Cat Cdma Cable Connections

blackcountryboing

I have recently had the cat cdma with external antenna installed at my home. I am about 12 KM from the nearest antenna and need this to get the best signal.

Having read through the topics on here about the cables and connections I am sure I have the typical wrong installation. I know for sure the cable adapter does not fit correctly into the MC760 USB dongle. I will take a guess and say that some of my cable is 75ohm and they have bodged a separate joint of cable to make up the distance using sat tv type connections.

I am currently out of the country and would like to purchase the correct cable and connections before I head back to Thailand.

I have found this on ebay for the correct connection to the MC760 (the correct fit)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This would mean I would need to purchase the following also (adapter between usb flex and main cable)

And use this cable to connect to the Yagi antenna: (75ft lmr400 50 ohm cable)

However I would like to confirm the type of connection on the Yagi antenna?

Can someone please confirm the connection type on the external antenna..

Much appreciated.

BCB

MC760 connector looks correct. I am not sure that you need the other adapter (female-female) but cheap and would not hurt to have just-in-case. The coax cable is very standard and readily available in Thailand. I would not drag the 75-ft version over here, heavy and perhaps just a bit pricey compared to what you can get at Amorn or just about any TV supply shop. CAT used to sell the Yagi antenna plus a very long cable for a reasonable price (think it was 2000 baht) but not sure what is current situation. The Yagi used should be tuned to the CAT CDMA frequency, and they are either supplied with a cable connector or can be readily added on.

If you are going to use 75 feet of coax there will not be much of a signal left for , you are going to have a grate Los in the cable

This are very High frequency and at 900 MHz so you will need a Heliax solid Coax at 50 ohms about 30 feet 3000 baht

Edited by SM7WGP

Thanks for the information.

You need to female to female connection to go between the end of the short flex off the usb to the long RF cable end.

The idea of buying the good cable is to reduce the loss, I work in communciations so I know all about this just need to conform the type of connection on the antenna.

Is this a N type connection????

Thanks for the information.

You need to female to female connection to go between the end of the short flex off the usb to the long RF cable end.

The idea of buying the good cable is to reduce the loss, I work in communciations so I know all about this just need to conform the type of connection on the antenna.

Is this a N type connection????

Hi, I am using a MC727 and this is my set up......

DSC06973.jpg

A , is to the MC727

B, is the inline connector

C , is to coaxil cable for the external roof antenna

Below the external antenna coaxial connector..

DSC06977.jpg

DSC06975.jpg

Below The inline connector.....

DSC06974.jpg

DSC06976.jpg

Below the connector on the small lead that plugs into the MC727..

DSC06979.jpg

DSC06980.jpg

Below the MC727 with the small lead connected to the external roof antenna..

msg-39494-1230778779_thumb.jpg

I bought the external roof antenna from CAT cost around 2,000 Baht , it came with a coaxila cable included that was 75 Ohm , I replaced the coaxial cable with some 50 Ohm cable from a local radio shop

Below shot of the coaxial cable ..

DSC06982.jpg

DSC06983.jpg

I made the coaxial cable length the shortest possible from the external roof antenna to the MC727,

the inline connector I bought on line from a UK supplier

Below This is a shot of the CAT external roof antenna ( Top ) the bottom one is Dtac..

skitched-494.jpg

Below is a shot of the CAT supplied external antenna and coaxial cable ..

Picture7-2.png

Not sure if any of this helps, ?

TL

Thanks for the detailed reply ThaiLife. Thats great mate.

It looks like the connection on the antenna is a TNC connection. I was thinking it might have been a N type.

TNC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNC_connector

N type http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_connector

Much appreciated, hopefully other people can pick up on this information and help them, possibly avoid having 75ohm RF cable fitted in the first place.

Just need to source my order now, probally best to buy the cable and head it up myself to avoid excess loss.

Cheers for the help.

MC760 connector looks correct. I am not sure that you need the other adapter (female-female) but cheap and would not hurt to have just-in-case. The coax cable is very standard and readily available in Thailand. I would not drag the 75-ft version over here, heavy and perhaps just a bit pricey compared to what you can get at Amorn or just about any TV supply shop. CAT used to sell the Yagi antenna plus a very long cable for a reasonable price (think it was 2000 baht) but not sure what is current situation. The Yagi used should be tuned to the CAT CDMA frequency, and they are either supplied with a cable connector or can be readily added on.

Can you give me any info on where to buy a good quality cable connector (Coax to MC727) in Thailand?

• 5 months later...