Retirement Visa

if you retire in Thailand,you are not allowed to work

yep...i am aware of this..thanks. my wife is thai and has a good job...she wants to keep working........wondering about her salary and my pension combined to make the required monthly amount...if so i can leave some investments o/seas alone.. :o

Edited by aussman

My 2 satang worth,

I would think since the funds to support your extension application have to originate from overseas your wifes income would not be taken into account.

Why are you not on 1 year extensions based on supporting your wife? Only 400k baht required then.

Your best bet might be to have a word with Immigration see what they have to say...........

Immigration in Nong Khai said, if it is a joint account, it must be double or 1,600,000, for retirement visa.

I think that is for two aliens applying for two extensions.

One alien and one thai couple only need 800k even with a joint account.

Hi aussman, you have to show the first time either 800k (on retirement visa) or 400k (on supporting thai wife visa) coming from abroad.

You can then live most of the year on your wifes money, and just top the amount next year back to the requested amount.

but make the amount you have been using believable to immi!

I guess, 150 to 200k should be acceptable.

Immigration in Nong Khai said, if it is a joint account, it must be double or 1,600,000, for retirement visa.

I think that is for two aliens applying for two extensions.

One alien and one thai couple only need 800k even with a joint account.

Thai and farang. 400,000 :o

Doc,

We are talking about retirement visa

Thetyim,

I have no idea what the law is. I only know in Nong Khai, I was told my 1,300,000 baht was not enough for a retirement visa, because it was a joint account with my wife. I was told to add 300,000 baht to the account and I could have the retirement visa.

Thetyim,

The wife is Thai. This being Thailand, you know I cant go back to Nong Khai immigration and tell them they are wrong. Also, if I were to go to another immigration office, Im sure they would ask why Im there and not at my local immigration office.

Where did you get your information that the bank account can be a joint account, which is contrary to what immigration told me?

Thetyim,

I have no idea what the law is. I only know in Nong Khai, I was told my 1,300,000 baht was not enough for a retirement visa, because it was a joint account with my wife. I was told to add 300,000 baht to the account and I could have the retirement visa.

See extract below from Ministry of Foreign affairs website.......only 800k baht needed only way 1,600,000 would be needed if your wifes was NOT a Thai citizen.

Also you do know that you only need 400k baht in the bank if you were to apply for 1 year extensions based upon supporting a Thai spouse dont you? (Marriage has to be official though)

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

if you retire in Thailand,you are not allowed to work

You are not allowed to work in Thailand. You may, however, earn money outside of the Kingdom are take respite there at your leisure. You may hold a multiple re-entry visa whilst a non immi OA and exit to earn and return for retirement! Benefits....Sure , extended stay, Bank Acct, Drivers lic, local health, property issues, ( especially if you hold a US passport). etc

Thetyim,

See extract below from Ministry of Foreign affairs website.......only 800k baht needed only way 1,600,000 would be needed if your wifes was NOT a Thai citizen.

Also you do know that you only need 400k baht in the bank if you were to apply for 1 year extensions based upon supporting a Thai spouse dont you? (Marriage has to be official though)

An interesting thread, I joined in because of the wording Retirement Visa, hoping I would actually see one, but it appears that we are really talking about the Annual Visa.

I process through Nong Kia as well, I fought them on the 65K or 800K in the bank a few years back had the 65K didn't have the 800K. I won and had to prove I put 65 K in a Thia bank each month from a foriegn source. One person insisted that I had to have both. This year I will file under the marriage visa and have the 400K. So it will be a different approach for me this time.

From talking to other people this year two new requirements came up, one a physivcal required, not much more then you do for a drivers license. But it has to be from a approaved source, locally that would be AEK Udon, there may be others but that is the one I know about. Secondly guys who have worked off joint accounts for years here, have had to go set up a seperate individual account in thie names only. With a specific bank recommeneded by one individual. I have been told that a new Officer is in charge of Nong Kia. Please understand that everything about the changes are based on hearsay and not personal experience, so how accurate they are I can't tell you. However I hould be able to next week as I'm doing the annual renewal sometime next week.

As a gentle hint for another avenue to try. Immigartions is schedelued into Udon on Mondays, Wenesdays and Fridays. You might want to try Nong Kia on those days, a a lot of the staff will be in Udon on those days. Sort of what attornies do when they go judge shopping.

I can tell you that I have seen different approaches to this by different staff members, personally.

I stopped by and asked about the physical and was told it was not needed. So I will try it, but I would not be surprised if I have to do it. Haven't approached the bank problem yet, so I will drop a short line when I have completed everything and let you know how things went.

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

An interesting thread, I joined in because of the wording Retirement Visa, hoping I would actually see one, but it appears that we are really talking about the Annual Visa.

As you correctly point out there is no such thing as a "retirement" visa what we are talking about are extensions of stay stamps...........it just makes it easier explaining using the term "retirement" visa as thats what most people understand.

Thetyim,

The wife is Thai. This being Thailand, you know I cant go back to Nong Khai immigration and tell them they are wrong.

Take your wife with you and go back to question the decision,

asking to speak to the more senior officer, if necessary.

Be polite but firm about it.

If you can show that the money came from overseas that will strengthen you position.

You can point out that your legal wife is Thai, and therefore you only need 400K in the bank account.

400,000?....800,000?... It doesnt really matter to me. Right now Im just curious about the bank account rules. I havent seen anywhere that says if it has to be a personal account or if a joint account is acceptable.

I believe there is no written rule, but that each immigration officer makes up his own interpretation to the rules when in doubt.

I would be very interested to see if anyone can find the rule in print.

Thetyim,

The wife is Thai. This being Thailand, you know I cant go back to Nong Khai immigration and tell them they are wrong. Also, if I were to go to another immigration office, Im sure they would ask why Im there and not at my local immigration office.

Where did you get your information that the bank account can be a joint account, which is contrary to what immigration told me?

I have been on annual extensions for 10 years, eight of them I used a joint account to show money and no questions were ever asked.

I would not try going back to Nong Khai.

I would go to another office.

I have changed immigration office three times and when I asked why I just said this office was more convenient for me as I often visited friends nearby.

While it is sometimes problematical to apply judegement to immigration officer's actions, when their position seems logical, why fight it?

Clearly, if another person has access to the account you are asking immigration to accept as your proof of financial responsibility, the account could be cleaned out by the other person the day after your approved for another year, apparently destitute. The immigration officer approving your account would have some explaining to do.

Probably not a regulation, just common sense.

Likewise with insisting on a foreign origin for funds transferred into the account. I am sure that if you have made a bundle in Thailand before retiring and can prove it, those funds could be drawn on to prove financial responsibility, although higher level approval might be required.

While it is sometimes problematical to apply judegement to immigration officer's actions, when their position seems logical, why fight it?

Clearly, if another person has access to the account you are asking immigration to accept as your proof of financial responsibility, the account could be cleaned out by the other person the day after your approved for another year, apparently destitute.  The immigration officer approving your account would have some explaining to do.

Probably not a regulation, just common sense.

Likewise with insisting on a foreign origin for funds transferred into the account.  I am sure that if you have made a bundle in Thailand before retiring and can prove it, those funds could be drawn on to prove financial responsibility, although higher level approval might be required.

Recently met a Canadian couple at C/M Imm who were told told to go open separate bank a/c,s as their funds were in a joint a/c and this was not acceptable when applying for an O.A visa . They were both canadian citizens.

Thetyim,

Ok in all fairness to immigration in Nong Kia, on a similar issue I did challenge thier position and did contact the, then commander, the commander instructed them to follow the law. That was two years ago, they have never mentioned the incident and have always treated me unfairly.

I have been yelled once for being late on a 90 day reporting, but that was my fault and I deserved it. They could have fined me but they didn't, simply appoligized for my errror. and it was finished.

I think in most instances they mean well, but sometime misinterput the law. I would never directly challenge them in front of thier coworkers or other foriegners. Just like the rest of us they do have ego's.

Beileve me if I'm told that I need a bank account in my name only, I will just simply go get one. Not that difficult and if it makes them happy, it is well worth the hour that it will take to do it. Same with the physical. I will only challenge them if I have to, no use wasting ammo that you might need later.

Edited by ray23

It might be insensitive to go to an alternative LOCAL office.

But if you went to the Head Office in Bangkok - I would think

that would be acceptable to Nong Khai - if they notice on your next visit.

Of course Bangkok might not be convenient to you.

BUT - you definitely need a simple Madical Cert.

That was made quite plain to me 11 months ago

when I extended my Retirement Visa in Bangkok.

I was told - the Regulations now require a Medical Cert. -

we didn't insist on this from you this time - but you must

bring it next year.

Bill