Need Information On This Tree

st11x

G'day,

I am looking for the name of this tree you can find in Thailand. They are usually also used as christmas trees.

We bought a couple of these and would like to know how to properly care for them. We have a couple of older ones that has some kind of white powdery thing growing on the leaves.

We were advised to spray some chemicals. That helped but the dogs didn't like it. Then a neighbor suggested spraying milk on it, but it is pretty smelly.

I cannot include the image here, but here is a link to it.

Tree

thanks

Matt

Hi,it looks like a Cryptomeria Japonica,it's used in Europe too as a ornamental tree.

It doesn't fear the cold,but it hates the air pollution and it cannot survive prolonged droughts.

I cannot be sure,but it seems your trees may suffer from some fungus,which can be nasty if there is lot of umidity in your place,lack of sunlight,or a bad drainage in the soil.

At the end i wouldn't bother to spray chemicals on the trees.If a tree doesn't adapt in your place,get rid of it and replace it with some different one,plenty of varieties to choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it is neither the Cryptomeria Japonica nor the Norfolk Island Pine. It looks like the former, but it doesn't have the cones. My neighbor has the latter.

Next time I'm at the flower markets, I'll ask for the Thai name.

Matt

What you mean is ต้นสน which is a rather general term for conifer trees (if this is the right English word). It is not a specific name for this tree, but only a name for a group of (quite different) trees, so this "name" does not really help...

Erwin

Edited by chinnotes

While walking around the compounds of the Royal Ratchaphruek in Chiang Mai, I saw many of this tree. By chance, one of them had a sign that tells of its name.

It's the Juniper Tree, or Juniperus Chinensis.

Still couldn't find any information about the white spots on the tree. Also, the lower parts of my trees are missing the needles on one side.

Matt

It's the Juniper Tree, or Juniperus Chinensis.

Still couldn't find any information about the white spots on the tree. Also, the lower parts of my trees are missing the needles on one side.

could you post a few zoom pictures of the white spots ? Then one of the tree in its environment ?

Might help to identify the problems :)