The Crooked Hotel?

nephilim

Wondered if anyone can help me out... there's a building on the river, I was told that it was going to be a sofitel (or some such) when it was built, however, they found it leaned a couple of degrees and was so unsafe, it was sealed up and left for a decade.

Now, it's being fixed, as you all might have seen, but I'm looking for some facts beyond what I already know / have heard about the original owner / problem?

many thanks

Neph.

I have seen this hotel and heard the similar story about it being unsafe. The story I heard was that it had structural problems. I guess this could cover leaning.

I was also told that it was a powerplay/corruption issue that caused it being deemed unsafe and shut down.

I haven't been down to the river for ages, so I haven't seen the "repairs" in progress. How the h*ll do you repair a leaning building?

It was indeed to be a Sofitel- they took the signs off of it at about the same time as Central Group put the Sofitel name on their Central Lad Prao hotel.

I'm also curious to know the details / story behind this also if anyone knows!

Edited by bino

The developers ran out of money after the 97 crash - They had contracted Sofitel to manage the property hence its sign on the building.

I had not heard there were any structural problems but it would not surprise me.