No Testing

I think the OP is saying that he is here on a non-imm-Ed for studying Thai and that he wasn't tested.

It begs 2 questions.

1) How many times have you extended the visa?

2) Did you have the conversation with the officer in Thai or in English?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I renewed my ED visa at Chaengwattana yesterday afternoon and was certainly encouraged to show I could speak the language. I don't say it was a formal test, perhaps just a gentle inquiry to see whether, after 9 months, I had grasped the rudiments of the language.

What happened was this: when you go to the ED/Diplomatic/Elite section, your number is usually called from the main office in front of you. But there is an older guy, with an office round the corner (might be the boss), who wanders around and occasionally invites someone who is waiting, round to his office.

Once we were seated, he looked at my application and said: เรียนภาษาไทยหรือ, to which I replied in the affirmative, and he then asked me why I was interested in learning Thai, how long I'd been studying and whether anyone in my country spoke Thai. I even managed a mild joke, which seemed to please him.

As I say, I don't think it was a test as such, but if I'd been completely blank when he asked the first question, he might have been inspired to challenge me more formally.

If there is any form of inquiry, it won't kick in until you go for a second or third extension, I expect.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I renewed my ED visa at Chaengwattana yesterday afternoon and was certainly encouraged to show I could speak the language. I don't say it was a formal test, perhaps just a gentle inquiry to see whether, after 9 months, I had grasped the rudiments of the language.

What happened was this: when you go to the ED/Diplomatic/Elite section, your number is usually called from the main office in front of you. But there is an older guy, with an office round the corner (might be the boss), who wanders around and occasionally invites someone who is waiting, round to his office.

Once we were seated, he looked at my application and said: เรียนภาษาไทยหรือ, to which I replied in the affirmative, and he then asked me why I was interested in learning Thai, how long I'd been studying and whether anyone in my country spoke Thai. I even managed a mild joke, which seemed to please him.

As I say, I don't think it was a test as such, but if I'd been completely blank when he asked the first question, he might have been inspired to challenge me more formally.

If there is any form of inquiry, it won't kick in until you go for a second or third extension, I expect.

yes i told me where i stay i said Phom Hiou Ayutthaya sam pii leow and i said Tchop Ayutthaya mai so i said tchop mak loll

yes its the man seat around the corner Nice Man when and after that i said to him Ik Sam Deuan Phom Jak Kap Ma Tee nee hehe easy cheers all

I think the OP is saying that he is here on a non-imm-Ed for studying Thai and that he wasn't tested.

It begs 2 questions.

1) How many times have you extended the visa?

2) Did you have the conversation with the officer in Thai or in English?

i have conversation whit him in thai buth easy and i was there whit my Girl Friend