Which Nation Closes For Holidays The Most?

SantiSuk

I see that America is closed for Martin Luther King Jr day today (sic - only the Americans seem to assume there is doubt about paternal responsibility for the birth process)

Thailand has about 40 religious days, but as far as I can tell business continues throughout, except for Songkran and New Year.

Fess up people - is your country the idle capital of the world? Mine - the UK - is notably parsimonious, having about 9 public holidays a year

I don't think many of the bar owners would agree with you that Thailand continues throughout.

Actually I was thinking about banks and the Stock Market but each to his own I guess.

israel- evening of and day of rosh hashana, evening of and day of yom kippur; 8 days for succot, 9 days for passover; independance day; shavuot (2 days) ; and at least 20 more days that schools are closed and businesses close early for religious or national holidays. some days schools are closed for religious holidays but for the adults, religious folks can take the day off w/o getting fined, and others can work, and if u work for a particularly religious employer, then u have to take off even if u dont want to since he/she closes the business... its enough to drive most outsiders nuts. (and the thais keep working but it drives my husband nuts trying to keep track of when he has off, and when things stop working like busses and stores...) so yes, we beat most european countries and thailand. (forgot that for the muslems they have a lot of days, plus our national days-- the christians have their days.... the list go on and on)...

bina

israel

and most thai holidays do not involve fasting or non eating of certain foods or days of penance in houses of worship...

Australia must definitely have the most!!I mean people they even have a day off for Queen Elizabeths birthday, even the english dont do that :D If there are 2 public hols in 1 week, then you can guarantee at least half your workforce will take the whole week off, either as extra days or sickies :D ,and god forbid that the public holiday falls on a weekend that means another weekday off in lieu :) then of course if the bronco,s or the lions are playing at home midweek or their is a good cricke match , then there is a good chance the union will call a snap 24 hour strike :D then of course there is the M and F factor (monday and friday) considered as optional work attendance days,if the whiting are on the nibble in the pumice stone passage or the yellowfin are off stradbroke , or :D its melbourne cup week,this is not a whinge against australian workers as such!! just a few of my own experiences as an immigrant trying to run a firm with 40 employees in Australia :D