Schools, Police Prepare For New Semester’s Traffic

george

Schools, police prepare for new semester’s traffic jams

BANGKOK: -- In a warm-up for the new semester, schools in Bangkok are developing plans to help curb notorious traffic jams in their vicinity.

The Yuwawit Kindergarten on Soi Samsen 13, for one, plans to ask parents arriving by car to pick up their offspring to stick a sign with the name of their child on their windscreen with letters large enough for the teacher directing traffic at the school to see from afar. As soon as the teacher spots the student’s name, he can call colleagues to let the student go. This procedure is expected to ease traffic by allowing parents in cars to save time when collecting their kids instead of parking outside the school and thereby blocking traffic.

St Francis Xavier Convent, on Samsen Rd in Dusit district, has

in turn been asked by traffic police to release junior students first

and senior ones later so that parents don’t all turn up at the same time.

Bangkok Christian College, in Silom, gives walkie-talkies to its teachers to help police direct traffic in front of the school. As an added measure, police will cordon off part of the road to allow a walking lane for students and their parents. Maj Gen Panu Kerdlappol, commander of the Traffic Police Division, said that parents with children going to a new school should familiarise themselves with the way to get there so they don’t create added congestion by having to stop and ask for directions.

Roads that become especially congested after the start of new semesters include Samsen, Sathorn and Asoke, Panu said.

Police have also asked schools to brief parents about how to avoid creating traffic congestion. More than 200,000 leaflet guides will also be distributed to parents, include “dos and don’ts” tips such as not leaving schoolbags in the trunk so students can be let out faster.

Parents whose children study in boarding schools will also be advised to drop off their offspring on Sunday night, rather than Monday morning.

--The Nation 2005-05-04

These bigshots in their Benzs taking their little darlings to school will do whatever the ###### they like regardless of any new rules. Good Luck!!

Yes perish the thought of parking the car and walking 200 metres to pick up the spoiled offspring.

Police have also asked schools to brief parents .........include “dos and don’ts” tips such as not leaving schoolbags in the trunk so students can be let out faster.

Commonsense thru leaflets handed out by the police! How about an IV injection of discipline given by some army doctors as well? :o

Edited by Sphere

These bigshots in their Benzs taking their little darlings to school will do whatever the ###### they like regardless of any new rules. Good Luck!!

I had an argument - a little one-sided I must admit - with a 30+ Thai "lady" in her Benz last week. She had parked it across the doors at Big C, on the yellow cross-hatch pattern and against some "No Parking" cones. I was walking from the car park on the pedestrian walkway and all I could see in front of me - instead of the doors - was her in her Benz, engine running, air-con on, window open, elbow out. As I got closer I could see her looking at me, so for 10 seconds as I got nearer and nearer we kept eye contact. When I got to the end of the path and prepared to cross the road to reach the doors I held out both arms in front and said "Why not park over there?" and moved both arms slightly to the right, pointing to a spot 10 feet away from the doors. Well, you should have heard the filth that came out of her mouth! I just walked away laughing, knowing that she'd totally lost it, and would have to sit there with all the people looking at her. :o:D:D

What is it with middle age women, big hair and Mercs here?

I strongly believe that it is lack of attention from their middle aged husbands who have a crew-cut, a sports car and a 20 something mia noi. :D

:D:D I just thought - maybe she was looking at me thinking "Hmm, hansum man" and was expecting a chat-up line :D. Or maybe not.

She did say was waiting for someone - husband or mother - didn't quite hear it. But I did hear "Who the <deleted> are you to tell me to move" :o:D I couldn't be bothered to correct her - I didn't tell her to do anything, just asked "Why not park over there?"

In fact today, some Thai guy in a new multi-person carrier (is that what they're called?) did indeed park alongside the "No Parking" cones, but at least he wasn't blocking the doors.

One last thing, I did notice in Patong, outside the 7/11 on Rat Uthit 200 Pi Road near the Andaman Beach Suites, a guy with white gloves - and whistle - doing an excellent job keeping the road clear of bikes, making the bikes park properly. But you should've seen the faces of the girls as they were getting off their bikes for some som-tam and then being told to park in the line, out of the road.