Getting Hold O Schools In Thailand

Hi i live in the uk i am moving to thailand soonish and i have a hundred questions but a few of them consist of:

How do i get hold of schools or colleges to get a placement for my visa.

What is the average salary bearing in mind i will only have a TEFL.

What is the best area to look for work?

what are the best sites to get a TEFL to use as i dont want to be ripped off.

anything else such as ur own experiences etc would be much appreciated.

thanks people!

max

As a suggestion: start reading around the forum. Most of the information you've asked for is there- I particularly suggest the 'Questions About Qualifications' thread. Yes, it's long, but if you're moving here soon you'll want as much information as possible, right? You could also use the search function to find threads on TEFL programs, visa processes, etc.

As a starting point for your research, I'd suggest going to the pinned thread about Teaching Forum Guidelines and other info- it has a list of past FAQ threads which give some outline info for many of your questions. I'd advise reading the thread linked there regarding paperwork so that you understand how the whole visa game works (in theory, at least)- it's not simple, or transparent, or easy, or reliable, and most likely you will have to come to Thailand and find a placement before leaving again to get your first type B visa.

Good luck- I'll check in again to see if you have more specific questions now and then.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. There is a lot of information here and some of it may be confusing, so feel free to ask any questions. At the top of the forum are some banners for schools and it's worth taking a look at them and finding information about specific schools.

The major recruitment for the next school year will be occurring in April. Places will be looking for teachers in March and it will continue into May. After that it will drop off somewhat, so it's best if you are in the market around that time.

Salary will vary. Without a bachelor's degree you will find some places can't/won't hire you. Very roughly, you should expect a salary of around 25,000 - 35,000 baht (with no experience). Again, some people will say you can get more, but a lot of it has to do with luck and timing.

Best of luck and hopefully some posters who have traveled down your road recently will be along.

Average salary is like scott said 25-35k starting out with no exp. Bangkok is where the most jobs are and some of them will pay more but your cost of living is higher which eats up that extra pay. No school is going to give or help you with a visa, after you are hired they will extend your current visa along with getting your work permit. Some tefl schools will provide you with visa assistance and I highly recommend you use it to get a non-imm. b visa before you come. Most schools dont advertise for teachers, you put on a shirt and tie, prepare a cv\resume and hit the pavement, if you want a job dont be lazy and think sending out emails and resumes by mail will get you a job, not gonna happen. The main thing is dont come here on a shoestring budget thinking the thais are just waiting for another foreign teacher to step off the plane, have some money to live on for awhile so you can take your time and choose your job.

thanks for your replies if i take a TEFL in the uk is it recognised buy all TEFL schools or has each TEFL school got their own qualifications, how long would you suggest it will take me to find a job and how much money £ do you think i will need? im thinking of taking over a grand if i can.

thanks for your replies if i take a TEFL in the uk is it recognised buy all TEFL schools or has each TEFL school got their own qualifications, how long would you suggest it will take me to find a job and how much money £ do you think i will need? im thinking of taking over a grand if i can.

You'll arrive on your own if you do the course in the UK: no friends, no connections, no emergency support, no information about employers and no non-immigrant visa. IMO do the course in Thailand if you wish to live and work here.

1K uk pounds should get you through 2 or 3 months. Depends on how much you like nightlife.

You'll arrive on your own if you do the course in the UK: no friends, no connections, no emergency support, no information about employers and no non-immigrant visa. IMO do the course in Thailand if you wish to live and work here.

1K uk pounds should get you through 2 or 3 months. Depends on how much you like nightlife.

Errrrrrrrr 1k UK is only 53,000 baht at todays exchange rate.

Take into account deposits on an apartment etc..............its hardly going to be enough for the 1st month.....let alone 2.

Errrrrrrrr 1k UK is only 53,000 baht at todays exchange rate.

Take into account deposits on an apartment etc..............its hardly going to be enough for the 1st month.....let alone 2.

In Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya you are right. In Chiang Mai he'd easily last 2 or 3 months with that amount if he doesn't constantly eat western food and chase bar girls. My experience in CM is that apartments only ask for 1 month deposit and you can find good apartments for 2,500 baht up per month. Thai food costs around 20-25 baht per plate.

In Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya you are right. In Chiang Mai he'd easily last 2 or 3 months with that amount if he doesn't constantly eat western food and chase bar girls. My experience in CM is that apartments only ask for 1 month deposit and you can find good apartments for 2,500 baht up per month. Thai food costs around 20-25 baht per plate.

Ahhhhhhhh ok.

Would you believe I have never neen to CM?

:)

Edited by Phatcharanan

Ahhhhhhhh ok.

Would you believe I have never neen to CM?

It's by far the nicest place in Thailand IMO. Come up, you may never leave.

Yes things are cheaper up north, but lets be real here, there is no way this person should come to thailand looking for work with no exp and only 1000 pd.s. in his pocket.Temptation and boredom will eat that up in less than a month. What about that cell phone and all the minutes he will use ? transportation costs or bike rental with fuel ? It will take him awhile to get used to 25 baht meals everyday and hey what about all those fun treks he will be tempted to do ? What will he do if he gets hurt or sick ? Sorry but I dont think he should come till he saves up enough money to live at least 3 or 4 months, maybe 4-5000 pd.s would be more realistic. Thailand is full of sad stories with a beginning like this one.

Thanks for the advice on the finances. The OP is talking about bringing 1,000 with him. That would be very a very tight budget unless he is talking about that being only spending money.

--Contact one of the TEFL schools and find out exact costs (including housing, deposits, estimates of electric, water etc.)

--Get yourself initial travel insurance to cover health and accident--it's so easy to get hurt or sick here when your new.

--take all the highest costs and then add at least 10% before coming.

Best of luck.

By the way, most everyone I've known who lived in CM have only complained about the transportation costs. For some reason it's not quite as easy or cheap to get around as it is in BKK. Maybe someone else can comment about that, but it's a factor to consider in selecting a school, accommodation etc.

Also, make sure your a person who reasonably enjoys the hilly areas. Your a long way from a beach (and pretty safe from a Tsunami, I might add).

Chiang Mai transportation - if you rely on taxis (songthaews) at the beginning, it is essential to make sure you stay close to your school, traffic jams are getting horrendous.

Even if you only plan to stay for a year or so, by far the best option is to buy a second-hand motorcycle, and sell when you leave. Many motorcycles are passed down from one teacher to another. If you are reluctant to drive a motorcycle, getting around will not only be a nightmare but also expensive.

I came to CM with about 50,000 baht in my pocket.... and it easily lasted four months, even though I had to buy lots of stuff just to set up and get started. (that did not include the motorcycle of course.... I only bought that after getting a job.) Depends how determined you are about coming here, willing to hold back for a while or wanting to indulge. And you can always find a job in a language centre or tutor until you land something better and more stable.

i will keep you informed definitely! i have a question for from my friend who i will be going with

I am leaving for thailand in early march with a friend. I know some contacts in chang mai and could obtain work. Although we are not applying for visas before we leave due to some circumstances. Hoow would we go about applying for either the O or B visa after we depart England? Could we go to Malaysia or something to sort it out? I know you cannot legally work in Thailand without a work permit, and you cannot obtain a work permit without a visa

we probably apply for visas and placements in chang mai before we leave aswell but ^

Do --- yes DO --- apply for a multiple non-imm visa from Hull BEFORE you leave the UK. You will be very very glad you did.

You cannot really get a visa IN Thailand (for Thailand) and the neighboring countries will likely only give you a single entry non-imm.

Edited by jdinasia

• 2 weeks later...
A 4-week decent TEFL course, earned recently in the UK.should be fine,

You could already start to look for a job in the UK. Please check: ajarn.com

Please consider that all schools will close in about one month for the summer break, try it in a few weeks and you’ll see lots of jobs. Good luck.

I will give this a shot. I came to Thailand a year ago. I took the TEFL course at Text and Talk in Bangkok. They helped me arrange my Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa. They offered to help find an apartment also, but I found my own. I stayed in a Thai apartment that was walking distance to the school and cost me 3900 baht a month including water and utilities. I arrived with $3000 US. This easily lasted me since all I was doing was taking the course. The other benifit of taking a course here is you have the posibility of teaching at the school when you finish. They also can help you find a job. If you work hard and treat finding a job as your job you will have no problem.

Tim