What Penilties For Bringing Excessive Alcohol Into Country

Starlifter

Not admitting to being a lush but I wish to bring a couple two or three bottles of alcohol (above the 1 liter limit) into country during my next trip. I understand I can purchase at duty free however, I want to bring certain top shelf brands not available at these locations. I have done this in the past without considering the consequences but after reading some posts on this site makes me wonder if this would be a "hammer" issue with customs. Anyone had experience with this?

Edited by Starlifter

Big fine and a big inconvenience to you if you get stopped at customs.....in the region of 30,000 baht i think.

nadtatida1! am i wright in thinking that you live in aranyarpratet? i have been to poi-pet(cambodian border) many times and heard many a story about police and immigration extorting huge somes of money out people that are coming back into thailand, and are maybe only 1 0r 2 bottles/cartons over the limit allowed.

any truths to these stories?

Edited by tigerfish

Big fine and a big inconvenience to you if you get stopped at customs.....in the region of 30,000 baht i think.

nadtatida1! am i wright in thinking that you live in aranyarpratet? i have been to poi-pet(cambodian border) many times and heard many a story about police and immigration extorting huge somes of money out people that are coming back into thailand, and are maybe only 1 0r 2 bottles/cartons over the limit allowed.

*Removed by moderator - Illegal activities like smuggling cannot be posted here*

A lot of people are quite wary of the poi pet border but like anything the more you do it/go their the easier and less daunting it gets,but you do have to keep your wits about you at all times.I also have been robbed there by a gang of kids(very clever).

On the innitial topic a mate of mine landed at BKK with 5 sleeves on him and his pal had 5 sleeves also, they got stopped told how much they had to pay,which i think was around 30,000 bt but also they had to get a taxi to the police station in the city to pay the fine?? and pay for the taxi which really upset him! and they never got to keep the cigs. :)

Edited by cdnvic
removed content in violation of forum rules

I have developed the perfect method for bringing over the allowed limits of alcohol into Thailand.

First I swallow it, then once I arrive in Thailand, pass it out into containers.

Never fails.

I myself once used this method to smuggle booze onto a Saudia flight at LHR once, it was an interesting little vintage, with a very familiar bouquet and excellent colour ! :)

The penalty on cigarettes is indeed 10 times the tax which would have been due. I have heard this figure bandied around for alcohol but I have seen nothing on paper. What begs the question is exactly what taxes would be payable were someone to declare the items. Without customs ripping you off, I would have thought the tax was a few hundred on a bottle but whether you could pay just that I do not know.

The penalty on cigarettes is indeed 10 times the tax which would have been due. I have heard this figure bandied around for alcohol but I have seen nothing on paper. What begs the question is exactly what taxes would be payable were someone to declare the items. Without customs ripping you off, I would have thought the tax was a few hundred on a bottle but whether you could pay just that I do not know.

I assume your talking about a few hundred Baht :)

Oh well I may just leave the Patron Tequila at Home.

I assume your talking about a few hundred Baht :)

Oh well I may just leave the Patron Tequila at Home.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same question. What are the taxes or costs going through the red line if you ARE "HONEST" and do declare 3 or four bottles?

About buying at duty free. I own a restaurant and can buy premium alcohol much cheaper. I can buy for instance, Johnny Walker Blue for far less than the shops sell it there (plus I know it is genuine). I would like to bring 3 or 4 bottles of that as gifts and and personal consumption. I have no problem declaring them but would like to know actual costs of declaring. Any serious knowledge from anyone?

I had the same question. What are the taxes or costs going through the red line if you ARE "HONEST" and do declare 3 or four bottles?

You don't have the option in Thailand to bring in more than your duty free allowance and just pay the extra tax. If you declare your excess they will just be confiscated.

Sophon

In my experience it is purely a matter of who you strike at customs(or where you are passing thru customs)

Chiang Mai is stricter that Bangkok simply because the guys are sitting around doing SFA most of the time and when an international flight comes in they pounce.

I have never been fined and never had anything confiscated, BUT, I have on occasion had to pay duty.

Edited by john b good

• 2 weeks later...
I was planning to bring to 2 carton box contaning total of 20 packs of my favourite brand, since they are probally totally different in thailand. Am I risking being fined for this?? I am leaving in 2 days.

Yes,you are over the allowed limit.

An English friend of mine was sold several cartons of ciggies in aranyarpratet (He does not smoke, but his g/f does). The bus was stopped at a checkpoint and they went straight to him. He was carted off and made to pay 40,000 Baht. Either that amount or be held in custody. They took him and his ATM to the nearest bank.

Be careful about being over the limit!

Do NOT attempt to smuggle anything in the way of booze or fags from Poipet.

Thai Police and Customs have cockatoos all around the vendors and will grass you in a heart beat.

They work on commission. Even the vendors will grass on you after selling to you.

1 bottle & 1 carton and that's it!