here, not the abandoning part.

Tracer Round

Suggest you go to the Dog Rescue and see what they are up against. Many of the animals are really 'no hopers' and at the end of the line.

You seem upset that your responsibilities cannot be taken care of by a telephone call.

As you indicate, your dog is fit and healthy. The Rescue centre is not a dumping ground for healthy animals when they have become an inconvenience. Try to spend a little time trying to rehome the poor creature rather than bad mouthing the Rescue centre.

I agree with the other posters.Your action is shameful, you are betraying the dogs trust in you, but perhaps with your attitude it might have a better life in the temple.

Would you expect to sleep in A&E at your local hospital if your parents kicked you out? It's a rescue center not the local social services. Temple seems like a fair suggestion in the absence of anything else, it's not like there is a social class of dogs whereby healthy dogs jump to front of the VIP housing list.

Edited by mattcodes

Tracer Round

Suggest you go to the Dog Rescue and see what they are up against. Many of the animals are really 'no hopers' and at the end of the line.

You seem upset that your responsibilities cannot be taken care of by a telephone call.

As you indicate, your dog is fit and healthy. The Rescue centre is not a dumping ground for healthy animals when they have become an inconvenience. Try to spend a little time trying to rehome the poor creature rather than bad mouthing the Rescue centre.

I agree with the other posters.Your action is shameful, you are betraying the dogs trust in you, but perhaps with your attitude it might have a better life in the temple.

Agree 100%. OP should be ashamed on two counts - for abandoning his own pet! :) and for disparaging the Rescue Centre who do great work in extremely difficult circumstances.

The one time I needed their help with an injured dog we found, they were totally dismissive and told us to take it to a vet. Not impressed. Sorry.

I have heard good and bad reports with regards to Samui Animal Rescue, but on balance, I would certainly bet that they certainly do more good than bad. Sorry to hear about your bad experience though.

The one time I needed their help with an injured dog we found, they were totally dismissive and told us to take it to a vet. Not impressed. Sorry.

So you found an injured dog? Very good. You took it to the rescue centre for them to fix and pay for???? Did you offer a donation. NO! And you expect for them to pay??????????? You people should get our more. Pay yourself if you are such an animal lover and stop bad mouthing a centre that does all it can with very limited resources. :)

So you found an injured dog? Very good. You took it to the rescue centre for them to fix and pay for???? Did you offer a donation. NO! And you expect for them to pay??????????? You people should get our more. Pay yourself if you are such an animal lover and stop bad mouthing a centre that does all it can with very limited resources. :)

Very true .. they certainly do the best they can with the very limited resources they have.

Not quite right. We phoned them and asked if they could help. This was a Saturday night and their only answer was take the dog to the Vet on Monday. Did I say I expected them to pay or was not willing to make a donation? I am simply commenting on a response I had from them when we found a dog in distress which I found less than helpful. Because they are doing a good job does not make them immune to criticism in the same way you are entitled to criticise me for my comments.

Above mentioned dog is loved and cared for in the home he had obtained thanks to Thaivisa.

Well I am pleased so many people have stood up for the Dog & Cat Rescue Centre!

There is a "topic" about it on this forum.

As many posters have pointed out, they do a wonderful job there, with money only coming from donations...& from that, the full time very good Vet & staff are all paid.

A new surgery has recently be constructed.

When I last was there about a month ago, I asked the vet how many dogs & cats, there were... At that time 350 dogs & about 45 cats :) Just imagine just the food bill on that alone... & they are fed bagged dog food, not scraps.

All the animals need adopting... many of the dogs & cats are good condition... & certainly deserve a better life...

What would also help, for those you cannot commit to keeping an animal, because of length of stay here, is to head out to Thaling Gnam & just play with the dogs & or cats... After my last post on the topic, people are now doing that.... but more volunteers are needed!

I think most people would be surprised considering the circumstances of lack of funds, how well the Centre is run & how clean & well organized it is...

There is a second centre somewhere in Chawang too... I don't know how many animals there are there... but I know any donations or help would be appreciated to keep both centres going.

His name was Lucky, i think.