Crackdown On Alcohol Sales Violations In Phuket

george

Crackdown on alcohol sales violations in Phuket

phuket-The-Phuket-Public-Health-Office-will-crackdown-on-sale-of-alcohol-on-religious-holidays-the-next-of-which-is-Makha-Bucha-Day-on-February-28-File-photo-from-Mongkol-Nimit-Temple-in-Phuket-Town-1.jpg

The Phuket Public Health Office will crackdown on the sale of

alcohol on religious holidays, the next of which is Makha Bucha

Day on February 28. File photo from Mongkol Nimit Temple in Phuket Town.

PHUKET: -- Phuket health authorities are launching a fresh crackdown on violators of Thai alcohol sales regulations.

The 2008 Alcohol Control Act states that alcohol products cannot be sold at places of worship, health centers and hospitals, government offices, educational institutions, gas stations and public parks.

For our previous report, click here.

Director of the Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) Dr Pongsawas Ratanasang said his office will now start to enforce the regulations more strictly.

Violators can be fined up to 10,000 baht and/or receive a jail sentence of up to six months.

The PPHO will also step up enforcement of regulations banning the sale of alcohol on religious holidays and the controversial time restrictions on alcohol sales.

Except for bulk purchases, alcohol products can only be sold between 11am and 2pm and between 5pm and midnight.

Violators of the time restriction regulations face fines of up to 4,000 baht and/or a maximum of two years in jail.

Those found selling alcohol to people under 20 years old face fines of up to 20,000 baht and/or up to one year in jail.

The same punishments apply to those charged with drink-related public disorder offenses.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

A crackdown is only working when you crack down on a daily basis to each and everyone violating the law. I suppose that half the bars in Phuket have to disappear because they are too close to a temple or school. Still those regulations are not enforced and thus will view the general public the Thai police as crooked.

Their arbitrary actions, which are fueled by the fact that there is a new commander in charge who want to show off that he can crack down or because of an incident that just happened involving alcohol makes this actions outright silly.

Next week there will be an crackdown of pirated goods (only on the vendors not controlled by the people who crack down on it) and next week on the use of helmets by motorcyclists in the provinces, but in a matter of fact nothing ever chances. Just hold your breath for 3 weeks and everything will be as before.

crackdown should be on all violations, not just from time to time, during holidays.

the purpose of this law was to prevent youth from drinking

I love this country,but what are they thinking,"Crack Down On Alcohol Sales Violations"..How about these homemade bars that are all over Sukhumvit Road when the ligitimate bars close,do you know that the creeps that drink at these places actually are asked for a bar fine when they cuddle -up with one of those wee hour lovelies..I would have to think that these crummy establishments are perhaps in violation of alcohol sales,considering they have no license to sell alcohol.I'm sure there are some health violations as well,the customers just urinate in the street. Not a pretty sight for what is supposed to be a world class city.......but for some reason they go along every night without any interference...ummmmmm..My lord how is that possible :)

This country has a very serious problem. Nobody respects any laws anymore, unless there's a crackdown.

The serious problems lies in the fact that men in uniform a a plague that you can compare with grasshoppers. Their actions are not structured and they strike at random. Your neighbor get slapped with a fine, your other neighbor is not affected because they know someone who knows someone who knows another person in the department.

If laws are not equally enforced on everybody the same way, people just give the finger. Any police state, from China to Burma, and from Iran to Thailand do have the same problem. When men in uniform become more important than doctors, teachers or street sweepers you know that you have created an intolerable mess.

I saw those times were listed in 7-11 stores, but are there time restrictions for all places on all days?

I heard it was 2am, and most bars close then, but is there a law to close earlier that the people just bribe their way around?

This country has a very serious problem. Nobody respects any laws anymore, unless there's a crackdown.

Do you mean that someone RESPECT at least these crackdowns??

C'mon, pal..... Are you serious....? Not on this country, nor at this time and not with this government - where a [small|medium|big] almost-official tip makes you fly above the law. Everybody knows, everybody uses, noone cares. :)

PS: even these PRE-notices of the crackdowns - making these crackdowns meaningless, as those are already informed in advance and will not sell alcohol HERE and NOW, but THERE and TOMORROW - and everything will be as usual.

2 Years jail for selling a beer before 11 am, waw that's serious, welcome to Thailand again

Here in Chiang Mai among other statements from the MIB we were told that bars next to temples would not have their leases renewed as customers from those bars pee on the temples.

How ridiculous. A law that was introduced by a convicted criminal and former Prime 'Monster', trying to appear addressing a problem, to stop "school kids" from buying alcohol by restricting sales between certain hours... Terrific for the main income suppliers - tourism - you think kids spend more on booze? With restricted hours, even better for local manufacturers of the beverages - they love you (not). About time you stop wasting energy and effort on minor issues and address your real issues of government (lack there of) and corruption which is completely out of control.

Get a life Thailand. You are really backward in coming forward. And by the way - I can buy booze anytime at the places I go to so again, your laws are ineffectual. Talk about buffalos ... :)

temple party season is starting. Last year I saw crowds of hundreds young people attacking each other with ironbars knifes and a lot of broken beerbottles in Chalong Temple. This year no alcohol will be sold there I guess (like in Rawai Temple some days ago) But everybody can buy it directly in front of the door, bring it in, or get drunk before.

The problem is not the alcohol, its the Thaistudents education. It is very common that students fight with each other, just because its another school.

Has nothing to do with alcohol! Maybe its a good idea ThaiParents start raising their childs by their own and dont leave it always to the grandparents or

other people.

The law is just stupid, Thais should try to educate their people better, but be honest, WHO t.f. needs a clever population in Thailand? :)

The law should be enforced as it was written (or intended). Write laws that can and will be enforced, and only those that will be enforced - to do otherwise opens up the system to corruption.

the time restrictions on alcohol sales is NOT A LAW and cannot be enforced .... it is Thaksin Governernment which passed a bill which had NOT BEEN ENDORSED as a law and then asked from cooperation from the companies such as seven eleven and carrefour/tesco/bigc to fight the rampant alcohol abuse..... but technically no one can fine you or take you to jail for buying and drinking between 12:00-11:00 and 14:00-17:00 .... the hypocrisy in this is also that you can buy bulk but not just 1 bottle .....

A law that was introduced by a convicted criminal and former Prime 'Monster', trying to appear addressing a problem, to stop "school kids" from buying alcohol by restricting sales between certain hours...

Actually the law was passed in 1972 (!), by "The Revolutionary Council" to prevent disorder during one of the many coups in Thailand. The law was never repealed, but was generally ignored until the Thaksin government found it was still on the books and thought it was a good idea (why, I just don't know - probably to increase the flow of "tea money"). It was a stupid law then, and now, and certainly won't stop young people from drinking.

crackdown should be on all violations, not just from time to time, during holidays.

Youth drinking is the responsibility of the parents not the government.Sure government has introduced laws so minors can not purchase alcohol, but is the parents who should be watching their kids especially on holidays

WHAT ?!! Perhaps the rest of the world should follow Thailand's fantastic ideas. Ban alcohol over Christmas time, Easter, etc., how many "farangs" would accept that from their respective governments?

I feel so sorry for the "Khon Thai" that they have such an idiotic bunch of w....rs in government.

:)

According to an Andrew Biggs article in the Bangkok Post last month it is NOT illegal to sell booze at the restricted times 2-5 PM etc. It is only a gvnt request and not law. Thousands of small shops ignore the request, quite rightly but my local which will sell day and night does not do so on elections days when it is illegal. Also I regularly go to Wat concerts and there the law against booze sales is never followed, nor is selling of fake goods.

Of course it is the responsibility of both government and parents. Why only a or b? Also the responsibility of peers, teachers, and many others. We do live in a society, do we not, where we cooperate to maintain desired social behaviors...

Youth drinking is the responsibility of the parents not the government.Sure government has introduced laws so minors can not purchase alcohol, but is the parents who should be watching their kids especially on holidays

Of course it is the responsibility of both government and parents. Why only a or b? Also the responsibility of peers, teachers, and many others. We do live in a society, do we not, where we cooperate to maintain desired social behaviors...

I was going thru crackdown withdrawals this weekend. Soooo happy to see we are starting the week with another crackdown fix.

448 viewers. I'm glad I'm not alone in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Let Thais play with their laws. If they became a "serious" country (like the UK or USA), perhaps we wouldn't find it so appealing any more.

Are you serious about the AA meetings? I was wondering if there were any in English in this country